Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Long overdue talk about the July Bird Show
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:49 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
I realize that it is now September and I've still yet to talk about the bird show I went to in July like I promised. This was the July "mini mart", which tends to be one of the smaller bird shows.

As it always is, the bird mart was a lot of fun to go to. I find that the birds being sold and the people going tend to vary with each one, even if it is held around the same time of year. But that's a given, with all the breeders who are a part of the Avicultural Society of Tucson.

Right when we paid the entrance fee and I actually got in there, the first thing I noticed was a green cheeked conure with clipped wings trying to fly. The conures were babies. Just weaned but still in the "learning how to stand properly" stage where they typically have their legs spread out when on flat surfaces (Alex went through that when being weaned too). I went over to pick the conure up. It has made me learn to appreciate that both my cockatiels know how to step up. I didn't want to grab him because the beak is twice the size of that of a cockatiel's and he was already startled. So I tried to scoop him up from underneath, which resulted in having the conure climb onto my shoe (all with the breeder behind the table looking very entertained). Eventually I got him to stand on the palm of my hand as I handed him back to the breeder.

And that was the first bit of direct contact I've ever had with a conure.

One person was selling a toucan there, which is the first time I've ever seen a toucan at these bird shows. One would think it'd be hard to keep a toucan in Arizona given they grow up in a tropical environment.
In my opinion toucans are a species that I think shouldn't be kept as pets at all, due to their dietary needs being much more complicated than parrots. Plus they're just overall high-maintenance birds and giving them a happy and healthy life is difficult. I have seen people do very well in taking care of them though. They appear to also have the intelligence and curiosity of a parrot, so of course anyone who gets one would have their hands full.
But I digress.

I got to see Carolyn there as she was selling her tiel chicks. There were some very beautiful chicks this year. Was almost thinking about getting that whitefaced cinnamon who was split pied. Either that or one of the Lutinos, since that's personally one of my favorite mutations in cockatiels. Another female so I wouldn't have to worry about breeding (though now with another dog here I think adding another bird would make things even more complicated).
My apologies Carolyn, if our short chat seemed awkward in any way. I'm not good with social interaction in public places. At all.
My mom didn't believe it at first when you said there might be some damage done from Alex being neglected by her bird parents, but after the following events with Alex managing to get all the primary flight feathers out of one wing (AGAIN), she said to me a few days later: "I think Lucy's breeder might be right about Alex". :lol:
At least Alex's feathers grew back. Now if they can just stay in her wing so she can learn to fly properly, that's be great. Again, I digress.

There were two breeders/pet store owners there who had some very well-socialized birds. Conures, Indian Ringnecks and galah cockatoos. I tried to pet one of the IRNs but he just wasn't having it. Breeders told me they were just grumpy from having to wake up early. Although I've heard that IRNs tend to be hands-off birds too so I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't really want to be pet from anyone other than the breeders (of course there are those exceptions commonly found on YouTube). The bird was however willing to step up, and once he did, he climbed to my shoulder and didn't want to leave. Goes to show that even a typically hands-off species can be very loving.

Their galahs on the other hand seemed to not be bothered at all about being woken up early or anything. They were having the time of their lives, playing with the toys on their play stands. Galahs are some of the most playful species of cockatoo out there though, so I'm not surprised they were easily entertained. I got one to step up for me and accept scritches, and the other jumped onto my shoulder and started playing with my hair. At one point he tried to get in my hair.
I noticed that every part of those galah's personalities mirrored Lucy and Alex's. It wasn't exactly like a direct galah version of Lucy and a galah version of Alex, more like a combination of their personalities residing in both birds. Alex loves to try and hide in my hair, and will fly to me if she sees me paying attention to Lucy (preferably landing on my head or shoulder). In addition, Lucy will put her head in the palm of my hand when I pet her, much like how these two were. And if I'd pet one, the other would always try to do something to draw my attention away from the bird being pet, and towards them. That's something Lucy and Alex (mainly Lucy) always try to do if I so much as talk to one of them,

Makes me grateful that Lucy and Alex are so small, because if those galahs were any more like them beyond what I saw, those galahs could potentially tear the house down. With busy minds, stubborn attitudes and beaks as big as theirs, they could do much more damage than Lucy and Alex could ever hope to accomplish. :lol:

I saw Linnies (also known as "barred" or "lineolated" parakeets) there, which were probably the first time I've ever seen linnies in person. Beautiful parakeets they are, and fairly quiet too I've heard. However they're VERY hard to find. Not a lot of people breed them it seems.

I think I remember seeing Senegals and Meyers parrots there but I can't remember completely. Those happen to be some of my favorite species. :)
No diamond doves or mannikin finches unfortunately, which meant no mates for Joey and the finch. Actually I don't think I saw any finches there at all. Did see doves but they were ringneck doves. I don't think Joey would much like sharing a cage with a dove more than twice his size. :lol: If anything it would scare him.

The parrotlets and lovebirds were kinda funny to watch. They had a tendency to bunch together in one corner of their cages. Not even on a perch. They just hung on the cage bars like that. :lol: the two species were in their respective cages of course. I would think putting lovies and p'lets together would spell disaster. They do both tend to be agressive species after all. The similarities in behavior were intriguing though. It makes me wonder if the species are related in any way.

Rosellas are always fascinating for me to see. I always expect them to be around the same size as a cockatiel, and always end up mildly surprised when I see them to be slightly larger.
A lot of budgie breeders there, but I'm not surprised. They're one of the most popular pet birds and also very easy to breed. It was interesting talking to the one person selling English budgies though, amongst all of the smaller American pet budgie breeders. They're apparently more calm than their smaller counterparts. It makes me wonder if they'd get along well with cockatiels at all.

There was one breeder who sold her birds with the cage they were in. Upon asking why, she said that she felt it was easier on the bird rather than grabbing them and stuffing them into a box or an even smaller cage. Plus she had way too many cages so she felt it was an easy way to get rid of them all.

There was one guy there selling handmade toys there for a cheap price, for all size of birds. That also included pieces that could be used in making toys. I got three toys for... $10 I think? Maybe less? It was cheap compared to toys at pet stores I know that. Two toys are made up of wooden blocks and one with puzzle pieces. Took time choosing which ones of course, because with every consideration came with the questions: "How can Alex hurt herself with this toy?", and "What are the chances of Alex hurting herself with this toy?"
Ever since the ring toy incident, that is something I usually take into account when getting toys for them. Of course it was an accident that is usually unlikely to occur. However it is also unlikely for a bird to lose their flight feathers in one wing wing during a night fright. Yet Alex has done that twice now if not three times (kinda lost count). She's very, VERY accident-prone.

Overall it was a lot of fun. These shows always have birds that I rarely ever get to see in person, let alone interact with. It appears the AST bird club is made up of some very well-experienced breeders and the birds at these shows look to be in good health. I've seen the situation to be the exact opposite in bird shows of other locations so I'm fairly impressed at how healthy most of these birds are at the bird show. They always appear to be healthier than the ones I see in pet stores, sometimes.

So that about sums up my time at the July bird mart. I look forward to going to the much bigger one in October. Maybe I'll talk a little about that one too when it comes around (and not wait two months to do it). :)

Post subject: Re: Long overdue talk about the July Bird Show
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:20 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
Wow, that was quite a story. Sounds like you have been busy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:25 pm 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
I can't believe I actually read all this!

Wonderful story. Almost like an adventure?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:59 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
Yeah, sorry I write so much. :lol:

It was a bit of an adventure. Then again it always is when going to these bird shows. But that could be my perspective on things. Take me to a party with a bunch of people and I'll probably want to leave after several minutes, but take me to a place where I can see and interact with a lot of animals and I'll have a field day. :bigsmile100:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
I'm glad you enjoyed it, and I didn't think our conversation was awkward! The October bird mart (six weeks from today) is the best place to get finches, there are usually a lot of them there although I couldn't tell you exactly which species. The October bird mart has more birds at it than the ones earlier in the year, because there are more weaned babies available at that time of year.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:05 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 19 times
Got happy chirps: 49 times
I was impressed you are familiar with so many different bird species. I had to google some species you mentioned.
I have maybe a sensitive question. For how much are cockatiel babies selling on markets like this one? Just curious. Carolyn, do you usually sell all the babies you want to sell?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:39 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
It takes a while but eventually I sell them all. I sell more through Craigslist than through the bird marts.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]