All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Cockatiel clipping
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:43 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Gave happy chirps: 15 times
Got happy chirps: 74 times
Silver and Emma had full flight for about a week. They had a wonderful time. They were getting into everything, especially into dark places. Then, when I would go to retrieve them, they would behave like Jaid, opening their beaks wide and hissing at me. It's kind of cute, actually, but not on an ongoing basis. They especially like a small dark area under the dishwasher. I should find a way to block it up. Another thing I should do and don't get to.

I know some on the forum wish I leave them full flighted, but I just cannot. Also, there really is risk of them going out the front door. My house is small. I would be heartbroken if I lost either of them.

They have been through this about three times now. It's amazing how much better they are about it. I do think they remember the whole thing, and that they end up back at home in the end. Once we get back into the car to drive home they stop loudly squawking. When I got out of the car a home, the budgies started loudly chirping for their friends. I am a bit surprised that tiels are pretty good about going into the travel cage the night before. I was worried they would start associating it with being taken away somewhere, but it's been okay so far. I should bring the travel cage out once in a while just for them to play in. But, there are lots of things I should do that I don't seem to get to.

I have never clipped the budgies. They are just much easier to manage. They stay up high, mostly on top of the cage or on top of the TV.

The first time I had Emma clipped, she sulked and wouldn't come out of the cage for a week. They are both so good about it now.

By the way, Emma is so much better at coming to my hand when I need her to. She prefers the back of my hand or my wrist. I don't think she's ever sat on my finger. I am grateful that she's better about it.

Post subject: Re: Cockatiel clipping
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Getting into dark places is "looking for a nest" behavior. If you don't want the risk of fertile eggs being laid, you need to do what you can to stop them from having access to a place that looks like a good nest.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:14 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Yes. One of the goals of the clipping was to keep them out of such spaces. However, Emma layed an egg this afternoon.

Everyone has been getting frisky. Piper very lovingly mated with Winter yesterday. I was feeling good that he was being species appropriate. But, about an hour ago he was mating with Emma. Silver seemed a little upset by it, although he doesn't seem to know how to mate.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:14 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 19 times
Got happy chirps: 49 times
Well, I think soon Silver could learn from watching Piper how to mate :) Don't you think?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:33 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
I've 2 of my 5 birds clipped..... due to
the fact they go up high, into everything....
and at my age its for my safety, and there's.....
I've not found it hinders my two at all....
Yes, we'd all like to leave them fully flighted...
But sometimes it's not the way....
Do what is best for you, and your birds...
Don't let anyone tell you what's best... it's
your choice.....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:59 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Emma is now devotedly sitting on three eggs.

I have tried before puting them in a dish to keep them together for her, but she's never accepted it. She takes the eggs back out. But, today I succeeded! She is liking a small china dessert plate.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]