It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: New birds coming in - mixed! Worried!
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:28 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Barbara
Gave happy chirps: 494 times
Got happy chirps: 115 times
I am waiting for the delivery of three rescue birds. One is a very old Tiel paired with a love bird, the other one is a love bird on his own.

Obviously I'm not worried about the tiel, but the love birds! If one has lived all his life with a cockatiel he should be fine, it's the other one I'm very worried about.

They will be in a different room, but sooner or later they will meet.

Has anyone had experience of these two birds living together? I researched and read some truly horror stories

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: New birds coming in - mixed! Worried!
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:00 am 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
Actually yes, my first bird, JB the budgie, was bonded to my masked lovie Teak. They were very close, but their personalities matched: bold. In fact, JB would boss Teak around. But he completely loved her and followed her everywhere. They never had any problems. I wasn't so daring as to actually cage them together, but they both had the same small cage and I would put them back to back so they could still be close together.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:35 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Stephanie, was there ever any aggressive moment? Thank you for reminding me of JB and Teak, I can only wish that they'll be like that.
I'm told that one of the lovvies is blue, stunning... But if he hurts my gorge grey guys... I don't even want to think about it :(

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:42 am 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
I can't really tell you though. These 2 were my very first birds, so I didn't even realize at the time what a unique feat that was to have 2 different species bond so closely. I had 2 sassy birds right off the get go, so they were a perfect fit for each other. It depends on how your flock handles it.

Looking back, there was never an aggressive moment between them. Not a single one. Teak was very respectful of JB and never got too close in her personal bubble.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:13 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Lovebirds can be very aggressive and intolerant of other species. If your new rescue lovie turns out to be like this, you might just need to give him a separate playtime instead of letting him mingle with the other birds.

Birds tend to be shy and withdrawn at first in a new home so it might take time for him to start showing aggression. So always keep an eye on the situation when he's with the other birds. It may be helpful to keep the others away from his cage so he doesn't feel that they're trespassing in his territory.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:50 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Very true, Tielfan, I remember when I had the two Green Boys (maroon belly conures), the first times they were all sugar, then they started terrorising the bird room. Still remember Angelina, my young lutino, belligerently standing up to them... By the way she is doing great in the aviary, has a husband but thank goodness is not a serial layer.

So yes, I need to be very wary of changes in time. One of the lovvies, Chicken, is coupled with Lulu the lutino lady, and very protective of her. She's 26, can still fly (for about 2ft before going down) but rests her weight on her keelbone. Perches well and is active, but I try to keep her on my knees with some treat as much as I can to make her comfy. I think she has very little time and needs to be as happy as possible. Chicken always hovers around to be sure that she's ok.

Mozart is the other lovvie, he is STUNNING (I will post pictures as soon as I am on the pc), with a delicate peach face and incredible variations of deep green and blue on the body and tail. I was told the name but I forgot. He's pretty friendly but obviously wary. Both of them will sit on my head or my arm but don't want the perch or finger from me.

The tiels are VERY wary of them, no problem if they see them in their cages, but if I take one out I can see them getting tense... I trust my guys' instincts so for now no playtime together in the same room.

I can't wait to show you how pretty they are, especially Mozart... Such outlandish colours!!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:04 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
Sounds a pretty bird

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]