Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: My parakeet Olivia
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:54 am 
Finch
Finch

Name: Tohru
Gave happy chirps: 14 times
Got happy chirps: 4 times
Please tell me if I mess up my bird wings. I clip them,I did not hit a blood father. She is 5 months old is age ok. Please do not judge or yell at me. I already got yelled at by a person,telling me that I hack a photos when they are my bird on facebook. And She molten still.

This is Olivia wings before clipping

Here her right wing

Her left wing sorry about the flash,she would not stay still.

My mom going to help me fix it. Its my first time clipping wings. I watch video before clipping them

:feedback:

Post subject: Re: My parakeet Olivia
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:17 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Some people are opposed to clipping and others are greatly in favor of it. On this forum everyone can have their own opinion but we don't judge people who have a different opinion, so people can disagree with you if they want to but they're not allowed to yell at you lol.

It's not the smoothest clip job that I've ever seen but there's nothing wrong with it. The most common problems with clipping are taking too many feathers or cutting the feathers too short, and you didn't do either one of those things. You cut the primary feathers but not the secondaries which is good. And you kept the primaries longer than the coverts (the row of feathers that sits on top of the primaries) which is also good. If you want to do a little trimming to give the cut feathers a smooth edge that's OK, but the length right now is fine so don't try to make them a lot shorter.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:37 am 
Finch
Finch

tielfan wrote:
Some people are opposed to clipping and others are greatly in favor of it. On this forum everyone can have their own opinion but we don't judge people who have a different opinion, so people can disagree with you if they want to but they're not allowed to yell at you lol.

It's not the smoothest clip job that I've ever seen but there's nothing wrong with it. The most common problems with clipping are taking too many feathers or cutting the feathers too short, and you didn't do either one of those things. You cut the primary feathers but not the secondaries which is good. And you kept the primaries longer than the coverts (the row of feathers that sits on top of the primaries) which is also good. If you want to do a little trimming to give the cut feathers a smooth edge that's OK, but the length right now is fine so don't try to make them a lot shorter.

thank you :cheery:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:19 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
Very good for a fist time...
Just trim them to smooth out the feathers..
Only a little..
I clip my P'lets and Budgie.. not my tiels tho' I find it helps..
If you buy a small pair of nail scissors, straight edged... you'll find they are easier to use when trimming.. I keep mine just for this.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:22 am 
Finch
Finch

Jan wrote:
Very good for a fist time...
Just trim them to smooth out the feathers..
Only a little..
I clip my P'lets and Budgie.. not my tiels tho' I find it helps..
If you buy a small pair of nail scissors, straight edged... you'll find they are easier to use when trimming.. I keep mine just for this.

Thank you Jan. :) :cheery:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:37 am 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
This is a very friendly and loving forum! The person that told you off in Facebook was very rude and cold hearted! You seem like a very loving bird owner and I can tell that you want the best. Some people think that clipping is bad and if they see a clipped bird they will beat themselfs up because they think it's torcher...but in face, it can make taming easier for the both of you and when you let the bird out it might start flying around the room and then we have to run around and try to grab them with a towel. Which makes them think that we are predictors

So please, don't mind that person and just keep loving your birds they way you do :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:51 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Barbara
Gave happy chirps: 494 times
Got happy chirps: 115 times
I don't really agree with you Baruch, taming can be done in the same amount of time without clipping, with enormous psychological advantages.
This said, jumping to someone's throat for clipping their birds is ignorant and counter productive, in my experience.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:53 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Quote:
taming can be done in the same amount of time without clipping

A lot depends on the skill and knowledge of the person doing the taming. An inexperienced person with an unclipped bird needs to work with them in a small confined area so they don't end up having to chase the bird all over the house trying to get it back in the cage. If they don't know this, or if they don't have a suitable area to work in, they're better off working with a clipped bird. Personally I think it's safer for birds to be clipped while they're settling into a new home, because sooner or later the owner will probably want to take them out of the small room and into the main house, with panic flying and crashing into things likely to occur shortly afterward. A clipped bird has a long period of time where it can learn about the features of the house, without being able to fly fast enough to kill itself crashing into a window. The wing feathers can be allowed to grow in later.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:35 pm 
Finch
Finch

tielfan wrote:
Quote:
taming can be done in the same amount of time without clipping

A lot depends on the skill and knowledge of the person doing the taming. An inexperienced person with an unclipped bird needs to work with them in a small confined area so they don't end up having to chase the bird all over the house trying to get it back in the cage. If they don't know this, or if they don't have a suitable area to work in, they're better off working with a clipped bird. Personally I think it's safer for birds to be clipped while they're settling into a new home, because sooner or later the owner will probably want to take them out of the small room and into the main house, with panic flying and crashing into things likely to occur shortly afterward. A clipped bird has a long period of time where it can learn about the features of the house, without being able to fly fast enough to kill itself crashing into a window. The wing feathers can be allowed to grow in later.

Thank you I can not run around chasing her,because of my ankle. I do hurt it running around,and I have to be careful.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:36 pm 
Finch
Finch

Haimovfids wrote:
This is a very friendly and loving forum! The person that told you off in Facebook was very rude and cold hearted! You seem like a very loving bird owner and I can tell that you want the best. Some people think that clipping is bad and if they see a clipped bird they will beat themselfs up because they think it's torcher...but in face, it can make taming easier for the both of you and when you let the bird out it might start flying around the room and then we have to run around and try to grab them with a towel. Which makes them think that we are predictors

So please, don't mind that person and just keep loving your birds they way you do :D

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]