Page 2 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Molting
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:59 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 19 times
Got happy chirps: 49 times
Bjornlefevre wrote:
I always ask myself why the human species feels the need to control or condition all that surrounds them...
not sure what you are talking about.

Quote:
But I have no clue what to answer you. (on either question)
the question about air conditioning was addressed to, mostly, tielfan. I thought you are in a rather moderate and comfortable climate there. Besides, your birds are outdoors, and this is totally different story. They see and get sunshine all day long, they feel wind, they listen to sounds of nature.
When you have to use air conditioning (like Carolyn, I have to use it) and your birds are indoors , it's very different than having birds in a outdoor aviary (you have to have all windows and doors closed, and AC itself makes a sound that makes me sleepy...Sorry for the explanation, not sure if you use a lot of air conditioning, I think you are lucky not to need it there)
I don't know if Carolyn grew up in Arizona climate (if so, she is very used to it), but as a person who came from much cooler climate, I just simply hate to be under air-conditioning most of the summer time. There are some outdoor activities, but again, weather permitting. For example, our paddle boarding tour on the lake got canceled due to high wind. Most people get outside in the morning and just before/after dark, unless they are swimming in a pool or lake.
I remember shock that I experienced when I stepped out airplane in Kansas on my first visit. It was in August (which is very hot) and at about 10-11 o'clock in the evening. I was shocked how hot it still was. In my native climate, when the sun goes down, it makes the weather immediately cooler even after hot day. Not here. Sleeping at night was hard too at the beginning (because of AC).

Post subject: Re: Molting
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:54 am 
Budgie
Budgie

Name: Bob
Gave happy chirps: 140 times
Got happy chirps: 52 times
I have some experience with a (bad) airconditioning installation at work. (I say bad because it's noisy as hell) I don't like the frosty feel of the wind it creates when sitting in front of it. (I have to sit there sometimes as the workstations we get appointed to can't be moved) I prefer it to be turned off, especially during the night, to open the windows instead. Only most of my colleagues start muttering about the bugs that come in that way...

I can see that the use of keeping a room under airconditioning is a must to keep the climate comfortable (for both you and the birds). I have no problems with it and as I said wouldn't have a clue to help out (as you stated, my birds are outdoors).

As to my first question, it was not meant as critique in any way. I was just in one of my more philosophical moments... Taking a step back and looking at what nature does (it grows where it sees fit and even kills to do so) and how we struggle to keep that under control. (Good thing we can do it, I believe it is why we have become the dominant species on this planet - whilst on the other hand we seem te be killing our planet and ourselves whilst doing so)

Profile E-mail  

Page 2 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2