It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 2 of 5 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: I feel overwhelmed, thinking about rehoming a few...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:09 am 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
How do I ask my parents to let me keep them in the house? I don't like the aviary anymore! I can pay for the cage easily but trying to convince them to keep them home is very hard! I need ideas

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:04 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
There are probably some people who really do think birds are better than girls. And probably a lot of women who think birds are better than men lol. Because some birds ARE better than some people.

You could tell your father that you're afraid to use the aviary now because of the predator attack, but you're upset that your birds have to live in a small cage in the garage because this isn't a good living arrangement for them and it makes you feel like a bad bird owner. (BTW if there are cars going in and out of the garage it's an unsafe situation because of the exhaust fumes.) You would be much happier and your birds would be better off if you could keep them in the house. They could have more exercise and space and you could interact with them more, which is good for both you and them. You would like to keep them in (name a specific place like maybe your bedroom) where they wouldn't annoy the adults and other people in the house and you could clean up after them easily. Ask if this is possible, because if it isn't then you feel like your birds would be better off in a different home and giving them to someone else would make you very sad.

BTW it shows a lot of maturity and responsibility that you're putting your birds' needs ahead of your own desire to keep them. Your dad will probably see this if you tell him that you really want to keep them but it's more important to you for them to be happy and have a good life.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:22 am 
Conure
Conure

Quote:
You could tell your father that you're afraid to use the aviary now because of the predator attack, but you're upset that your birds have to live in a small cage in the garage because this isn't a good living arrangement for them and it makes you feel like a bad bird owner. (BTW if there are cars going in and out of the garage it's an unsafe situation because of the exhaust fumes.) You would be much happier and your birds would be better off if you could keep them in the house. They could have more exercise and space and you could interact with them more, which is good for both you and them. You would like to keep them in (name a specific place like maybe your bedroom) where they wouldn't annoy the adults and other people in the house and you could clean up after them easily. Ask if this is possible, because if it isn't then you feel like your birds would be better off in a different home and giving them to someone else would make you very sad.

This is amazing! Thank you so much! :D
I'll tell you how it goes!
No cars are parked in the garage, it's like a storage room :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:55 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good luck! I'm glad to hear that there aren't any cars using the garage. I thought about mentioning it sooner, but the birds were obviously surviving and you had so much to worry about already that I hesitated. I was sure you already knew about fume hazards so I figured it was probably OK.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:30 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Barbara
Gave happy chirps: 494 times
Got happy chirps: 115 times
i am sorry to have to say this about anyone, but Baruch, how old are your cousins? They don't seem very bright to me unless they are 7 or 8yo then maybe they are just about normal. Otherwise, maturity level is very very low and, even though you are a young man yourself, you need to be the bigger man and completely ignore them. I mean it, these are pretty dumb jokes by any standard.

If you fail to convince your dad to help move the birds inside, would you be able to trolley the new cage in and out of the garage?
You need to do the best with what you got.
Good point 1 = you live in a warm climate.
Good point 2 = you can use the garage.
Good point 3 = you have an aviary.

If you get one of those great big cages that can be trolleyed around, you could keep the birds nice and safe in the garage at night and whenever you feel you can't be there to protect them.
The rest of the time, you trolley the cage outside and place them in whatever good outside space is near.
Also, you can still use the aviary to let them have a good fly around.

I don't know if that's doable, not sure about the floor plant of your house of course, but to be honest if I lived in Florida, I had an empty garage and an outside aviary that's how I would probably keep mines.

I understand that you want them inside the house with you, but I can also appreciate your parents' doubt about such a big group moving in.
If you manage with the garage and the big nice cage, you might be able to place a small cage in your room and ask for permission to bring one or two of them inside for a few hours; in a few weeks your parents would be more used to see them inside and see by themselves that they are not such a big disruption.
From there to a complete move-in, if you play it well I can see success in the future.

Of course I hope your talk with your father will have a positive outcome; but if it doesn't... well, consider different strategies. Don't give up :)
You could ask for exclusive use of the garage, after all it's used as a utility room, you say; if you can do that, you'd be able to transform it in a seriously great bird room.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:39 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
Garage as a bird room... wow.. Id
love that.. good advise there.. think what you
could do with that...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:10 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Barbara
Gave happy chirps: 494 times
Got happy chirps: 115 times
Exactly! A good screen inside so you have like a double door to avoid them escaping when you enter the garage; you push all the other stuff in a corner and cover it nicely; some music for the tiels... that could be a great recreation room for yourself too.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:36 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The parents probably need the storage space and it might not be practical to make the whole garage bird-safe. It would be ideal if some walls could be put up in a corner to make a separate room, but that idea works better with basements than with garages. A permanent room in a basement can be very functional, but somebody might want to put a car in the garage someday.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:13 am 
Conure
Conure

There is no air conditioning in the garage

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:27 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's going to be a problem in the summer which gives you one more argument about why you need to move the birds into the house.

Page 2 of 5 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next