Post subject: Meet Skye :D
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:13 am 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Name: Dee
Gave happy chirps: 45 times
Got happy chirps: 20 times
Exciting news!

At the beginning of the year I was contacted by somebody about an Indian ringneck to see if I would want it. I said no. 8 months later I'm asked again. I say no. I get asked again a couple of weeks ago and out of curiosity I asked for some photos. I was a bit upset by I saw. She didn't have much and she didn't look great. I said yes. She didn't have a name at the time, she was of an unknown age and sex

Fast forward to today. I picked her up this morning! The journey wasn't too long on the way back and she sat lovely and quietly all the way home. I was told while I was there that the bird is under 12 months but they can't be sure. Her ring has a few different numbers on it but also has a sideways 13 so I'm thinking that she may be 3 years old now. Meaning she would HAVE to be a she. I will be doing a DNA test just to check though. I noticed she had one clipped wing and as much as it pained me to do it I had to even it out on the other side. I had to clip the other. She flew around in a circle and crashed a lot. I HATED it but she was very good and she was well behaved throughout. I wrote down her ring number etc. too. I let her chill out for a bit and I got her to step up. She didn't half take a small chunk out of my arm :o She sat beautifully after that though and stepped up well. We hung out for a while so I could keep an eye on her for a bit too

I believe she's a turquoise, not a normal blue. She has the green in her wings. I think there's another name for it but I'm asking around at the moment. I was told when I went today that her name was Skye so I'll keep it for them

Without further ado! Here she is

Her food was all sunflower seeds and peanuts. After a few weeks of good healthy, fresh food and some daily mistings her feather condition will improve tremendously!

Post subject: Re: Meet Skye :D
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:51 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
Oh she is beautiful.....
Good on you for taking her...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:29 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
If you do Facebook, they might be able to tell you the mutation on this group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/220447474710913/

I don't know much about ringnecks so I don't even know how many mutations they have. But there's a cinnamon mutation that seems to mute the coloring, and I wonder if that might be involved with your bird in addition to at least one mutation that's somewhere in the blue family. IRNs apparently have a dark factor mutation and a greygreen mutation that may or may not be applicable to this sort of appearance. So there's a variety of mutations that could be potentially be involved.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:19 am 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
Congrats! She's a beauty!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:45 am 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Jan wrote:
Oh she is beautiful.....
Good on you for taking her...

Thank you :D I prefer rehoming birds where possible. She already has a better quality of life and she seems so much more chilled out today. As soon as her flights come in I will be happy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:06 am 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

tielfan wrote:
If you do Facebook, they might be able to tell you the mutation on this group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/220447474710913/

I don't know much about ringnecks so I don't even know how many mutations they have. But there's a cinnamon mutation that seems to mute the coloring, and I wonder if that might be involved with your bird in addition to at least one mutation that's somewhere in the blue family. IRNs apparently have a dark factor mutation and a greygreen mutation that may or may not be applicable to this sort of appearance. So there's a variety of mutations that could be potentially be involved.

I've sent a request to join the group, thank you!

I definitely don't think that the mutation is muted (like say a pastel). I think it's just poor diet which has accounted for the dull appearance but other than that I think she will get a bit brighter once she's eating better. She is a vivid blue with dark blue flights (or what I can see of them) and a tail that is the same colour as her body, if not a teeny tiny bit darker. Her wings have a green hue to them which is quite dark. I'm sure that's a turquoise but again I'm rubbish with their mutations. I LOVE any of the clear head and clear tail mutations. I hope I can pair her up with something nice eventually

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:07 am 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Feathers wrote:
Congrats! She's a beauty!

Thank you :D I think you can tell the difference already in that last photo from seeing the photo I showed you before I got her

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:01 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
I was wondering which one of those photos to believe for the color. The last one was radically different from the first ones, so I went with the majority.

Just simply giving the bird a bath can make a huge improvement in their appearance. A bird that feels better and is happier may spend more time preening, which also helps improve their looks.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:47 am 
Previous owner
Previous owner

Name: Melissa
Gave happy chirps: 142 times
Got happy chirps: 69 times
Beautiful ao ur not going to try n handle her?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:14 am 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

tielfan wrote:
I was wondering which one of those photos to believe for the color. The last one was radically different from the first ones, so I went with the majority.

Just simply giving the bird a bath can make a huge improvement in their appearance. A bird that feels better and is happier may spend more time preening, which also helps improve their looks.

Oh absolutely, she seems to be feeling much better in herself at the moment and looked amazing after her first misting. She was a bit unsure of it but it got her preening and if I have learnt anything about Asiatic parrots it's that the love getting wet. It took one my Alexandrines a long time to accept a misting but she loves it. Some birds seem to prefer to bathe on their own while others appreciate a misting. Kakarikis aren't keen on being sprayed but will pretty much swim in a bowl haha

The last photo is probably the most accurate because the room she is in has a clear roof, so I'd say it is natural lighting to an extent

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next