It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 6 of 11 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: My remaining flock
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:17 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 19 times
Got happy chirps: 49 times
tielfan wrote:
People can preach all they like, but in the end the decision comes down to what is best for you, your family and your birds. If you think the birds will be happiest with you then that's something to think seriously about. And if you think they might be happier somewhere else, that's also something to think seriously about.
yeah I agree.
I think when I brought Cuddles home, she benefited from that change. She got an owner who loved and cared for her (I m not saying that the previous owner didn't), a companion bird and a mate, she bred, she was definitely happy here.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:25 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Gave happy chirps: 15 times
Got happy chirps: 74 times
You gave Cuddles a great life! Good for you!
I try to give my birds great lives, best that I can.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:27 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Gave happy chirps: 15 times
Got happy chirps: 74 times
What I mean is, It is real animal lovers who focus on the bird having a good life, rather than just having it for selfish reasons. If you are a bird, you are best off being with the former.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:34 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

thank you Dianne. Cuddles was bought after we lost Chipper (I know it's a bad idea to get a "replacement") and it was a 100% hit, even though I didn't like her much at the beginning ! I didn't even expect myself. Chipper followed me everywhere, he was a perfect companion bird. Cuddles had it all. She had a special relationship with me (not trained) and she was a soulmate to Trillie. Its very sad that I couldn't keep her safe :(

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:38 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

today I was in the backyard and when I came back home I saw just one bird where its supposed to be. The rest of them sneaked into the bedroom that I usually keep closed. In a closet, there is their old nestbox.. I saw Bella sitting on the perch outside the nextbox, while other were looking at her with interest.
Oh my... I will have to move it where nobody can find it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:17 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

I wonder when I need to be real concerned. The 3 birds involved in a triangle don't eat much. I would say I don't see them eating at all.
Trillie is stupidly hoping for Stella, I don't quite get what Stella wants: sometimes looks like she is glad to hide from Trillie, escape with tater Tot where Trillie can't find them (at this time Trillie calls for her like crazy), sometimes it looks like she is considering if she should switch to Trillie. This makes tater Tot real stressed... But all three don't eat. Or eat very little.

Is there any indications when I need to do something about it? and what?

I sometimes hold millet for Trillie and he can eat a little bit.
Usually he gets in the cage at about 9 pm and I lock him in there hoping that without all the birds around he would have a good chance to eat well. Usually Babyface wants to follow him into the cage. She is eating very well but it doesnt help him to start eating too.

Somebody (I believe it was Trillie) dropped a poop what was very thin, you know when instead of being a round piece of poop it scattered into many pieces

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:50 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

ok. Now almost everybody except Stella and Trillie are locked in the cage. Tator tot is acting out and being horny and I thought he would mount her while Trillie had no access to them. But I think she is way forceless now

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:18 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
They are probably eating more than you realize. If they weren't eating they would be too weak for all this hanky panky.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:43 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

I keep seeing some watery poop. When its dropped, it scatters into separate strands and is in the wet watery (transparent) wet spot . Doesn't seems normal to me. Is this just indication of stress and supposed to heal on its own or do I need to do anything about it?

Last edited by Chipper on Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:39 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

I start thinking that Stella has some kind of health issue (not sure if its just stress or anything else).
She looks sad and her poop isn't good, she is the one who is not eating.
She did some grinding sound with her beak, I used to think this means a bird is content, but definitely this sound is something new for her (it just attracted my attention as something I usually don't hear from her. It was kind of loud sound)

The problem is that I don't have a good avian vet. I have a one who is a general vet but he sees all sorts of pets (including my rabbits and a few times my birds). I can't say he was useless though. He is like 2 minutes away. It is a full capabilities vet clinic.

Another one is recommended by our bird store and its 50 miles away. I saw her once with Cuddles, she is in the country, and honestly, I wasn't too impressed with her technical possibilities - she said that to do an Xray, I would need to go somewhere else. But maybe she is more knowledgeable about birds... Cuddles' illness was caused by a soft shelled egg that she couldn't pass (but it wasn't obvious), and doctor gave her a hormone shot so that later on Cuddles passed her egg (but the vet was just guessing).
I remember that driving there was difficult for my bird.

Page 6 of 11 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next