It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 9 of 12 [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: nest for wild birds
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:44 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
The general recommendation on wild bird seed mixes is to not get the cheap kind with a lot of milo (sorghum) in it. However the doves and quail around here prefer the milo over the more expensive seeds, so the cheap type is actually the best for me. The best type for you will depend on what type of birds you're trying to attract.

The type of birds you're trying to attract will also influence the decision on whether to use a feeder or not, because some birds prefer to feed up high and others prefer to feed on the ground. I use a feeder with a sort of cage around it that's big enough to keep the doves out, because otherwise they would devour all the seed and some of the more interesting birds (like pyrrhuloxia) wouldn't have a reason to come in the yard. The smaller birds go inside the cage, eat some seed, and also throw a lot on the ground which the doves and quail eat. I also have some nyjer seed in a feeder that's designed to appeal mostly to goldfinches.

Another factor to consider is whether you have squirrels in the area who would make a nuisance of themselves. Squirrels are notorious for eating up birdseed and it's difficult to prevent them. I don't have any problems with tree squirrels because they don't live in this area - the trees aren't tall enough lol.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:12 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 19 times
Got happy chirps: 49 times
thank you Carolyn.
Suddenly there were a continuation of the dove story today. Something unusual happened. I had aviary screens set up on the front porch. I opened front door and saw a bird standing at the bottom of the stairs. The bird didn't get scared. Usually birds don't just stand on the ground: normally I see them eating or walking or searching for food. I got pretty close and talked to the bird -- it didn't move. I asked: "Are you here for your baby? I took it away from you, and he is buried just a foot away from where you stand." The bird didn't say anything (no wonder), but at the same moment I saw a mouse on top of the stairs who turned around and got downstairs (that made me kind of upset, I didn't know I have mice). Then I looked again at the bird who was still standing on the cement, and I thought his feathers looked identical to the little one's who just died. I thought it must of been his older sibling. Does this bird look like an older baby dove? It's almost the size of the parents but feathers and tail certainly look different. I thought that now I have a fledgling who will spend a few days standing by my front porch and I will have to protect him :) I walked out my back door to give him some seeds but as I approached him from the street, he flew away. It was a big relief to see that this dove can fly :)
Maybe there ARE some successful fledglings born on my tree!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:28 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
The dove does look somewhat young. I found it odd that it let you get close to it, because usually they don't let you get close, unless if something's wrong. If it flew afterwards, then it's probably ok.

Could very well be the successful sibling. Birds seem to have a strange way of knowing certain things. I read a story once, a true story, where someone noticed a baby dove fell out of it's nest. The parents were watching closely, and the nest was in range, so he picked the baby up and put it back in the nest. Usually, that disturbs the parents, and they can throw said babies out of the nest, sometimes, but this wasn't that case. The dove survived to adulhood, and a few days later, the person walked out the front door, to have a dove land right in front of him, which apparently, was the same dove he helped.

It's hard to tell what he could be visiting for, but as corny as it sounds, the sibling could have known that you tried helping the sibling.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:01 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

I think it really sucks to stay alone when you had a twin sibling, and you were meant to grow together.
I still don't understand how it works. There is a nest right above the spot where I found the baby who later died. It's above grassy area of the yard but really close to the cement driveway. Also, I have never seen anybody in the nest or close to the nest... If the parents had 2 babies in there, the second one should have ended up also on the ground when it was time to fledge. But I haven't seen anybody except that unlucky little guy that I posted earlier. Since that, I keep at eye on the nest. I guess somebody has another nest at a different spot. Still, the story is a mystery.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's hard to say whether that's a baby or not. The fledgling doves that I see around here look different than the adults, more scrawny and clumsy looking. Their feathers look different too because they have a light edge. This is a characteristic of juvenile birds in hummingbirds too, and it literally wears off during the course of a few weeks. This bird doesn't have the same sort of look, but if you google for mourning dove fledgling and look at the Images results, you'll see that there's a lot of individual variation.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:40 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

this bird is sitting by the house wall. She let me get very close when I was taking a picture. I saw the bird walking along the house wall. I would say that this is the same bird, what you think? I wonder if they need parent assistance for post fledge time... I have a feeling she is left alone.
What should I do?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

This looks like an adult bird to me. It's possible that she is sick, or that she has become tame by associating with people who fed her. You could put out some birdseed for her to eat, and a pan of water too if that seems appropriate.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:24 pm 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
Cuddle her to death! She is adorable! I once saved an injured pigeon. It had a hurt wing so I kept it in a hospital cage and fed it everyday until one shocking day it started flying in the house. I then let it free and it flew to a tree.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:26 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

The bird relocated herself under my large tree, I didn;t see if she flew or walked there. I looked close at her -- definitely a juvenile. Her size isn't an adult size. the picture probably doesn't reflect it. I see her walking under the tree (this is the main feeding location) looking for some fod and eating.
She still has zero reaction on me getting very close.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:29 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

CrazyConure wrote:
Cuddle her to death! She is adorable! I once saved an injured pigeon. It had a hurt wing so I kept it in a hospital cage and fed it everyday until one shocking day it started flying in the house. I then let it free and it flew to a tree.
I already cuddled her sibling to death. Literally. I don't want to mess with wild birds anymore. One baby just died when I kept him in the box.
I found a phone of a wild rehabilitation. I dealt with her a year ago on Robbin baby issue and she promised to come by but never showed up.

Last edited by Chipper on Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Page 9 of 12 [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next