Page 1 of 3 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Moving!
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:19 am 
Egg
Egg

Name: enigma731
Gave happy chirps: 0 time
Got happy chirps: 5 times
In a little less than a week, I'm going to be driving across the country with my birds for a 3,000 mile move. Please send us some good thoughts, since one of my girls has a history of getting sick from stress (although I'm taking every precaution I can to make this transition go well for her).

Also, if anyone has experiences staying in hotels with birds, I'd be curious to hear. We're hoping to spend 3 nights on the road and we've booked non-smoking pet-friendly places for all of them, but I can't help being a little paranoid about the fact that I can't control what products are used to clean the room prior to our arrival.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Moving!
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:25 am 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
Oh my. I seriously hope all goes well. I don't know how I'm going to do it. Good luck!

Last edited by Feathers on Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:35 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
The hotels are usually OK. Just check to make sure there aren't any strong odors in the room before you take the birds inside. The tricky part is taking bathroom breaks and eating lunch, since you can't always find a shady place to park and it's dangerous to leave birds alone in the car. If there's another human traveling with you, one can stay with the car while the other takes care of business. A sheet or towel on top of the cage will help keep it shady inside while you're rolling down the road.

I've been waiting for you to come around so I could ask this question: how did the dissertation defense go?
:woohoo1:

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 12:07 pm 
Egg
Egg

My defense went really well! It's weird being done at work, a part of my brain feels like I'm just going on vacation, not leaving permanently. Hopefully it'll catch up eventually. ;)

Fortunately my best friend is driving with me and then flying back, so somebody will be able to stay in the car with the birds at all times.

Now I just hope we can get Roo through this okay. Given her history of GI episodes brought on by stress, I seriously debated whether bringing her along was the right decision. But ultimately I decided that if we could ask her, she'd probably choose me and her flock. So that's what I'm going to try.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 12:19 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Congratulations on a great defense! You're not done with work though, just starting again somewhere else.

It might help if you can limit the number of hours that you drive every day so Roo has plenty of time to settle down in the evening. I'm not sure whether it would be less stressful to keep the cage covered while you're driving so she doesn't see the scenery whizzing by, or to keep it partly open so she can see you. It'll be helpful if she can travel in her regular cage so that much at least stays familiar, but quite often the regular cage is too big to fit in the car.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 12:42 pm 
Egg
Egg

Yeah, unfortunately their giant flight won't fit but they are pretty accustomed to their travel cage. The vet is putting her on Reglan for a week, so hopefully that helps. We're aiming to drive about 10 hours each day, which I hope splits the difference between "not too long" and not drawing the trip out more than it needs to be.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 3:43 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Barbara
Gave happy chirps: 494 times
Got happy chirps: 115 times
3K mile move, sounds great! For most people maybe it's not, but I am a nomad at heart so I love the image of you and your friend driving across states, deserts and what else with a flock. I will definitely be thinking of you all sending good thoughts and please take pictures!!!! Many of them!!!! :)

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:13 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
Good luck with the journey......
Our birds/pets are stronger and adapt
better than we think

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:41 pm 
Egg
Egg

I clipped Odette's wings for her safety during our trip and transition to a new place (she has a history of panicking and crashing when she's in an unfamiliar space). Fortunately I don't think she's holding too much of a grudge. :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:47 pm 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
You guys look so happy together!

Page 1 of 3 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next