PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:49 pm 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
I just watched it video on blood work for parrots

phpBB [video]

I only watched it until they were talking about getting blood from the vein in the birds NECK! It was so sad to watch. I can't let my bird go through that if he's perfectly healthy just because I want him to board somewhere. I might as well just let my grandparents care for him.

Has anyone had to let vets take blood for their birds?

Is this all worth it?

Post subject: Re: I'm afraid
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 4:44 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
You could ask the vet in advance how they draw blood for a sample. I don't think that it's typical to use anesthesia for this, and it seems like they usually just restrain the bird. You only need a small drop for a DNA test, and they could easily get enough for that along with the rest of the sample.

Clipping the toenail is the usual way to get a sample if you're getting a DNA test and nothing else. This site indicates that the leg is the most popular location for collecting samples for bloodwork: https://www.beautyofbirds.com/aviancbcb ... ction.html

You can ask the vet whether they inspect the DNA themselves or if they send it off to a lab. Vets usually charge a lot for a DNA test, and it would be a lot cheaper to send the sample to a lab yourself.

It's a tough decision so you'll need to try to figure out where Rio will be safest and happiest. Do you know anyone at school (or anywhere else) that you would trust to babysit him?

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 4:48 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Here's a chapter from a medical book saying it's common to use the neck for small birds, and the wing or leg for medium to large birds: http://avianmedicine.net/content/uploads/2013/03/9.pdf It seems like sun conures are usually considered to be a medium sized bird.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:03 pm 
Conure
Conure

I was emailing the doctor. She guessed that I wanted to board him to Simbads. I asked how she knew. This was her latest email to me:

I asked her how much it will be for the DNA test to be included.

I'm rethinking of giving Rio to Simbads. Is it really necessary? On the other hand, I want to do this because I'm curious if he's all healthy or not.

I don't have anyone that knows birds well that I can trust. Rio can be loud, and my grandparents cannot handle that noise. They wouldn't be able to feed him anyways.

I'll keep thinking until I get a solution. How do you feel about the vet so far?

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:51 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
Its a problem if you need to go away, and cant take Rio with you.... I don't know if that's common practise for birds here...
Seems a bit extreme.... do you have a bird club locally where a member would look after him for you?
This is the problems, we have, when we own birds/pets...
Sorry I cant be more helpful....

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 12:03 am 
Previous owner
Previous owner

Name: Melissa
Gave happy chirps: 142 times
Got happy chirps: 69 times
If it was me id do it. Zorro blood test was cut nail check. He didn't get dna through vet as breeder did it. He got blood work n culture n exam for 195.00.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:55 am 
Conure
Conure

She emailed me back. The DNA test will be $45 in addition to the $275. It will end up being $320. I can do the DNA test myself though. I can get the price of it from $45, to around $15.

I ordered the DNA sample.

Now, is $275 worth it? I'm pretty sure I know Rio is all healthy. He doesn't act sick. Simbads would still charge me to watch him though.

I think I'll ask the pet shop that I bought him from to watch him. It sounds more practical for me. What do you guys think?

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 11:13 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Barbara
Gave happy chirps: 494 times
Got happy chirps: 115 times
You were asking about the blood test, if anyone has seen one.
I had two birds have it done, one was Sam a few months ago because he looked a bit out of sorts, didn't assist but I was happy to do it at least I know with certainty that he's healthy. It was a hefty £460 but fortunately I got insurance. They did a lot of tests of course, that's why the ridiculously high bill.

The other bird was Yoghi, when I was desperate to find out if he could be cured. With him, I was present and it was a matter of a second, literally. The vet grabbed him in the way they do so the bird doesn't move, put the syringe in his neck and it was done. Yoghi was absolutely fine, just a bit pissed off because he hated to be manhandled, God bless him.

This is my experience.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 1:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's up to you to decide really. You know what the conditions are like at the shop where you got him, and I assume that you also know what the conditions are like at Simbad's. Is there a big difference between them that would make it wise to spend the extra money?

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 2:21 pm 
Conure
Conure

Ok. I'll go with Tucans pet shop.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]