Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: They're breaking my heart
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:22 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
Don't worry, none of my birds are, but remember my cockatoo Baby Girl? Well, I'm up at the cabin again and of course I had to go see her. I was praying she got adopted and guess what? SHE'S STILL THERE. She's in worse feather condition than before. Thank goodness she's not plucking, but she basically has hair she's so scraggly. And some others I recognized from last time were still there. My Amazon buddy who my dad named Groucho. He loves my dad. The sad thing was they both remembered us. But I promised BG if she was still there next time I came in, I'd have fresh fruit and vegetables cut for them. And she was, so I gave her and Grouch some healthy goodies. Baby's a fruit girl. Groucho likes vegetables. And a new pitiful soul was there, a blue and gold I named Maui. She didn't look too bad, but she needed something too, so I gave her fresh fruit and vegetables. She too, liked fruit. I snuck them food when the man working wasn't around. He was feeding them all seeds. Even the big parrots and toos. I looked around past my 3 babies. A parakeet needed its beak trimmed. So did a sun conure. A goffin's cockatoo had mutilated herself. A canary was puffed up and sick. 4 untame cockatiels had no crests and hardly a tail or no tail at all. A eastern rosella was very frightened and alone.

It wasn't just birds. There were at least 20 large rats in one cage. The chinchillas fought. Their enclosures where all gnawed. The rodents and birds got no fresh food. Just rodent pellets and bird seed.

This isn't right. I need to call in. The animals are not getting taken care of properly. Now, here's the problem, they get their cage bottoms changed everyday, they get water everyday, and they get food everyday, but the food is terrible and none of the animals are let out or interacted with. What number call I call to report this? And do you think I have a chance?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: They're breaking my heart
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Animal care issues are regulated by local law so a local organization will be in charge of enforcement. This is usually operated by the county, so google the county name along with the words animal neglect or animal cruelty, and see what comes up. The nearest Humane Society might be able to help too, either directly or by telling you who to call.

Your chances of getting help for the animals will depend on exactly what the local law requires. In some places, the conditions you described might meet the requirements. In other places it won't. When you make your call you can ask them whether this is legal or not. It does sound like the medical needs aren't being met which is probably illegal.

About the cockatoo... the larger cockatoos are notorious for self-plucking and mutilation, and it's not always possible to figure out what the problem is and solve it. So it might not be the caretakers fault. I know some very diligent bird owners who have consulted vets and done everything they can think of to solve their cockatoo's plucking and self-mutilating problem, and the only thing that really works is to put a collar on the bird.

Good luck, I hope you can get some help for the animals!

Post subject: Re: They're breaking my heart
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:39 am 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
I am sorry that Baby Girl didn't get adopted yet.

20 rats in a bird cage? thats really unsafe. Poor birds :(

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]