All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: They bark
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:49 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 19 times
Got happy chirps: 49 times
We have new neighbors whose backyard is adjacent to our backyard (well, relatively new... they moved in about 3 months ago, that's how long it took me to create a thread LOL)
anyway, there is only a chain link fence between us, and they have 3 very small but very loud doggies. Thanks goodness, they don't keep the dogs outside all day long. With colder weather, their attendance to the back yard is rather limited. The problem is that they bark...it doesn't matter if they see my rabbits or me... or anything/anybody else. I am already to the point when I am afraid to come out to a backyard if the dogs are outside. I had hoped they would stop barking on my rabbits when they get used to them, but it hasn't happened.
I understand that dogs do bark so I'm not making a big deal out of it, unless they bark in the dark when it's pretty late. It's not that owner ignores their bark, it looks like she's trying her best - she even apologized a few times, but the problem is that it still takes her some time to come out and bring them in (long minutes of bark for us when people trying to sleep).
I am thinking to write her a note anonymously (asking to take dogs for a walk around the block to prevent them from barking when people sleep) and put it in her door. (I learned while living here that you never know if people have a gun or of they would get mad from what you tell them, that;s why I don't want to talk to them... who knows... I have rabbits right next to them)
Any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: They bark
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:09 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Gave happy chirps: 15 times
Got happy chirps: 74 times
I feel for you.
I have lived near noisy neighbors. I have had little luck getting anyone to change their behavior. At one time I was so fed up I started thinking it would be nice to live in a village that banned dogs. That's not going to happen, though.
Where I live now (a coop) we are allowed dogs only up to 20 pounds and we are not allowed to leave dogs outside alone. A lot of people here have small dogs, but we don't have the barking.
We have a neighbor that has a much larger dog. Apparently he thinks he can get away with it. We have been unable to resolve the situation so far, but are still trying.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:32 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Would it be possible to plant a row of bushes next to the chain link fence? That would help block off the dogs' view of your yard. It won't stop the problem since they'll still bark when they hear you, but maybe it'll make it a little easier. At least your rabbits won't be able to see the predators next door.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:33 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 19 times
Got happy chirps: 49 times
I think rabbits don't care. They adjusted, unlike the dogs. I will think about the bushed, would I have to wait until spring anyway?
I was talking about the legal side of it... there are quiet hours (I believe after 10pm here), and I can actually file a complaint (which I wouldn't do). What you think about warning them that there is a problem with the bark?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:12 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
There's no harm in writing a polite note explaining that there's a problem and making suggestions about how to solve it. Keeping the dogs indoors at night would help with the nighttime barking. If they bark inside the house she'll want to shut them up for her own sake, and the walls will muffle the sound so it doesn't bother the neighbors.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:20 am 
Previous owner
Previous owner

Name: Melissa
Gave happy chirps: 142 times
Got happy chirps: 69 times
Put bag dog treats with the note

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]