Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Danny update
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:08 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
This morning, I moved Danny into the greenroom in between the budgies and Jaid.

He still needs to work on his step ups, but he will step up on a stick no problem, so as long as I get him where he needs to go, I have no issues. I've gotten him to crunch on pellets, but I'm still not sure how much he's eating. I got him eating fruit (fresh and dried) with no problems at all, but I'm still working on vegetables. I'm hoping that having him in between birds that eat their vegetables no problem will use that flock mentality to convince him vegetables are okay. And within minutes of having him next to Jaid, he figured out what to do with his toys. They're curious about each other. The budgies couldn't care less as expected.

I'm honestly beginning to think Danny might be a bit aggressive with other birds. Jaid has a man crush on him. Danny does not feel the same way. I'm watching them now and frankly I don't trust it. Danno doesn't know his own strength yet and Jaid is a nuisance. He just wants to play, but I've never been one on mixing species. All Danny wants is to be with me. Before I moved him in today, he's been in my room. He's super cuddly. He's really bonded to me. I can pick him up by his body, scratch under his wings (he looooooves that. His eyes close and everything), scratch his head and rub his feet. Do you think I moved him in too quickly? Because I'm scared he's going to hurt Jaid.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Danny update
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:52 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Gave happy chirps: 15 times
Got happy chirps: 74 times
Do you need to have him in the same room as Jaid?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:52 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Give him more time to get used to looking at Jaid, without letting them get close enough to touch. He may not be used to cockatiels and may not trust this pesky little yellow critter. It's my understanding that conures in general are more aggressive than tiels, and it's likely to get worse when he matures. So you might not ever be able to let them play together. But take it slow and try to prevent confrontations right now so they don't get off to a bad start, and hope for the best. At least they can entertain each other from a distance.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:22 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

Danny is slightly cage aggressive. I honestly think I moved him in too quickly. He's still baby clingy right now and all he wants is me. I think I'm going to move him back in with me for a bit and work on some more socialization. He's in the cage more in the greenroom, while he had more out of time in my room. He's finally starting to get his wings back and practice flying. He won't get as much opportunity in the greenroom versus my room. He's been trying to fly but he's been pretty screamy because he can't. Maybe I'll give him some more bonding time before I move him in. I'll move him back in my room tomorrow morning for a bit long I think.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:18 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Gave happy chirps: 15 times
Got happy chirps: 74 times
Sounds like a good decision.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:34 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
It's a good plan, especially if you give him some visiting time in the greenroom every day. It'll give him a chance to get used to the room and the other birds without having to be with them all the time. Hopefully this will make it a more fun and interesting experience for him. If it turns out that he really likes your room better, you might even want to make this a permanent arrangement.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:34 am 
Quaker
Quaker

I moved him back into my room. They hardly flock called to each other. Jaid did most of it but stopped like 30 seconds later. I moved Danny back into my room and he instantly became sweet and fluffy. To be honest, I think Danny is a people bird. He has an attachment to me and nothing special with anyone else. I may need to see what will work best with my flock. I had him next to Jaid and let them out to supervise their reactions to each other. Jaid definitely had a man crush, but Danny didn't want him near. Jaid just wanted to hop and play, but I didn't want him getting hurt. For now, this is okay. Without Dan as a distraction, Jaid actually flies, exercises and spends time with me.

Danny in my room (sorry pictures are of poor quality; I was using my non-dominate hand).

He's really a sweetheart with me. Surprisingly hands on for being such a shy bird. I'll work on more bird exposure later on. For now, I'm going to let him grow up a bit. He's the youngest between the 2 BCC and he was the last to wean. I still forget he's such a baby.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:19 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
He's a stunner

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]