It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 7 of 11 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: My remaining flock
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:19 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 19 times
Got happy chirps: 49 times
I don't know if analogy is adequate, but I wasn't eating well at all when Cuddles got missing. My stomach was a mess along with my psychological state (in fact, it still is) . Maybe what Stella is going thru can be compared to this?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Do you think that Stella's issue could also be related to egg problems?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:02 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

tielfan wrote:
Do you think that Stella's issue could also be related to egg problems?
no idea
I didn't see her mating with anybody

Is watery disintegrated poop one of signs of possible egg problem? If she has an egg, it would be a real bad time for her health. She eats very little

She perked up before bed time a little bit. She ate some food. She is cleaning her feathers a lot and she was chirping a little bit later on, as normal (but not much)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:42 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Watery poops can be perfectly normal as long as the poop isn't watery ALL the time. It can just mean that the bird drank more water than usual. If the poop is abnormal all the time it can mean there's a problem, but there are so many different problems that can affect the poop that it's hard to say exactly what it means.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:45 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

today Stella is acting way better. She landed to drink when I was getting some fresh water and I saw her drinking, she also ate some food. It is a nice day here so I assembled the aviary and opened the door to see if any birds would fly out there. Actually everybody did (its a big progress. It used to be the way that I had to roll them out while locked in the cage to ensure that everybody goes outside. Most birds are willing to get out into the aviary but Trillie never made it out on his own in the past (too dumb). Now he finally learned how to fly out into the aviary, WOW).

Stella still looks tired though. so maybe it is egg related. We will have to see.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:50 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

The atmosphere here is like in a mental facility.
Morning starts with Trilie's angry song while they are still covered (I made the room darker and it did help to some extent but he still sings, just not real early)
I believe this is his courtship song to Stella in the cage.
When I let them out, Trillie starts following Stella, she is trying to escape him, Tator Tot accompanies them, and its not peaceful at all. Bella and her boyfriend Sparkle are looking for what else they can destroy in the house, and it is accompanied by loud calls to each other. Other 3 (unwanted) females just exist in between.
its real sad.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:58 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Gave happy chirps: 15 times
Got happy chirps: 74 times
Aw, sorry.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:00 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

I really don't know what to do.
Since Cuddles is gone, my relations with this flock has been going downhill with each day. They just simply ignore me. I think Cuddles, who was close to me, was giving them example on how to interact with humans and they wanted to follow her in this. Bella is another bird who used to be close to me, she learned to step up on her own, she used to fly to my shoulder and ask for scritches. Not anymore... When I offer her a hand, more often she chooses not to step up or even bites me.
If Trillie was a human, his IQ would probably have been below 90 or even 80. (pardon me discussing such a thing about poor bird... just venting out). Cuddles was very smart. I think it makes a huge difference in relations.

They are just growing more wild...I tried to offer millet in my hand. Sparkle ate some while the rest flew to the kitchen (I think they just followed Stella, and who knows what she was thinking about.

I also now spend a lot of time looking for a job, so I am not around as much as I used to be. I dedicate time to the flock when I wake them up (like serving them different food), but nobody needs my time with them now (they fly away from the food)

I think Trillie and Stella are the birds that make things very very complicated... Should I try to rehome this two? What about Tater Tot?

Any advise is welcome.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You're the only one that can really make the decision on whether to rehome anyone or not. If you're willing to clip their wings it will make them a lot more manageable. They don't have to be completely flightless, you can just clip enough to slow them down some.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:34 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

tielfan wrote:
You're the only one that can really make the decision on whether to rehome anyone or not. If you're willing to clip their wings it will make them a lot more manageable. They don't have to be completely flightless, you can just clip enough to slow them down some.
how would clipping help with our relations?
It's pretty obvious that I am that only person. I was wondering what a good pedagogical solution would be , if I can put it this way.
Another thought that I had was to take Trillie and probably Babyface to the bird bed and breakfast for 2-3 days (to at least allow Stella who is terrorized by Trillie, to eat). Babyface has been trying to get Triilie's attention for a long time. Maybe he would fall for her when they are alone? (would it be dangerous health-wise for them to go there? they don;t ask for vets checkup if the bird was bought in that store or if an owner owns a bird for more than a certain time)

Page 7 of 11 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next