Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Birdy conversation
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:34 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
Does anyone ever find themselves having conversations with their pets? I'm not sure why we do it. Maybe it's because no one else will listen,cor maybe the presence of another life form compels us to talk about stuff, even if said life form does not quite understand everything we say. Well, I often find myself doing it to the point where one may question my sanity. :lol: I guess it makes sense though. I've never been a real "people person", and I've been around animals literally since I was born, so I guess I feel like I connect with them.

But anyways, today, I've had some funny interactions with Lucy this morning. I stayed up all night, last night, trying to finish a college paper, so I was kind of tired to the point where I don't even question what I do anymore. A couple cups of tea and some food has helped that, but I thought the interactions were pretty funny.

So first was me filling up her tiny seed bowl. I opened the door and tried to get it out, and she immediately climbed onto my hand.

Me: *trying to put her back* wanna wait?
Lucy: *climbs up my arm*
Me: No? Right, because waiting is not in your vocabulary? Your limited vocabulary that consists of "food" and "chew"?
Lucy: chirp!

Now, she's been quite chatty, all morning, screaming and chirping for whatever reason. I gave her food, freshwater, and everything, and the only time she'd shut up, was when she preened herself, and even then, I would hear a muffled chirp or two.

Me: *making tea*
Lucy: *on my shoulder, screaming*
Me: I know, because you keep screaming in my ear about it!

So the , I get to the table, with my cereal and tea, and a very loud Lucy-butt in tow. I put everything including Lucy, and she's STILL screaming...

Lucy: *screaming next to her pellet bowl*
Me: Have some pellets. It'll help my headache.
Lucy: *takes a pellet and walks over to me*
Me: No, YOU need to eat it in order to help my headache.

Of course, aside from eating a pellet every few minutes, sit still didn't help the screaming. So I try a different tactic.

Me: *gets her to step up, and holds her to my face* Shhhh...
Lucy: ...
Me: *whispers* Good gir-
Lucy: *screams*
Me: ...

So that makes up the majority of my morning. I still have no idea what she was screaming about, but I'm wondering if it had something to do with my mom, because she did it up until my mom left for church.
The household hasn't really felt the same in the past few days, to be honest. We've had a family member pass away recently, and my mom's taking it the hardest, out of all of us. My parents are leaving for Virginia this upcoming Wednesday, for the funeral, but I'm staying behind, because I have college classes. I'll be here to take care of the animals in the afternoon, but my dog and I'll be spending the night at my sister's house because I'm not a morning person and I can't drive yet. I wonder if Lucy can tell that things are about to change for a few days?

But I should probably shut up about my problems. :lol: Anyways, if you've had any, what kind of crazy conversations have you had with your birds? Do they reply, or do they just look at you like you're a lunatic?

Post subject: Re: Birdy conversation
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:37 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
I'm sorry that you lost a family member, and it's likely that Lucy DOES know something is wrong. Birds are very sensitive to their flockmates. The flockmate might see something before they do so it behooves them to pay attention to what's going on in the flock. When a flockmate is upset about something they feel disturbed too. The fact that she kept flock calling until your mother left suggests that she might have actually been looking for your mother. Or maybe she was picking up on your mood, and you became more relaxed after your mother left.

P.S. It was nice of Lucy to offer you a pellet, wasn't it?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:13 pm 
Banned
Banned

Name: Brandon
Gave happy chirps: 28 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
When I talk to Rocko he always chirps back and I always talk to all the birds when they are going to bed and say are you going nite nite.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:40 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
Yeah maybe. It's like this calandar I saw before, with the theme being "cockatiel lessons". If something is wrong, make some noise!

She isn't quite sure what to make of my parents yet, but she seems to tolerate my mom more than my dad. I thought maybe she just likes women more than men, but then when my boyfriend met her for the first time, she was almost instantly accepting of him. She lowered her head for him to pet her, even if it were for just a second. It's funny how animals just know certain things. :lol:

Of course, no matter who holds her, she still gives me that look like "get me away from this stranger".

And yes, it was nice for Lucy to offer me a pellet. Maybe she understood "help me with my headache", though not in the correct context. :lol:

And yeah brandon, that's basically what I do. Though sometimes with Lucy, it's in reverse. When she's in her chattery moods, where she "sings", I'll respond to her, saying things like: "Yeah?" "You sure?" "Oh really." "You don't say."
I think she enjoys it. She probably feels like she's having a conversation about something. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:28 pm 
Banned
Banned

Name: Brandon
Gave happy chirps: 28 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
JessiMuse wrote:
Yeah maybe. It's like this calandar I saw before, with the theme being "cockatiel lessons". If something is wrong, make some noise!

She isn't quite sure what to make of my parents yet, but she seems to tolerate my mom more than my dad. I thought maybe she just likes women more than men, but then when my boyfriend met her for the first time, she was almost instantly accepting of him. She lowered her head for him to pet her, even if it were for just a second. It's funny how animals just know certain things. :lol:

Of course, no matter who holds her, she still gives me that look like "get me away from this stranger".

And yes, it was nice for Lucy to offer me a pellet. Maybe she understood "help me with my headache", though not in the correct context. :lol:

And yeah brandon, that's basically what I do. Though sometimes with Lucy, it's in reverse. When she's in her chattery moods, where she "sings", I'll respond to her, saying things like: "Yeah?" "You sure?" "Oh really." "You don't say."
I think she enjoys it. She probably feels like she's having a conversation about something. :lol:

You can actually have a conversation with Tiko

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:48 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
I talk to my birds as I would people. Actually I do that to all of my animals. Not just the birds.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The way I talk to my birds is much goofier than the way I talk to people lol.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:14 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
I don't really baby talk my animals, but rather see them as equals and thus, I speak to them in a normal way.

However, when I see a puppy, kitten, baby snake or baby bird, my vocabulary flies out the window.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:16 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I use baby talk when I want to mock them lol. But most of the time I just say silly things to them that would make people think I was nuts if I said it to a human.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:29 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
Zippi tiel who died last year, I use to hold conversations with him.. he always seemed to put the correct answer to what I said.... my other birds are good chatters but not like him...
Fingers crossed with Obi...

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next