Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Help me find a good air purifier
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:11 am 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
Hey guys, Remember that Honey Well air purifier I got? It doesn't do the job well anymore. There is dust collected at the vents which is pretty ironic since only clean air comes out of it. I don't feel like it does a good job anymore. I see a lot of dust in my room.

Anyways, I found this one that caught my attention: https://www.amazon.com/GermGuardian-AC4 ... rifier+pet

How does that look? Do you know any better models that isn't higher than $100? I don't want to spend a lot if it's unnecessary.

Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Help me find a good air purifier
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Is your current air purifier true HEPA? If it is, you need to change both the filters periodically, and with birds in the house it's helpful to vacuum the prefilter occasionally to get the dust and dander off. Replacing the filters is a lot cheaper than replacing the whole air purifier. It's easy to order filters online, and your local Home Depot might have the right size on the shelves.

With the new purifier that you suggested, the true HEPA part sounds great. But I don't know about the UV-C and the titanium dioxide because I've never researched these things. UVC is damaging radiation, and I'd want to know EXACTLY what they're doing with it. Even if it's contained within the purifier, I think I'd feel more comfortable letting the germs live than blasting UVC at them. The listing on Amazon says "UV-C light sanitizes by permanently damaging the DNA of germs so they die." I'd be worried about it damaging the DNA of birds and people if it gets out into the room, or of damaging the DNA of germs so it mutates into something REALLY nasty instead of dying.

This scientific paper says titanium dioxide nanoparticles are possibly carcinogenic and should be used with caution until we know more about them: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3423755/ I don't know whether this air purifier emits these particles, but I'd want to find out before I used this feature in an air purifier. Plain simple true HEPA is all that you really need, but it's getting harder to find air purifiers that haven't been jazzed up with a bunch of additional features.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:04 pm 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
Thank you! I didn't know I have to change the permanent filter. I'll go order that instead. Also, yes, it is hepa.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:09 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
If you look at the instruction manual, it will probably tell you how often to change it. Most HEPA purifiers have some sort of signal to tell you when its time. One of mine has a digital display, and one has a light that comes on. It's based on the number of hours you used it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:46 am 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Name: Dee
Gave happy chirps: 45 times
Got happy chirps: 20 times
Definitely see if the filter just wants replacing before buying a new one! Save a ton of money :D

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]