It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 11 of 13 [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Well I'm a f***ing idiot...
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:59 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Bell peppers are OK in small amounts, including the seeds. But my birds have never been interested in eating peppers, not even the seeds.

My birds also refuse to eat bird bread, although they're very interested in eating bread made for humans. I know of at least one avian vet who's very well informed about nutrition and isn't a fan of bird bread. A lot of the recipes are high in fat, and they use flour which hits the bloodstream faster than feeding the same grain to the bird intact instead of ground up. Slower digestion of carbs is better than faster digestion, so flour is less desirable than intact grain even if it's whole-grain flour. Pellets obviously use ground up ingredients too, but it's thought that they don't digest as fast as flour because of the balance of nutrients in them which is different than what you usually get in bird bread.

Personally I don't object to feeding moderate amounts of bird bread, using a recipe that has healthy ingredients and doesn't go crazy on the fats. But my birds object to eating it, so I don't bother with it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:00 pm 
Chick
Chick

Name: Paula
Gave happy chirps: 18 times
Got happy chirps: 8 times
I make bird bread occasionally, only because the recipe fills a 10"x10" square baking pan. So I freeze it in chunks and nuke them to warm it when I feed it to them. It is mostly corn meal with peanut butter, apple sauce, baby food yams, and some veggies mixed in. They seem to love it and I offer it once or twice a week. So I guess I am an advocate for birdy bread. :bigsmile100:

Milo- Cockatiel, hatch date 4-17-15
Bluebelle- Budgie, hatch date 4-10-12
RIP JoJo, 'tiel.
RIP Sweet Pea, budgie.
  Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:07 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
I may have to try it, just to see if Lucy may like it. I'd love to make something warm for her, since she's probably chilly due to so much weight loss. Any suggestions on warm foods? I'm thinking some kind of cooked rice, or something of the like.

Also, remember how I put bird seed and eggfood out there to try and get Lucy to come back? Well, the wild birds JUST NOW started to eat what I had out. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:33 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The wild birds here are weird lol. All the articles on feeding wild birds tell you to not buy really cheap wild bird seed because it's loaded with milo (sorghum) which is a cheap crappy filler seed that wild birds don't like. But the doves and quail out here LIKE cheap crappy seed and think the milo is the best seed in the mix. The milo disappears and the sunflower seed is still lying on the ground. Some of the smaller birds like the other seeds in the mix so it disappears eventually, but sunflower is not the top choice of Sonoran Desert birds.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:53 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you want to feed her something warm, you could offer some warm oatmeal (or something similar) on a spoon. It should feel warm but not hot when you touch it to your lip. This is similar to the way I handfeed fledglings, except I have handfeeding formula on the spoon instead of oatmeal. A lot of my older birds still like to eat this way, and sometimes I have trouble with them pushing the chicks out of the way to get at the food.

A lamp or heating pad sending warmth into the cage is a good way to help keep her warm. When there's no food being eaten, the body uses up the fat stores first then starts in on the muscle as a source of energy. So now she needs calories (fat and/or carbs) and protein to rebuild. If she likes eating oatmeal off a spoon, you could try mixing a little peanut butter into the next serving to up the fat and protein content. I've never given my birds plain peanut butter so it isn't something that she's used to, but you could try offering it to her to see if she'll go for it.

Here's the general delivery method for the handfeeding formula. There's some human baby food vegetables mixed into it and that's why it looks orange. Please excuse the lack of crests, Shodu likes to play barber with her children.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:56 pm 
Previous owner
Previous owner

Name: Melissa
Gave happy chirps: 142 times
Got happy chirps: 69 times
Small amounts. Hmmm zorro loves peppers. He gets 2 mini ones every other day .

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:52 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Odd that she just does that with the crests. Well, better than every single feather on the body. :lol:

I've been covering up the cage at night to make sure she's warm enough. I'll definitely have to try oatmeal, or eggs. Might buy a bunch of sunflower seeds too, for the sake of her gaining weight. In the meantime, just trying to make sure she gets enough food.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:36 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

An all you can eat sunflower feast is totally appropriate for a few days. Sunflower is high in fat and it has a better amino acid (protein) profile than a lot of seeds. Lots of vitamin E too, which isn't particularly relevant but is nice. Under normal circumstances we need to limit sunflower because of the fat, but right now she can use the calories.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:09 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 19 times
Got happy chirps: 49 times
JessiMuse wrote:
Now there's just her voice...

I keep reading that it's a possible sign of an infection. I definitely hope that's not the case. Since she's weak, I wouldn't know to put her on a probiotic or antibiotic to fight an infection. Heck, I don't even want to put her on ANY medicine unless a vet tells me, because I wouldn't know what I'm doing!
have you taken her to a doctor yet?
my birds love cooked brown rice (with egg yolk and broccoli or they would eat it without anything)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:36 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Not yet. I might wait a little longer to see if it's cleared up. She's not usually vocal aside from her chattery moments, so I'll have to wait until I hear her chirp.

Trying to find an affordable avian vet that's actually good is kinda hard, and I just used a considerable amount of my savings to order some textbooks for my upcoming college semester.

I got Lucy to eat a carrot today. She seemed to really enjoy it, after I finally got her to eat it. Now her beak is all orange. :lol: I'll post pictures once photobucket decides to start working properly on my computer. Might have to transfer them to my iPad, and upload them to photobucket that way.

I think she's starting to gain some of her weight back, too. She's feeling a little heavier today. I'll have to get her back to eating pellets at some point. I'll give her some nutriberries to get that started.

Page 11 of 13 [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next