Page 1 of 7 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: new flock member
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:11 pm 
Finch
Finch

Name: Janey
Gave happy chirps: 28 times
Got happy chirps: 7 times
Today I adopted another cockatiel. this little one has been living in a house of chaos. 4 kids from 17 to age 11 months, 3 of them boys. on all seed diet, EWWWWWWWWWW!!!! plus the mom and the kids are women's shelter for abused women. this is male (I think) named Bebe. about 10years old and standard gray tiel. :tielgrey: he has lived in cage that is decent size but extremely dirty with even nastier perches. I will be quarantine this bird for 30 days. every thing that can washed has been scrubbed within inch of it's life. the cage will get steam cleaned as soon as I can get to it, with out upsetting a already freaked out bird. Sweet Pea and Bebe have been flock calling to one another.

Post subject: Re: new flock member
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:04 pm 
Previous owner
Previous owner

Name: Melissa
Gave happy chirps: 142 times
Got happy chirps: 69 times
Awww thats sweet cant wait to see pictures

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:07 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 19 times
Got happy chirps: 49 times
janey'sbird, congratulations with the new flock member!
How did you come across this guy? did they want to re-home him or was it somehow your idea? it's definitely a good move for him - good luck and thank you!
How many birds do you have now? Are they all cockatiels?

I just recalled how I rescued a tiel from an overseas pet store where he was for a very long time in awful conditions (I had to buy him for the full price as they didn't want to negotiate despite of having him for years). I found a breeder locally who agreed to accept him after I bought him (it was a little too far for me to transport him to my home). She later told me that he was immediately given a better cage with new feeding cups. Sadly, the bird was so stressed that he didn't eat for 3 days. Accidentally, breeder's daughter offered him food that was in his old, eaten and beaten, feeder. He was very hungry for that food!

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 8:57 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
I'm sure he'll have a wonderful life with you!

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:12 am 
Finch
Finch

Chipper wrote:
janey'sbird, congratulations with the new flock member!
How did you come across this guy? did they want to re-home him or was it somehow your idea? it's definitely a good move for him - good luck and thank you!
How many birds do you have now? Are they all cockatiels?

I just recalled how I rescued a tiel from an overseas pet store where he was for a very long time in awful conditions (I had to buy him for the full price as they didn't want to negotiate despite of having him for years). I found a breeder locally who agreed to accept him after I bought him (it was a little too far for me to transport him to my home). She later told me that he was immediately given a better cage with new feeding cups. Sadly, the bird was so stressed that he didn't eat for 3 days. Accidentally, breeder's daughter offered him food that was in his old, eaten and beaten, feeder. He was very hungry for that food!

I have 2 tiels now, Sweet Pea and Bebe. the person that had Bebe was about to become homeless and can't take the bird into the shelter that she and her 4 kids, ages 17yrs old to 11 months old are living in. she and I talked many times on the phone and after she heard how I feed my birds, fresh foods and that they are allowed out of the cages daily with supervision of course. she knew that Bebe is going to good home. it was her idea, but I also asked her to sign waiver that says the bird is mine permanently. this is for my own safety, I once took in & cared for of another tiel that was suppose to mine forever, but the owners came after over 6 months and wanted their bird back. I had fallen hopelessly in love with LB. and it broke my heart to give her up. so that is why the waiver. she has my phone number and said she would like to check in on Bebe. that will be ok. I know some of it's history and it's not good. so it will be a huge challenge for the bird and me. but I have had fearful birds before and know it's soft voices, gentle hands and gobs od patience.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:40 am 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
The ex-owner is right. You were a good choice!

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 6:56 am 
Budgie
Budgie

Name: Bob
Gave happy chirps: 140 times
Got happy chirps: 52 times
Good to hear another bird gets to live a better life... now to repeat the request: PICS PLEASE!!! :clap:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 1:29 pm 
Finch
Finch

when I get my computer running a little better and can get back to my photobucket acct.
he didn't eat for the first couple of days, he was so fearful. and has bitten me several times.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 2:39 pm 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
Have you ever read our taming articles? Here's one Carolyn wrote called food bribery: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/i ... ibery.html

And here's the one I wrote myself: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/i ... howto.html

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 6:44 pm 
Finch
Finch

thanks for the tips and ideas. he is finally eating. like I said his history is really sad. and found some evidence under the cage tray, poop so thick and dried on it took soaking the whole tray in the tub with lots of dawn dish soap, the perches weren't any better. there was ground up Doritos on the bottom of that nasty mess too. I was offering a treat yesterday when Bebe took the worst bite yet. I think this is going to take more then few days be/4 he is settled. he is quarantine for 30 days and today was the first day I heard any chirps or whistles. but it took putting a radio in the room with him to keep him company.

Page 1 of 7 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next