All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 1 of 4 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Sammy is gone
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:52 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 19 times
Got happy chirps: 49 times
Literally. He is not found anywhere. I suspect screen sliding door. There was a slash in it, I wasn't finding an easy way to fix it, usually I would put something against it to keep birds from making it larger and escape, but yesterday eve I forgot. We searched in the house, couldn't find him.
He was very hormonal despite of everything I do against it. He had a mate - Babyface from the second clutch, this two were restless at going to places together...
He got missing the last night. It was very windy outside. Today morning the weather was great and I had the flock in the outdoor aviary making sounds for him. Today is a very hot day and supposed to thunderstorm at night (and cool down). I have a cage on the back porch (the direction he possibly left the house). and a cage on the roof of the house. Plus a food bowl on top of my car.
NO luck so far. I know it's all my fault so no need to point this out.
Any advice on how to print good posters? last time I did them, they didn't last long in the elements.

Post subject: Re: Sammy is gone
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:13 pm 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
I'm so sorry you lost him. Don't give up! Search everywhere, put ads, let people know. Search found pets ads. There is hope. And worst comes to worst, it will make you feel better knowing that you put everything you got into finding him.

There are a lot of free ad creators online. You can get some cheap laminator if you want. There are some DIY laminating ideas you can get from online.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:47 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

thank you, CrazyConure.
One more problem is that he is not tame. He could flew occasionally on my head or shoulder because other birds were on me, but he didn't step up.

does anyone knows - what is behavior of a bird who found himself in the wild all of a sudden? I remember reading they would be as high as they can? he is not clipped.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:47 pm 
Finch
Finch

Name: Janey
Gave happy chirps: 28 times
Got happy chirps: 7 times
put ad on parrot alert http://www.ParrotAlert.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:00 pm 
Conure
Conure

He will try to fly back down in hopes of having someone give him food. He can be up high if he's not clipped but there's still hope!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:01 pm 
Conure
Conure

Also, the good news in this is that untame birds can handle more colder weathers than tame birds (I read this somewhere).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:29 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
You could buy plastic page covers at an office supply place to protect posters from the rain. Hang up the poster with the opening pointing downward so that rain won't seep in from the top. Here's what Office Depot offers, you might find other things elsewhere: http://www.officedepot.com/a/browse/she ... /N=5+2310/

It's common for escaped pet birds to go high up in a tall tree and then be too nervous to come down. They'll come down eventually when they get hungry enough, which might take two or three days. A fully flighted cockatiel has the ability to fly for miles, so he might not be in your area any more.

Post on craigslist too, and check to see if there are any "found bird" ads. It's a major resource for lost and found pets.

Untame birds who've been living in an outdoor aviary would be adapted to the local weather conditions. Birds living indoors would be less prepared for outdoor conditions whether they're tame or not.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:47 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

thank you all.
The weather is a concern. We expect a bad rain this night and then tomorrow the temperature drops. Expected 48F low this night, and 35F tomorrow night...
not too optimistic...
I am ordering 4*6 photos at Walgreens with the picture, word Missing and phone numbers. Planning to leave at people's doors.

Ironically, can't find a good picture of him. Using a picture of my another bird who looks very similar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:54 pm 
Conure
Conure

We recently had a thread on how we can't get good pictures of birds for lost bird ads. This reminded me of this.

I don't know about you, but I find it normal to have to moments of being hopeless, then moments of being very optimistic when I lost my birds. Try not to let the hopelessness take over your ability to find him.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:11 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

well, if you remember, I wasn't able to find Chipper and we loved him VERY much and searched for him really long
When I read that someone's bird was lost and them found, I always think How on Earth those birds are so lucky and mine isn't? Don't get me wrong, I am happy that those birds didn't have to suffer to death...
Today I was walking trying to find him, and thinking that the world is so big for those little birdies... tons of tall trees... lots of other birds...

also, should I be looking in the direction where the wind was blowing last night? does it make sense?

Page 1 of 4 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next