Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: uh-oh......
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 6:13 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Name: hannah
Gave happy chirps: 46 times
Got happy chirps: 23 times
Gracie is laying eggs again.....it looks like they want to breed. She laid her first egg today. I don't feel like I have the heart to freeze or boil the eggs.....should I let them breed again? Its only been about a month and a half since the last clutch....is it safe? Is egg binding a concern for me?

Caspian, and Gracie.....(cockatiels)
  Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: uh-oh......
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:04 am 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
Have you seen them mate? Do you want to breed them? If not, separate them (if possible) until their hormones go down. Give them a 14 hour night. Limit their food so they don't feel like they have enough for babies. Move their cage in different areas if the room, and rotate their toys, perches, food bowls etc

Replace all their eggs with dummy eggs, and let them sit on it for at least 21 days.

I never tried this but I think it may work: once the eggs are at least a week old, take them from the parents and leave them out for the whole night. Take one egg at a time and be sure to give it back.

Last edited by Feathers on Thu May 29, 2014 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:30 am 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Name: hannah
Gave happy chirps: 46 times
Got happy chirps: 23 times
I have seen them try to mate...but they stopped when I walked in. I don't really mind if they breed, I just don't want there to be any health risks for Gracie.

Caspian, and Gracie.....(cockatiels)
  Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:51 am 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
Make sure she has a cuddle bone available at all times. Give her lots of dark leafy greens. Make sure she also gets lots of sunshine - so she can absorb the calcium because sun has vitamin D.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 8:48 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Egg binding is always a risk, but a good diet with plenty of calcium and vitamin D3 lowers the risk considerably. Getting lots of exercise (including flying/flapping) is also helpful since it helps strengthen the muscles involved in delivering the egg.

Providing the vitamin D is the tricky part since it's hard to get it in natural foods. If she eats pellets she'll get D3 in those. Cooked egg yolk also has D3 and calcium. If she gets outside for direct sunlight it will help her make her own vitamin D - sunlight that passes through a window screen or glass doesn't count. You can buy liquid calcium supplements for birds that have D3 for easy absorption. Here's an example: http://www.morningbirdproducts.com/prod ... mplus.html

Full spectrum lights can be a substitute for sunlight, but finding a good bulb is tricky. There's lots of info on this at http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/i ... hting.html

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]