It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 10 of 12 [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: nest for wild birds
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:54 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 19 times
Got happy chirps: 49 times
She walked up my stairs. If I didn't see she was on the porch and would open the door, I would hit her with the door. I waited until she moved away a bit then I opened the door and put some seeds in front of her, but that scared her and she flew back under the tree. I could see that her flight isn't confident yet.
I will be going to the store to see of they have any mixes for doves.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:22 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Do you think I should perch her on a low tree branch for the night?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:45 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
It wouldn't do any harm to put her there if she'll let you. If she'd rather be on the ground she can always fly down again, but she'd probably feel safer in a tree.

Wildlife rehabbers are usually stretched pretty thin. It might work better if you can bring the bird to them instead having them come get it from you.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:10 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
Maybe, if she would let you pick her up.

You might need to keep a close eye. Usually, if a wild dove lets you get really close, that means they're either hand tame, or something is wrong. The only potential illness sign I see is that it's eyes aren't open quite as wide as they're supposed to be. Could've been in mid-blink, but I might still keep an eye out if there are any other signs.

If you're convinced the bird is sick, then you should probably take it to a rehabber. Like Carolyn said, it's better to take it to them, rather than waiting for them to come to you.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:10 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

While I was taking my daughter to sport practice, she disappeared. Before I left, she was really persistent to walk down the street (where cars drive) and I had her chase her towards the grassy area. I had to force her leave my driveway before I drove off. It wasn't easy. I came close, she kept sitting there, I almost had to touch her to make her leave (I basically was gently pushing her). I think something is wrong with her, and maybe that's the reason parents don't take care of her (At least I don't see them around)
When I came back and didn't see her, it was getting dark. I checked as well as I could, but couldn't locate her. She either hid that well for the night (and note that she is a big bird), or something happened. Just a reminder, I posted about seeing her on Saturday and I didn't see her the whole Sunday.
From another hand, the way she walked up my stairs was cute. She looked curious and certainly was looking for seeds (I had some leftovers from tiels outdoor time). Would a sick bird do it???
When you say she may be hand tame, does it mean she can be domesticated dove???
Darn it, I imagined that lost Chipper found somebody kind and tries to stay with that person, and the person thinks this is the wild bird and pushes him away like i do!

Everything is so much confusing!!! What if she's lost domesticated dove who can't be on her own around, But I take her for a fledgling and think that this is a normal process of learning to fly???
The reason why I would prefer rehabilitation to come here is that I am not sure something is wrong. I am not even sure anymore if she is wild fledgling!!! (I think she is but who knows.. ) I would like a professional to take a look before she is removed from this area where her parents might be. She survived somehow til today since at least Saturday...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:13 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

JessiMuse, do you think she is juvenile bird?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:15 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

this is Craigslist posting of the only person I found for rehabilitation. She promised to come last summer when I had problem with Robbins but never showed up.
Quote:
I have been caring for birds my whole life, both exotic and wild birds. If you have a bird that you can no longer care for, for any reason whether it be health related or just a bird you can no longer handle, call me, I am willing to give your bird a forever loving, nurturing, home. I am not trying to get birds to resell, not my intention at all like a lot of these other bird rescue groups, I am wanting to make sure these beautiful creatures get amazing homes. When I feel the bird is ready to be re-homed, there will be extensive screening but there will be no fees involved. That is not my goal. And if the bird is happy with me, then that's where the bird will remain.. Thank you and God Bless You.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:17 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

I am ashamed I am so not helpful.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:20 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

do they need a flock? If she is a growing baby, she would need somebody to guide her thru everything. What is she supposed to do during winter?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
This person sounds like a rescuer not a rehabber. There are very strict rules for wildlife rehabbers - they aren't allowed to keep the birds they rescue, with the exception of a small number of "education birds". These are birds that can't be released back into the wild (usually due to a permanent disability) so instead they are used for public outreach, like presentations at public events. Rehabbers normally don't tame the birds that they rescue, they try to keep them wild so the birds can live successfully in the wild when they're released.

It's illegal for people to keep native birds even temporarily in the US unless they have a permit from the federal government (authorized wildlife rehabbers do have a permit). Lots of people don't know this and keep birds that they rescued. One possibility is that this dove was born wild but somebody kept it for a while and now they have released it (or it escaped). Another possibility is that this is a non-native dove that was somebody's legal pet and it escaped. It looks like a native species to me but I don't know doves very well so I could be wrong.

Page 10 of 12 [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next