All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Misting Behavior
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:16 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Gave happy chirps: 15 times
Got happy chirps: 74 times
It started pouring rain here, and the tiels stopped what they were doing and listened attentively. I got out the mister for them, and they really enjoyed it.

When they spread out their wings for me when I mist them, I kind of think they like to be misted under the wings too, so I make sure I get some misting under there. Do you think that's why they raise up their wings when being misted?

On the other hand, when they are into it, it seems there is nowhere they don't want to be misted.

Now, they are doing a thorough feather preening.

I like it when they are happy.

Post subject: Re: Misting Behavior
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
In the wild, many parrot species will spread their wings wide and hang upside down to get water on the underside of their body. So yes, they do like to get wet all over!

Some of the rainforest birds spend almost all their time in the trees, and get their drinking water from sources like rainwater that's been trapped in a cupped leaf. But cockatiels are ground-feeding birds in an arid habitat, and they get a lot of their drinking water by wading into a pond. This link has some pictures of wild cockatiels drinking: http://www.arkive.org/cockatiel/nymphic ... 36339.html

This might be the reason that some pet cockatiels prefer to bathe by wallowing in a bowl instead of a mist bath. In the wild they'd be wading into the water basically every day, but rain showers would be infrequent.

This link has several pictures of wild cockatiels drinking at a watering hole in Queensland: https://www.flickr.com/photos/marj_k/86 ... otostream/

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]