Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Going out of town without my bird dilemma
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:34 am 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
I'm going to leave this out here first: I do not want to go.

My parents are making everyone go with them to another country to celebrate my cousins party. We were thinking of taking Rio with us but they said it's going to be a problem to bring him back. So that's not going to work.

I have to choose between trusting a family member to watch him, or give him to a petstore for the time being. Here are the reasons why I don't want either.

Family members: It's going to be my grandparents. They have had birds before. It's just that they are around 60 years old. I'm worried that the bird is going to scream to the point where they are going to get fed up and let him free outside. If that doesn't happen, theres something else. The bird will attack anyone he doesn't know. What if Rio won't let him change his food and water bowls? They require their hands to go in his cage. I'm worried they'll give up, and he'll starve to death.

Heres the problem with the petstore: What if they mix him up with another bird and accidentally sell Rio? Also, I don't want Rio to ever think I'm giving him away. Even for a second. He's going to think that i'm giving him away. We are going to be away for 9 days! How can I possibly let him stay at a petstore for 9 days. He'll be so depressed.

What is the best thing to do? I live with my parents, and i'm under 18. They won't let me stay home (which I want for other reasons). What would you guys do?

Post subject: Re: Going out of town without my bird dilemma
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:44 am 
Budgie
Budgie

Name: Bob
Gave happy chirps: 140 times
Got happy chirps: 52 times
If there's nothing else you can do. And if it is possible at all I'd move Rio a couple of weeks before you leave to your grandparents house and tend to him myself there.

If they get fed up with him chances are they tell you to look for another sollution before you go.
If they don't you get to spend time with them and your bird, so you can evaluate how the interaction works.

So get out to your grandparents with Rio a couple of times for a meet and greet and see if they would like the idea of you coming over more...

That's my 2 cents.

I would keep the store as a last option... Maybe ask your parents if they trust anybody to come inside your house to feed him. Sure it'll be lonely for him but I'd still prefer that over the petstore...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:27 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Barbara
Gave happy chirps: 494 times
Got happy chirps: 115 times
My two cents also. I had to leave my birds a few times and I was lucky enough to have a bird friend who took them in, and I wish you had this option. But on one thing you rest assured :when you come back he'll be crazy of joy. I personally between your two options prefer the pet shop. For the simple reason that your family members (in general) have an idea of birds completely different from yours, or mine.

About the shop selling rio by mistake, he will be probably away from the show room, especially if you ask espressely that he be kept in the back of the store. Sign his cage with big signs and Mark his tail. If they sell him they'll be in big trouble and it's not in their interest, especially because I bet you are a good customer for them.

He'll be sad for a day, then he'll become interested in his surroundings, and before a blink you'll be with him again!!!

I understand your anguish, leaving your babies is horrible, I genuinely feel for you, my friend.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:00 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
As Barbara said, it's unlikely that the pet shop would mix him in with the birds for sale. You can go to the shop and ask them to show you the area where they'd keep him, and see if it meets your standards. If it's in a private area where he won't be harassed by customers and won't feel threatened by other animals in the shop (like dogs and cats) it might be OK.

There may be other options. Some veterinarians have boarding facilities so you could look into that. You can google for other alternatives, and check your local Craigslist to see if any pet sitters are advertising there. But personally I would rather go with an actual business location rather than a random person advertising themselves as a petsitter.

I've got the idea in my head that you're in West Palm Beach. If that's right, there's a pet-boarding place that takes birds here: http://www.yelp.com/biz/furs-and-feathe ... palm-beach

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:49 am 
Conure
Conure

West palm beach is an hour and 23 minutes away.

I think I'm going to let Rio stay in the pet store. I'm going to ask if Simbads bird shop (a really good bird shop) can watch him for me. I once had to leave out of town, and I left baby rio with the store that I got him from. When I came back to get him, he was missing. Turns out, the store is connected to a store in the flea market. They put him there without my consent and I was worried sick. I ended up finding him at the end.

Barbara, I'm definitely am going to color his tail. I just don't want to intoxicate him. What can I use that's safe to go on him? I can also color some of his green back feathers since they will be falling off in his molt.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:29 am 
Previous owner
Previous owner

Name: Melissa
Gave happy chirps: 142 times
Got happy chirps: 69 times
CrazyConure wrote:
West palm beach is an hour and 23 minutes away.

I think I'm going to let Rio stay in the pet store. I'm going to ask if Simbads bird shop (a really good bird shop) can watch him for me. I once had to leave out of town, and I left baby rio with the store that I got him from. When I came back to get him, he was missing. Turns out, the store is connected to a store in the flea market. They put him there without my consent and I was worried sick. I ended up finding him at the end.

Barbara, I'm definitely am going to color his tail. I just don't want to intoxicate him. What can I use that's safe to go on him? I can also color some of his green back feathers since they will be falling off in his molt.

Use food coloring

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:03 pm 
Conure
Conure

Ok. I was just worried if the food coloring with come off if they bathed him.

I haven't found a place yet. Simbads needs blood work of some sort because I didn't buy him from there. Should I do the blood work?

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 2:33 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Food coloring would wash off, and so would most markers. One way to permanently mark a feather is to cut off the tip with a pair of scissors, and you could choose a feather or two from under the tail so it won't show unless he's got his tail fanned out. Doing more than one helps insure that he'll still have a marked feather if one of them gets molted or knocked out while you're gone.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:42 pm 
Conure
Conure

That's brilliant! I might take Rio to the vet to get the health certificate. I'm also going to get him a DNA test. It's pretty embarrassing that I don't know my baby's sex. It's been a year! I always feel dumb when someone asks "is it a boy, or a girl?"

Do you think they'll have enough blood to do the testing, and the DNA test? Can vets even DNA sex a bird, or do you have to send it to a lab yourself?

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 12:01 am 
Previous owner
Previous owner

Name: Melissa
Gave happy chirps: 142 times
Got happy chirps: 69 times
Hope it works out

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next