It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 8 of 11 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: My remaining flock
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:20 pm 
Finch
Finch

Name: Janey
Gave happy chirps: 28 times
Got happy chirps: 7 times
it might help

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:51 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Clipping wings will often change a bird's attitude. They can't fly away from you as easily so they're more likely to cooperate with you instead of making the extra effort to leave. Even if they do fly away, it's a lot easier for you to retrieve them, so it's easier to work with them. They don't feel as confident and full of themselves. So aggressive birds may be less aggressive, and hormonal birds may be less hormonal.

You wouldn't have to clip all of them, but it would be worthwhile to try it with the ones that are causing the most problems. It will also be more of an effort for them to follow each other around, so you can put Trillie and Stella in different parts of the room and hope that they will stay where they are for at least a little while.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:41 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 19 times
Got happy chirps: 49 times
thanks ladies

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:51 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

this whole flock just doesn't make much sense now. I was thinking about changes in the flock even before Cuddles flew away. If I keep them as is, what goals should I have? What would you do, Carolyn, in my situation?

[ALL birds are related by blood]
Heartbroken Trillie. Isn't doing well on his own. Needs a hen and affection.

2 Couples of siblings that are kinda attached to each other for a long time (Bella&Sparkle, Stella & Tator Tot)
Bella and Sparkle is a couple that is willing (or used to be willing) to mess with me more than others

3 single girls: 2 Cinnamons can preen each others and sit together. One of them is seeking Trillie's attention. BabyFace is by herself and often would follow Trillie and stay next to him

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I can't really say what I'd do in your situation. I've tried to avoid that situation by having birds that are mostly not related to each other. I have enough closely related birds for it to cause some problems, but at least it's not the entire flock.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:48 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Gave happy chirps: 15 times
Got happy chirps: 74 times
I have found clipping the birds makes them much more manageable.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:39 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you're reluctant to clip, I would suggest trying a not-too-severe clip with one bird to see what happens, and then decide whether you want to do more.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:10 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

maybe I didn't describe the problem accurately (or the situation changed)
Right now, the problem is that my birds are disinterested in everything, and I don't see much interest in them because I realize I would never be able to offer what they need when they are surrounded by so many birds (in other words, I am not a member of the flock anymore. I was certainly member of Cuddles' flock)
At this time, I don't have much behavior problems with them. Trillie pretty much settled down.
I also realized that my human problems are very deep (wasn't speaking much about them) and I am not organized enough to successfully handle human problems and bird situation. It would be best for everybody to rehome them, but I don't have guts. I will be thinking over and over "what if" "what then" and so on.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:17 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Gave happy chirps: 15 times
Got happy chirps: 74 times
I really feel your pain.

I am imagining what it would be like if I lost Silver. He is the only one that is bonded to me in a way that is really satisfying. I guess, if that happened, I would get another young cockatiel that was finger tame. I would keep it separate and work with it before introducing it to the rest of the flock. I would take a LOT of time with the new bird before letting him get really involved with my other three.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:40 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Dianne wrote:
I really feel your pain.

I am imagining what it would be like if I lost Silver. He is the only one that is bonded to me in a way that is really satisfying. I guess, if that happened, I would get another young cockatiel that was finger tame. I would keep it separate and work with it before introducing it to the rest of the flock. I would take a LOT of time with the new bird before letting him get really involved with my other three.
yes this is one possible scenario. The problem is that I don't want to get involved even more with birds (or, I can't - my family is really in need of other things to be taken care of and they need my participation).

Page 8 of 11 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next