Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: He Bit Me
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:53 pm 
Banned
Banned

Name: Brandon
Gave happy chirps: 28 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
Im very disappointed.Never thought he would ever do such a thing and it was very painful but I didn't react I just said Mango.He left a cut on my finger and got hold of my bone.He is now living in the big cage for a while at least until he is tame I think he is way too free to live cage less and thinks he can do whatever he likes.He looks very guilty now and has his head down in shame.He looks so sad, his cage door locked.I suppose its a good thing he knows what he did was wrong.

Post subject: Re: He Bit Me
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:14 pm 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
Did you do something he didn't like?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:48 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Birds don't have a sense of right or wrong like humans do so he probably doesn't know why he's being locked up. In a wild flock, every bird has the right to argue with any bird that does something they don't like (which could be as innocent as sitting in the spot where a more aggressive bird wants to sit). They say that there's not a lot of biting in a wild flock because one bird usually yields to the other before the situation gets that far out of hand. But we humans aren't as good at reading the danger signs as another bird would be, so we're more likely to push things to the point that we get bitten. It's our job to figure out how we triggered a bite so we can try to avoid triggering it in the future.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:51 pm 
Previous owner
Previous owner

Name: Melissa
Gave happy chirps: 142 times
Got happy chirps: 69 times
Constantly changing ur birds environment is not good 4 them.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:56 pm 
Previous owner
Previous owner

Name: Melissa
Gave happy chirps: 142 times
Got happy chirps: 69 times
If he bites put him in cage 5 min or 10 mins then take him out.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
The training philosophy that I agree with is that it's always our fault when we get bitten, never the bird's. We can't expect a bird to understand our rules, thought processes and expectations, but we can do a pretty good job of watching their body language and understanding their natural reactions. When we get bitten it's because we failed to anticipate the problem, and created a situation where the bird both wanted to bite us and was able to carry it out.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:14 pm 
Banned
Banned

CrazyConure wrote:
Did you do something he didn't like?

He was on my bed and I put my finger up to him even though he was squawking and he bit me obviously its my fault but I wanted to see would he actually bite.It wasn't able to react to it as you would have to react if you were being burned unless you have no nerves in your fingers lol.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:15 pm 
Banned
Banned

Mel wrote:
Constantly changing ur birds environment is not good 4 them.

Constantly? I never changed his environment lol he's in the same room just in the cage he goes in there everyday anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:17 pm 
Banned
Banned

tielfan wrote:
Birds don't have a sense of right or wrong like humans do so he probably doesn't know why he's being locked up. In a wild flock, every bird has the right to argue with any bird that does something they don't like (which could be as innocent as sitting in the spot where a more aggressive bird wants to sit). They say that there's not a lot of biting in a wild flock because one bird usually yields to the other before the situation gets that far out of hand. But we humans aren't as good at reading the danger signs as another bird would be, so we're more likely to push things to the point that we get bitten. It's our job to figure out how we triggered a bite so we can try to avoid triggering it in the future.

Actually he understands why he is being locked up he looked sad and looked very sorry and he had his head bowed down the way he does when he meets someone new his shy look all plum heads do this because they are shy birds.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:59 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
tielfan wrote:
The training philosophy that I agree with is that it's always our fault when we get bitten, never the bird's. We can't expect a bird to understand our rules, thought processes and expectations, but we can do a pretty good job of watching their body language and understanding their natural reactions. When we get bitten it's because we failed to anticipate the problem, and created a situation where the bird both wanted to bite us and was able to carry it out.

Same with horses. The difference being a horse could kill you pretty quickly. Every bad interaction has always been my fault; the horse just responded naturally. Assigning blame is something animals don't understand.They act out of instinct, not logic. You can put him away for a few minutes to calm down a bit, but he should still be able to come out.

Profile E-mail  

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next