All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Getting rid of birds
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:06 am 
Finch
Finch

Gave happy chirps: 47 times
Got happy chirps: 10 times
Life has really turned lousy.......in particuliar the last few days. Over the weekend we thought I was going to have to put down one of my dogs. She had been in terrible pain and the vet had sent us to the Emergency Animal hospital for a sonogram which they could not do. They ended up taking x-rays and saying that she had some tumors that probably were cancerous. We were considering putting her down but I wanted to have my regular vet take one more look at her. She sent us somewhere else for sonogram which showed no tumors. She has a back problem which is treatable and she now is doing better. Needless to say when I thougt I was going to loose her I cried many tears.

Now today I have lost my Smokey. I was outside and coming in; I only crack the door just a little and he got out. He was my brd. Everyone thought he was mean because he would not have anything to do with anyone else. But he and I understood each other and we loved each other. When he was in a bad mood I left him alone, when I was sad he would sit with me. He even slept with me a couple of times. He was very intimaded by the other birds

I obviously can't take care of the birds and am so tired of the pain.
I am thinking I will just give away or sell them all. I'm just not a good bird owner. :( :cry: :cry: :cry:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Getting rid of birds
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:22 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
I'm sorry things aren't going well. Don't do anything yet, just hang in there for at least a couple of weeks and chances are good you'll start feeling better and be glad you have your birds. Put out some flyers in the neighborhood for Smokey and post 'lost bird' ads online, and you might be able to get him back. If a bird has to escape, this is just about the best time of year for it to happen - we're well into spring but the summer heat hasn't arrived yet, and some plants will already be producing seeds.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:42 am 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
Please don't do anything yet. I have felt frustrated many times and wanted to give my birds away but I didn't, I'm I am so glad I didn't. I was feeling frustrated a couple of days ago, and I felt that nothing was giving me pleasure so I didn't interact with my birds for 2-3 days, and I felt so much better! Now, I am bringing them inside and having the best time with them. (I never useful bring them inside the house)

Just hang in there. I have hope that you will find Smokey, especially since you saw him escape.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 10:16 am 
Finch
Finch

I'm going outside to look again. I have been out several times. He and I would play a gam where he would whistle a few notes and I would mimick him. He loved it. I am doing those notes outside hoping he will hear me.

I feel everyone thinks I am a terrible bird owner to have let this happen and I certainly know Smokey is wondering where I am.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 10:30 am 
Conure
Conure

you are NOT a terrible owner! you are super nice and caring. those people that are judging you are very wrong. I lost 3 birds due to fly-outs. Accidents happen, its okay.

make lost bird ads, give as many details as you can about him, put a picture of him, the word "reward" will be attractive to the eye. loo at children playgrounds. since he flew today, he won't be too far.
Contact local pet shops in case if someone finds him. Leave his cage out with food and water. I have hope that you will find him.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 7:52 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Some birds have escape powers that are almost magical, and it sounds like Smokey is one of them - he got out through a door that was open just a crack. Squeebis can fly through a door that's open about an inch and a half wide, and it's basically impossible to defend against something like that. If you try to shut the door before the bird can get through, you might close the door ON the bird and kill it. I know of several cases where that happened.

It's impossible to be on the alert every single moment, and we've all had situations where something happened that was theoretically preventable. But we're only human and can't guard against everything that might possibly happen. Mistakes and accidents are part of life and there's no way to avoid them all. There are worse things that could have happened - at least Smokey is still alive so you have a chance to get him back.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:03 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Barbara
Gave happy chirps: 494 times
Got happy chirps: 115 times
Hey, these guys (most of them) are escapists, the fact that one of them managed to make it doesn't mean that you are a terrible owner!
This is something that can happen to everybody! Please don't be hard on yourself, instead try to concentrate on the positive facts: he is flighted, that means that he's in a very good position to fend for himself while you look for him. And as Tielfan says, there's plenty of food around.
Either you will find him, or hopefully someone else will, you have no idea how many tiels are found every year! One of my own guys is a rescue who was found nice and placid sitting on a tree in a children school playground, he must have come from very far so the owner was never found.
But now with all the bullettins and internet rescue pages you have a good chance to be reunited even if he has gone quite far from home.
Don't give up hope and be kind with yourself please!!! :hug: :hug:

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:58 pm 
Conure
Conure

How are you feeling?

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:38 pm 
Finch
Finch

Have not found Smoley but I keep hoping that he is still in the area. I love my other birds but I didn't realize how attached I was to him.

I am not as stressed as I was and the rest of the birds do give me joy so I do plan on keeping them.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 4:49 am 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Name: hannah
Gave happy chirps: 46 times
Got happy chirps: 23 times
That's fantastic!

Caspian, and Gracie.....(cockatiels)
  Profile E-mail  

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next