Post subject: Re: I'm so damned
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:03 pm 
Finch
Finch

Name: Janey
Gave happy chirps: 28 times
Got happy chirps: 7 times
Chipper wrote:
honestly, I don't know how parrot alert can be useful. Who reads it? how do they spread info?

I know that it's on another bird message board I belong too, and is update every 10 minutes on that board. it's one of the first thing I go to if I find a bird in my area.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:27 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 19 times
Got happy chirps: 49 times
There is a lot of contradictory info about escaped parrots.
Some say they go high, some say they keep low . When Chipper took off my shoulder very long ago, I saw where he flew, and he landed, and sat there until I got to him so I was able to pick him up (what a happy ending!). I am recalling that his wings were probably clipped back then so it could have been a factor.
Some say they stay within a mile. My poor Sammy's body was located very far from the home, he probably flew non-stop.
Cuddles has always been easily scared and very alert. I can see that panic could set her flying and flying.
When Chipper got missing the second time (that didn't end as fortunately as the first time described above), I searched very long and detailed in the area. I personally have been in every backyard in my immediate neighborhood. No luck.

Two useful things to mention: I found useful advise to put signs on your car.
I would also add that having a good binocular would be a good parrot owner asset.

Today I visited some backyards in the block where she flew into. Many houses have dogs that are outside a whole day,,, I remember them barking at me when I was searching for her the day she got missing. I even left a cage with food in one yard (so very frigging late!). All this should have been done the day she was gone!

Of course some idiots called my phone about claiming the reward. It was obvious that they didn't have any info.

When I was walking around in the rain the day she flew away, yelling her name, some "nice" people even reported me to police who showed up the next day to check if I was OK (people thought I might have been lost LOL)

If wind was blowing strong from N and W, does it make sense to search to the North and West of me?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:46 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

When Cuddles flew away, the weather was too bad to have Trillie out in the cage on a walk with me. He went twice the next day when it was still cold and windy but at least not raining (I was risking to make him sick). He stayed quiet a whole walk except for some occasional weak sounds.

Maybe it would have helped if I put up my aviary soon after she flew out and let my birds out in it. No guarantee they would make any sounds and even were eager to get out there (it would have been on voluntary basis).

Oh, somebody told me that when a new bird appears in the wild, native birds behave louder than normal. I don't know, they are being loud every day here. They are louder when something bad is going in (for example, the weather is bad, like it was that day)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:31 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
If you think she might have flown toward the northwest then it would be good to look in that direction. You can still put the birds out in the aviary - if she hasn't left the area she might hear them and come to them.

I haven't heard about wild birds being noisier, but it might be true in some cases. A bird who is defending a territory is likely to scream at an intruder, although they're usually more concerned about a bird of their own species than a different species. They won't even know what a cockatiel is of course.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:06 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

my birds have been out in the aviary every day since the weather improved. They don't make much noise and apparently she can't hear them.

I was wondering , when the wind is strong, there is no way that lost bird would fly against the wind, right?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:21 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Gave happy chirps: 15 times
Got happy chirps: 74 times
I am so very sorry Cuddles is missing. You are being very hard on yourself: could-a, should-a, would-a etc. I know you really, really care about your birds and other animals. You have provided great care for them, especially when they were babies. Things happen. It's sad. Life is sad sometimes.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:38 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Diane, thank you.
I can't understand why I didn't do what was obvious. ok, some people around don't like me, thinking I am a crazy bird woman of a nationality that has a lot of negative attention recently, but I don't even need them.
I have 3 houses on my side of the street where people would gladly allow me into their backyards, I could even stand on their roof probably while Cuddles would still be in the area and call for her. I could leave a cage in their yards, instead of doing it in mine.
I could tell my daughter to walk to a nearby book store after school and we would pick her up later (ok, she would complain it was raining)

I was just blind. and this is very hard to comprehend and forgive.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Sometimes it takes a while to think of all the things you could have done, especially while you're still dealing with the shock of what just happened. None of us are perfect and we can't expect to have a perfect reaction when something bad happens.

When the wind is blowing a hard, a bird that's just flying away in a panic would be more likely to fly in the same direction as the wind instead of trying to fly against it. They can move a lot faster that way, and speed is what they want when they're trying to escape from danger. But I've seen wild birds trying to fly against a strong wind (and going backward instead of forward) when they were highly motivated to go in a specific direction.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:19 am 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Name: Dee
Gave happy chirps: 45 times
Got happy chirps: 20 times
I am so sorry to hear that you have lost your bird. I know how gut wrenching it can be!

I was lucky to get my escaped Alexandrine back very fast as she had flown to somebody a few streets away in their garden. They kept her overnight and I managed to find out about it on a local group on Facebook

ParrotAlert is very useful. Each lost bird is posted on another forum (which is always busy) and on their Facebook page. If you have Facebook I recommend posting photos in any local groups you may have and all of the sale groups for animals in your area

When my American kestrel was stolen/let out (unfortunately he has not been returned to me) last year I tried every possible route. Knocked on doors, posted posters in the area, posted EVERYWHERE on every social media platform I have (2K people shared on Facebook!), called vets, called zoos, called other falconers, called the Independent Bird Register, posted on selling sites. I can't think of anything I didn't do. I searched on foot on and followed sightings (that were most likely never him) for days until I was completely burnt out. Try every possible aspect and at least you can't kick yourself for not trying!

Blaming yourself is so easily done but please try not to. You're doing whatever you can! I hope for a swift and safe return :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:46 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

thanks Deebee
Yes I have done a lot of activities but it doesn't help me to feel any better as I understand very well that her situation was different due to inclement weather involved - she had very little time to be rescued. I can go around the neighborhood/put up posters/talk to people for a long time but I am understanding all this is very late. Its more like attempts to find her body
I feel very bad for Trillie (her mate) and of course for Cuddles because of what she had to go thru. I can certainly cope myself

Page 2 of 4 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next