It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 5 of 11 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: My remaining flock
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Do you have food sitting out in more than one place? That will help prevent him from trying to monopolize all the food.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:42 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 19 times
Got happy chirps: 49 times
Food is everywhere, 5 or 6 other places
he is not trying to monopolize all the food, He is ignoring all the food even when he has a chance to eat on his own (I Locked him alone in the cage, for example)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:44 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

I joined some birds related groups on FB and someone posted this. What you guys think?
Quote:
I just don't have the time he/she deserves....

That's a top five reason for parrot relinquishment. "I don't have the time anymore". Years may have been spent with their companion, or just months, but either way, a flock has been formed. But now the human decides they no longer have the time the companion deserves to receive and believes the only option is abandonment to a rescue. It's a problem you see, and the best way to solve a problem is to make it go away. That's a human thing, out of sight out of mind.
On the other side of the relationship is a companion committed to what may come inside the flock. They don't see an issue, they just see changes. Handled properly the time management changes inside a flock are doable, with success. The problem with the human in the room is, they have no faith in the relationship that has unfolded before the changes. The human is underestimating the power of their relationship with their companion parrot. Never underestimate a companion parrot.
Here's the thing; LIFE brings change. Always.
To every single one breathing on this planet. Our lives change!
Here's the other thing; a companion parrot inside a healthy relationship with their human CAN tolerate changes! Those new changes will probably require a few additional changes to make the whole new lifestyle work. But isn't that life in general? You graduate college, you get a job that is more demanding. Your schedule changes. Your bills change. Your friends change. And without blinking an eye, you modify the things that need modifying to make room for the changes. Because that is life. Things change!!
When we bring a companion parrot into our lives, we are not buying a car that we can sell on a whim. We aren't bringing in furniture or an iPhone that will be upgraded. We are bringing in a cognitive and eager being that wants to build a relationship. And isn't that why we bring them into our lives to start? We at some moment looked into a pair of eyes and said, "Yes, I see you."
Why then are we so quick to consider the idea of abandonment when life changes? Mind you I am not talking about the changes that bring threats of death, illness, personal danger or homelessness. I am discussing changes like getting a new job, adding hours to an old job, moving to a new home, adding a child, getting married and the like. You know the stuff. Regular old life changes healthy humans experience simply by living a healthy life of choice.
Your companion does not want to be left behind. He wants to change with the flock. It's the purpose of flocking in the first place. Flocking protects all members inside the group during change. Each member modifies something to accommodate change and protect each other. To put it simply, our companion parrots are hardwired to accept change and modifications INSIDE A FLOCK.
I've had a couple people reach out to me in this moment of decision. I've had a Rescue Director reach out in elevated concern over a pair of companions over this type of decision. This moment of crisis thinking happens far too often. And unnecessarily so.
The relationship with your companion parrot is not based on one simple dynamic of time, or foods, or toys, or location, or cage or vetting. Our relationships are built on a fabric woven from all these things and more. The finished product is a pattern of promises and love. We are cloaked in our blanket of sincere concern and understanding that a flock has been formed. When one portion of that fabric is removed or lessened, another portion can be enlarged to accommodate the change. As humans we create family for that very reason. Our own little castle of protection and tribe.
How many parents relinquish their children when the parents both have to work? None. They find a way. They modify other aspects of family life to make room for this change. And when this is done with sincere love and honesty all members find their way. And they all know they are STILL a family after the change.
There are times when relinquishment may be the only option, but I do believe those times as they occur could be far less if the human in the room had more faith in the relationship they created in the beginning of their flock. Because I promise with all my heart, a companion parrot will be more than happy to modify the hours spent together for the chance to stay in their flock. Because their flock is their family. And because they promised you long ago they would never break the flock. Sometimes we forget this point. When a companion parrot trusts, and becomes YOUR companion parrot. At that very moment they made a promise you could not hear, but see every day; They promised to never leave you.
I think we owe them the same promise.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

People can preach all they like, but in the end the decision comes down to what is best for you, your family and your birds. If you think the birds will be happiest with you then that's something to think seriously about. And if you think they might be happier somewhere else, that's also something to think seriously about.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:10 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

another problem is that every morning, while they still covered in the cage in the bedroom (but there is some light coming in because the sun is up), Trillie starts yelling, or should I say singing very monotonous song to, I believe, Stella. I have to come in, open the blanket, talk to him, to make him stop.
I don't see anything good in this sudden courtship to Stella. Not good at all.

I used to have them covered for 12 hours. A routine was that Trillie and some other birds decided that it's late and time to sleep so they would come to the cage and others would follow, I would have to bring a few birds in but still with no big problems.
Now its very hard to get them all in the cage, as they all seem to be scared of every little thing (a whole flock isn't relaxed since Cuddles is gone). Yesterday I ended up grabbing Trillie when he didn't expect and throwing him in the cage. Then in the morning he sings (yells), and I am concerned that they may be hungry (remember they all are not eating well ) so they overall don't get to sleep as long as they used to

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:11 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's helpful to put a thicker cover on the cage so that inside it's dark enough to seem like night even when it's light outside. This will help reduce the hormone levels and the early-morning singing. "Sunrise" will come when you decide it's time to take the cover off.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:50 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

When i say "threw him in the cage" I dont literally mean it. Put him in.
They have food in the cage and usually when I was coming to wake them up, they were already in different places compared to the night placement. I try to monitor their night poop too to see if they are not sick. Its hard to say. There is not much poop after the night but some.
A woman called me today. She wants to sell a cockatiel that she has for $250 including the cage. How people come up with such prices i dont know. Even if i needed to buy a bird, i wouldnt be able to pay that much

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:45 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

You would say that I should have a lot of sympathy to Trillie who lost his long time mate and I do feel very sorry for his loss. He is just not a clever bird and this makes things very complicated. He stuck to Stella who is always with Tater Tot, and this makes things very complicated. He is aggressive. Stella and tater Tot try to get away where he can't find them, and when Trillie can't see Stella, he flock calls her. So his flock now are Stella and tater Tot (and its really stupid) while I have 3 other single and very beautiful girls who like Trillie

If I could send this 3 away (trillie, Stella, tater Tot), I would have a manageable situation. Others are very sweet birds. But who would need this troubled trio?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:30 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's what birds do, they think the one they can't have is more desirable than the ones that are available.

If you want to rehome them, they don't have to go as a trio. They're all too closely related to each other for breeding, so separating them would really be more desirable than keeping them together. If there are other birds in their new home they'll form a flock bond with them, and if there aren't other birds they'll form a flock bond with their new human.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:00 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

I wouldn't like them to be considered breeders. I would like a balance, like occasional breeding is OK (but not necessary), but not breeding as their main purpose.
The problem with Trillie is that he is very bird-oriented. As a companion, he is totally useless. HE is a nice bird when he is happy (I liked him a lot when he had Cuddles)
I would NOT send any of my birds individually to any houses that have no other cockatiels. I think the change would be too harsh for them.

Page 5 of 11 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next