It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 4 of 13 [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Well I'm a f***ing idiot...
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
If she got wet last night then probably all is lost due to hypothermia. But if she's still outdoors and found an old nest hole or other small space that she could crawl into, she might be OK. She would stay dry and the enclosed space would help retain body heat.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:10 pm 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
I'm so sorry for you. :cry:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:35 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
Well if she's out there, then I at least wish for her to be ok. If she's in the hands of someone else, I hope they would take good care of her. If somehow, she turns up, I would take her home and treat her to some fresh birdy bread.

My mom kept urging to get another bird. She even offered to buy the bird for me. So I gave in and went with her to someone who was selling a bunch of cockatiels. We ended up getting an unweaned cinnamon whitefaced Pearl Lutino (at least that's what I think, because she said it's a male, and should lose the pearls after a molt). It's close to weaning, and is only fed twice a day.

According to the breeder, the cockatiels ended up laying this year during a time they're not supposed to lay. She heard a pip from the nest box, and looked in. There were a lot of dead babies, except for one that the parents had plucked all the feathers. Most of the feathers had grown back, save for some bald spots on the wing and head. Seems to have already chosen me as it's person before I made a decision, because it was the only one that accepted scritches from me, and every time I stick my hand in the cage, he climbs up my arm.

A part of me still doesn't feel ready for this, but... Who knows, maybe this'll help me. I have a new bird to make new memories with, but I'm never going to forget Lucy. She's irreplaceable.

And if I get her back, then that means I'll have two cockatiels.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:22 pm 
Banned
Banned

Name: Brandon
Gave happy chirps: 28 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
Speaking of Lucy I saw a cockatiel in the pet store and it looked exactly like her same mutation and all I should have taken a picture but I was in a hurry because my mam was late for an appointment.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:48 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I guess I'm not ready for it either. Lucy was my baby, I knew her since she was an egg, and now it feels like she's being given up for dead which could very well be true. I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad, things like this happen sometimes in spite of our best intentions, but god it sucks so much.

Your new baby sounds adorable and I'm sure you'll be very happy with him. There's still hope that Lucy could be returned to you all safe and sound and then you'd have two which would be nice. She'd probably like having a cockatiel companion.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:52 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

I think she'd like that too. This one seems just as busy. My mom wanted to put a little cup of seeds in there to see if he would try to eat them; he ended up spilling it everywhere, and started to play with the cup.

So if that isn't an omen for things to come with this baby, I don't know what is.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's babies for you, all curiosity and no skills. Try giving him a piece of millet spray instead of a cup of seeds. That's one of the first foods my babies learn to eat. Millet spray "holds still" better than other seeds so it's a good food for beginners. Loose seeds are harder for a newbie to hold on to, and it takes a while for chicks to get the hang of it.

Soaked or sprouted grains are a good learner food too. And corn kernels. These foods are soft and easy for a baby to chew.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:05 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Oh definitely. The woman actually gave us a spray of millet. I couldn't tell if he was trying to munch on it, or chew the stem up on the way home.

I know for one thing though, her cockatiel babies are not like yours, Carolyn. Even their feathers don't feel the same. They feel a lot "dirtier" than Lucy's were. That goes for this baby, and the already weaned ones. Maybe they haven't really bathed yet, or something.

He's getting it though. He's trying to eat the loose seeds, and every once in a while, succeeds in picking one up, and eventually cracking the shell. He's definitely a fast learner. She doesn't teach them to step up, but he does it almost naturally, compared to the weaned babies she brought in for me to see. Not like how Lucy did, since I still have to press at his chest a little, but I think he'll get it down in no time. He's adjusted quite quickly, too, and already tries to get out of the cage we have him in.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:29 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 19 times
Got happy chirps: 49 times
Oh my gosh... there is no single day I am not thinking about Chipper (he flew away and never was found) , trying to imagine what his fate was like. Really, for the last a year and a half I keep thinking about him every day. It hurts to read that somebody else' bird got lost, especially knowing what relationship you built with Lucy recently.
Keep searching for her please.
Some tips I discovered when was looking for Chipper (it may be late for some): put a cage with food in a high place like top of the house or top of the car.
I spent too much time talking to immediate neighbors. Finally, I thought that the most efficient way would be to print cheapest pictures with your lost bird and your phone number at Walgreens (its cheap if you get 100+) and quickly run around and leave those in the doors of the people who live around (trying to cover as many as possible quickly)
Posting in a social media definitely helps. I don't know about Tuscon, but right now people unfortunately spend much less time around their houses than they did in late May here when Chipper got lost...
I haven't read a whole thing yet (trying to recover from failing a class first time in my life) but I would refrain from getting a new bird so soon.
I hope for the best of luck for Lucy.
It's interesting how my life flipped upside down since Chipper got lost. We were at vacation and my daughter wasn't liking it much so she told me lets drive back home. so we returned back home sooner than we planned. We arrived late at night, I didn't even have a good chance to communicate with the birds (and I missed him while we were gone for vacation). the next day we took the cage outside and he managed to open the door and he was gone. My daughter kept blaming herself for early return. Everything could be different if we didn't return early.
Interesting fact: soon after we just got Chipper and Trillie, I also was stupid enough to leave out with him sitting on my shoulder. He flew off because of the bright sun, but I was able to retrieve him as I saw where he landed. The second time he flew off he wasn't so lucky...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:59 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

This is a good idea:

Quote:
Finally, I thought that the most efficient way would be to print cheapest pictures with your lost bird and your phone number at Walgreens (its cheap if you get 100+) and quickly run around and leave those in the doors of the people who live around (trying to cover as many as possible quickly)

I don't know the Walgreens price, but at Walmart you can get 100 or more prints for 15 cents each, and that's with one-hour service.

Page 4 of 13 [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next