Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: They are back in their aviary
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:42 pm 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
I cleaned the whole aviary and garage yesterday. Then, I moved all my cockatiels back in the aviary.

My parents invited all of my relatives (my grandfather included) so I was a bit nervous. I obsessively cleaned everything I can possibly clean. I spend my whole Friday cleaning. My parents invited my relatives for Friday night and Saturday afternoon to eat and when the would before my grandfather would always go to them with a pissed face and he would look around for anything that is messy, and if he can't find anything messy to call me out for, then he would just look at their poop and then tell me how they are a waste of money and that I should get rid of them. then he would walk away with an angry face.

So when I was home I tried not paying any attention to them or else my grandfather would go out and do the usual. And hey! He actually didn't go out this time Whoohoo! :raspberry:

Let me tell you a little about my cousins, they are twins that were born a day after me.
So cousin#1 is the one that makes fun of me and cousin#2 'didn't'
So surprisingly cousin#1 didn't say anything about them :D

And on Friday night cousin#2 asked me to come outside so I could show him my birds so I said OK and went with him. He noticed that there was less than his last visit so he asked me and I told him about the attack and then he started asking some more questions and then we went back inside. He seemed interested in them but the next morning we were walking to my house and we started talking about our weights, he said he weighs around 150 and then he asked me my weight so I answered 110.

So he said that I am weak and that he can take me down with a pinky so I told him that he was just fat lol
He then got a little upset so he started telling me how weight wasn't just from fat. He said how he is heavy boneded. So I said "I read online that there isn't such think as being born heavy boneded" and he said "OK mister doctor, a PET doctor!"
What the heck was that for?!? LOL

also, my teacher somehow figured out that I liked birds and he announced it to the whole class and my classmate didn't stop laughing at me for the past week! :(

Post subject: Re: They are back in their aviary
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
It's good that your family has started behaving better. Who knows, maybe one of your parents asked them not to harass you about the birds. So now they're making comments about body weight lol. People can always find something to make snide remarks about if they want to.

BTW the internet disagrees on whether a person can be big boned or not. I've always thought it was real because my personal bone structure is pretty small, with wrists so skinny it's hard to find watches that fit. But bone structure doesn't have much effect on your weight and body fat is still body fat no matter how big your bones are. You can be big-boned and either fat or thin, or you can be small-boned and either fat or thin.

I don't know what's wrong with your classmates though, they must desperately need something to laugh at so they can briefly forget the misery of this school. Just ignore them, they're trying to get a reaction from you. It's called a drama reward when someone tries to provoke you and they succeed. A lot of people think it's cool to have pet birds, and there were a couple of kids at my son's school who got their own pet birds after they came to our house and met our birds.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

P.S. Have you come up with any safety precautions to help keep the birds safe at night?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:34 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
Wow, your family really needs something to talk about. I wouldn't know anything about big boned or whatever. Everything on me is tiny. Both my parents and grandparents were tiny, so I'm genetically small. I always have that nasty rumor hanging above me that I am anorexic. That is until they see me eat. I'm a dumpster. :lol:

Your family reminds me of my Uncle Dan. Finds one thing that gets under your skin and he'll never leave you alone. So now everytime I see him I have to hear about JetBlue and Michelle Chamuel losing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:45 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
Just say.... its my interest ,what's yours?
You never know you may find common ground to
chat about.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:09 am 
Conure
Conure

I guess they tease just for the fun of it!

Quote:
P.S. Have you come up with any safety precautions to help keep the birds safe at night?

The cage is double wired, they have been there for 2 nights and thankfully there wasn't any accidents :D

What should I do about marshmallow? She can't do anything in the aviary because her father and Bio keep bothering her. When I go in the aviary Marshmallow flys on my head because her father can't go near her because he is too scared of me, but Bio bothers her a lot

I'm going to post a video of what happens when I move marshmallow to a perch when nobody is there, you will see how Georgie acts. He is also very territorial to her, I can't give her scritches because Georgie keeps threatening to bite me

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:28 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Here's a wicked thought... ask for permission to move Marshmallow into the house since the males want to mate with her and you don't want her to have babies right now. Your parents might not want birds in the house but they probably want babies in the aviary even less lol. If you can put another female with her for companionship that would be good.

Plan B is to use hormone control (especially on the males) to stop all this romantic activity. But because of your school schedule you might not be home enough to do the long nights treatment. It's basically impossible to control the apparent day length in an aviary, but if you move the birds into the garage or house at night with a heavy cover it can be done easily enough. If you go with hormone control, explain the process to your parents so they know you've done your research and are acting responsibly to achieve a goal that they will like (birdie birth control). There's info on hormone control at http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/i ... mones.html

Double wiring is good. It won't prevent predators from trying to break into the aviary, but it makes it impossible for them to grab birds through the wire.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:36 am 
Conure
Conure

Quote:
Your parents might not want birds in the house but they probably want babies in the aviary even less lol.

Believe it or not, my parents don't mind the birds having babies, they actually encourage me to let them lol

I'll try asking but I don't think they would let marshmallow in the house, she is molting and the house can get really feathery and dusty and I don't have any time to clean them because of school.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:53 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If the design of the aviary allows it, you could put a removable partition in the aviary so some birds could be kept separate from others when necessary. You'd basically need a wire panel with a door in it so you could walk from one section to the other, and of course you'd need to have food and water cups in both sections.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:44 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Barbara
Gave happy chirps: 494 times
Got happy chirps: 115 times
Yes or you can make a partition using a corner and a wire panel

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]