All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 1 of 12 [ 120 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: nest for wild birds
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:37 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 19 times
Got happy chirps: 49 times
Last summer robin made a nest above my front yard on the tree. When it was very windy, her babies fell out, I put them back, then they fell out again, and while I was figuring out a better solution, one of them fell out his final time and didn't make it thru. The reason why they kept falling out, except high wind, was that there were no room for all of them. I decided to make one wooden nest and attach it under the roof of my house.
Oh, some time after, both surviving babies mystically disappeared , and mom looked upset. I didn't see them fledging around.
My question is - do I need to provide bedding (I was thinking same pine shavings) or they would prefer to collect bedding themselves? It's not guaranteed that they would like my nest at all, or maybe it's too late by now?

Post subject: Re: nest for wild birds
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:39 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Robins don't nest in an enclosed box like cockatiels do. In the wild, cockatiels find a hole in a tree and nest in that, while robins make their own nest out of twigs. If you can provide an open box or a secure platform, they might be able to make use of that. You won't need to provide bedding because they'll collect their own materials. It sounds like a predator might have gotten the babies however. The parents might not want to nest in that spot again because it was unsuccessful the first time.

Here's what a typical robin's nest looks like:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:00 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

wow, are eggs really that color, or it is Easter compilation? :) they are pretty!
Yes, I know not to give them enclosed box. I was thinking a platform surrounded by walls, with no top.
I don't know about the same parents, but we have plenty of other robins around (who look sooo nesty) and I just feel bad for them when we have inclement weather, and we have it often. Today we expect EF2 or stronger tornado.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:10 am 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Name: Steph
Gave happy chirps: 71 times
Got happy chirps: 33 times
The weather is so scary now. I hope you can find a solution.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:41 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Robins' eggs are naturally blue! The species is designed to survive with their current nest-building skills, but I don't doubt that some babies are lost due to overcrowding in the nest or weather problems. You can certainly try giving them a little assistance if you want to, but there's no guarantee that they'll use it.

At least robins weave a nice tight nest. The mourning doves out here build such loose nests that I don't see how they manage to raise babies successfully. But there are mourning doves all over the place so it must work.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:23 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

last time the nest was elongated down, but it was stuffed with something, so that only top part was available for sitting there. The 3 babies were OK until they grew pretty big (they had pin feathers) and it got extremely windy. Actually putting babies back wasn't a good thing for me to do as I could see that there were no enough room for 3 and they would fall out again. I was thinking to hang up a basket right under the nest so it would catch the baby who falls out. But it wasn't easy to do. One died when he fell the next time, and 2 others just disappeared several days later.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:53 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Gave happy chirps: 1 time
Got happy chirps: 25 times
Carolyn, I often wonder how doves manage to survive (and so well!) with their dinky, wonky, weird nests. They always seem to be in such dumb spots too, like at an elementary school within reach of the children and such. It obviously works for them though, there are always plenty of dove parts strewn about my front yard because we have a large hawk in the neighborhood who loves one of our large mesquite trees to eat his/her meals. Even with the morbid dove graveyard that is our front yard, they flock to our back yard in droves to eat the thrown out left overs from my birds' bowls. (Yes, I realize I'm setting up a buffet for the hawk but I like the hawk and there are zillions of doves and nature's circle of life and all that)

What are the birds that make those sturdy nests in the cholla cacti? Now those things are near indestructible. They last for years, even though it seems like they only use the nest once and then make a new one every year.

Edited to add: robin's eggs are so pretty!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:04 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cactus wrens make really nice nests in the cholla, so that's probably the one you're thinking about. There are other birds that can make good nests in cactus too.

I have a hawk buffet in the back yard too. It's really supposed to be a buffet for doves, quail, goldfinches, etc, but you can't put out a picnic for those guys without having the hawks crash the party too. I think it's beneficial for the smaller birds overall - a few of them get picked off by the hawk but most of them don't, and the easy supply of food and water enhances their survival. Every now and then I get a smart hawk who figures out that it's easier to catch the doves if he chases them toward the house, and I seem to have one of those right now. The doves bounce off the window and he catches them on the rebound.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:49 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Gave happy chirps: 1 time
Got happy chirps: 25 times
Ooo, that IS smart! We used to have a smaller hawk that lived in our neighborhood who used our large mesquite as his/her dinner table but a couple of years ago, a larger one took over the territory. I felt sort of bad for the other hawk but either way, they are exciting to watch even if it is gross to see them rip apart their prey.

I think the old hawk was a Harris hawk but I'm not sure about the new one. I need to try to get a picture, but they're very wary and I usually am only able to watch one when I'm inside and watching them through the window, which makes taking a picture hard. I just know that the new one is larger, large enough that I was able to notice the difference.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:02 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The hawks in my neighborhood are Coopers Hawks, and that's the species that's known for figuring out the "chase them into the window" trick. It's bad enough when they do it with a dove, but when they do it with a quail it sounds like somebody fired a cannonball at the house. The quail are a lot heavier than the doves and there's considerably more impact. I'm afraid that they're going to break a window one of these days, but so far the glass is holding up.

Harris Hawks usually hunt in family groups, so you may have had several of them in your area. They're the only hawk species that hunts cooperatively.

Page 1 of 12 [ 120 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next