Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: molting and night frights
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:20 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
Judging by all the pin feathers on the cockatiels' necks, it appears to be molting season for them. Either that or their feathers have been knocked out by one of their night frights.

I'm not sure what happened, but one day I walked up to the cage and noticed dried blood on the bars. The birds seemed ok at the time so I didn't think much of that at first. Few days later there was even more blood on the cage bars, and Alex has managed to rip out all of of the flight feathers in one of his wings like he did in a night fright they had months ago.

I noticed just yesterday that there was also some dried blood on their feathers, and along the bottom of Lucy's cere. I gave them a bird bath, to which Lucy seemed REALLY excited to clean herself. Alex on the other hand, not so much (typical child :P).

I'm sure the blood is from damaged pin feathers. Not sure what's gotten them spooked, but hopefully we'll have some peaceful nights. Alex is gonna have to go a few days without being able to fly due to somehow tearing all of the feathers out of one wing. I don't know how in the world she manages that. Out of all the birds I've had in the past, she has to be the most accident prone.

Post subject: Re: molting and night frights
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:53 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
Obi isn't moulting.... but maybe its the difference
in weather where you are and me here in dull dreary Wales... we've had hardly any sun at all this summer... just drizzly rain and dullness.... Oh for some sun.... :raspberry:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:33 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Alex probably hit his wing hard against the cage bars while he was banging around during the night fright. That's usually how wing feathers get knocked out. Lucy probably hit her cere against the bars - that happens a lot too. It's not possible to prevent all night frights, because I suspect that sometimes they're triggered by bad dreams. But if it starts happening a lot, you can try to figure out what's triggering it and hopefully be able to do something about it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:37 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 19 times
Got happy chirps: 49 times
When they go thru a night fright, are you able to hear it and stop it?
I usually do, but I am always afraid I won't be near if I am gone and my husband watches them.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:37 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
It usually depends on what time I'm in bed by. I usually stay up late so usually I'm around to stop them. During these times, I wasn't feeling too well and went to bed earlier than normal.

The last time Alex managed to get all his flight feathers out of the one wing, I was around. Even when I turned on the light, they were flapping around uncontrollably, so I had to stand next to the cage and talk to them. Lucy even got her wing stuck in the bars.

Lucy was the first to stop flapping but the last to really calm down. Alex was running around on the bottom of the cage with his wings spread out before trying to flap again, and hitting her head on the perch above (she tends to do that in these situation). I stuck my hand in there slowly, which she first hissed at it. Multiple times. Then I started humming the tune I usually hum to her. I ended up having to hum the full version of that tune. Twice. Then she calmed down enough to step up for me and accept scritches. Lucy was calm enough to step up at least, and I laid down on the couch with them on my chest. After petting Alex for a couple of minutes, Lucy calmed down more and started playing with my hair, occasionally accepting scritches. We stayed like that for a few minutes before I put them back in the cage.

What gets me the most is that it's the same wing as before. What is he hitting his wing on for that to happen?

Also because I was forcing Alex to use her wings more before this incident (making him fly to the table by himself), she's gotten a little too used to flying. She will attempt to fly into the kitchen if I'm not in the room and end up on the floor a couple feet away from the table. She will also try to fly to me from the playstand and end up falling on her face right in front of me. It's honestly kinda :lol: She was never good landing in the first place, though she seems better at it the longer the distance she has to make.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:59 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Babies tend to keep on flapping for a while after the lights are turned on. I think it's because they have less experience than adults and are less confident that it's safe now. Hopefully Alex will calm down sooner in the future, but she's a slow learner so it might take a while.

As for hitting the same wing twice, it might just be coincidence, or it might have something to do with the direction that Alex tries to fly in. If she goes toward the same place every time, she might hit the same wing against the bars first every time.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]