It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 5 of 5 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: I feel overwhelmed, thinking about rehoming a few...
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:01 am 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
Quote:
I have a very different view of the situation. Your birds are helping you develop qualities that will serve you very well later in life. To be a good birdkeeper you have to do research on what needs to be done, and you also have to be responsible enough to actually do it. Do you know how many mothers are mad because their kids promised to take care of the pets and then didn't do it? Your mother should be dancing with joy at how responsible you are, and the ability to figure out what needs to be done and then do it will carry over into your job, your family life, and any other aspect of life that you can think of.

You're also learning to be aware of the needs of others and to take care of those needs even if it means making some sacrifices yourself. There aren't nearly enough men with those traits, and you're basically setting yourself up to be a desirable partner in future relationships. Even the fact that you have money to buy a big bird cage when you need one is a good indicator that you know how to use money well, and can save up and budget for the things that matter to you instead of blowing every nickel you get your hands on.

I don't know whether you have any idea yet of what you'd like to do in the future. But birds can be an introduction of sorts into the world of science and medicine. Reading up on cockatiels teaches you about topics like genetics, instinct, and natural behavior, plus the types of illnesses and accidents that can occur and what to do about them. If you know how sex-linked mutations work then you already know more about genetics than most people in the world, and you can go a lot deeper if you want to.

Talking to people on bird boards helps teach you how to figure out the difference between good advice and bad advice, and also the power of productive social networking where you learn from more experienced people and you become a teacher of less experienced people. This ability to work with others has huge applications in the workforce. You have also learned that if you breed birds and do it right you'll be lucky to break even, so bird owner isn't a career option it can only be a hobby lol.

I showed my mom a much cheaper cage and my mom asked "what's wrong with the aviary?" So I told her about the raccoon attack and my mom said that they are protected and nothing can touch them so I told her that someone lost half of their birds because they for scared and panicked and my mom said

They must live in the aviary! You are too obsess with them and when I see addiction, I take it away! You have to be in the middle, when I see your crossing the line it means that I have to get rid of them
Why don't you use tap water? They aren't humans, they are BIRDS! They drink from the dirty water. That's how they live! I really dont want to get rid if them but when I see addiction I must!
I'm doing you a favor to let them stay in the garage. I am expecting them out of there and in the big cage by next week!

I was going to tell her that i would rather them go to a loving home than to live with me but I got to nervous because I knew that this would be the biggest mistake

Should I look for a new home now?

Post subject: Re: I feel overwhelmed, thinking about rehoming a few...
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:53 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
My advice is to not do anything about the birds right now, there's too much school-related turmoil going on and everyone will be able to think more clearly after that settles down at least a little bit. Try not to even worry about the bird issue for a while and see how the situation develops. The birds are safe where they are as long as the weather doesn't heat up, which probably means that you have until late April/early May (which is when it gets hot around here). I know you'd like to have this settled, but you want it to be settled in your favor not in a way that forces you to get rid of your birds. So try to relax and go with the flow for a while, and hope for the best. The school stuff that happened today ought to be a big wake-up call for your parents, and maybe they'll rethink their position on the birds as well as looking for a solution to the school issue.

Page 5 of 5 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5