Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: My Spaz-monster
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:23 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
I realize that I talk about my dog from time to time here, but I haven't really shared many pictures. So I thought I might as well.

His name is Bo.
This was one of the first pictures I took when I got my camera during Christmas a couple years back. It was before I got the birds, and he was basically all I had to photograph aside from nature stuff.

He's 5 years old and weighs almost 9 pounds. After many years of trying to figure out what kind of dog he is, we settled for some kind of cairn terrier mix. One vet he saw suggested that he had some poodle in him.
These were some pictures taken during a pretty light rainfall. Bo is afraid of water, but he'll sit on the patio with me. The lighting just seemed perfect, so I got a treat and made him stay still and watch as I photographed different angles.

He's very photogenic under the right motiivation. :)

I got him during my sophomore year of highschool, when my mom and I were looking for a dog. A neighbor of ours who trains dogs told us about him. An elderly woman adopted him from a rescue, but was prepared to take him back because he was so clingy, she tripped on him and fell at least three times.
She showed us a picture, and considering there was basically nothing to base his size off of, we expected him to be larger than he actually is. So you can guess my surprise when my mom came to pick me up from school with a tiny 8 pound lap dog in the car with her. Nonetheless, it was like love at first sight, on both our ends. Bo has been anxious since the beginning, but he immediately calmed down as soon as I started to hold him. Since then, he's basically been my hairy shadow, as he follows me everywhere, and is glued to my side at all times (though he likes to be with my dad when I'm at college).

He also likes to lay on me... Literally.

Also, the reason why I call him spaz-monster, is because he'll have his moments where he would get super excited over the smallest things. I once called his name, and instead of just coming to me, he ran around the coffee table in the living room at least 5 times, ran into the kitchen and dining room, ran back and then came to me.

Dogs are probably the animal I familiarize myself the most with, since I've been around them for about as long as birds, though I've had more interaction and experience with dogs. Bo didn't come perfectly trained. I had to work on quite a few things. There's still a bit of things that are a work in progress, but we're getting there. He's stubborn and seems to have selective hearing loss (he only listens when he wants to), but he's gotten better.

Post subject: Re: My Spaz-monster
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:29 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
I love the first pic! He looks like a cartoon dog, with a huge head attached to a tiny body.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:42 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Yeah, he ends up looking like that in a lot of my pictures. :lol: I think it's just how the hair on his face is.

He does have somewhat of a slim build. Much more slim than the bulky-ish build of a cairn terrier. He has some long legs too. Heck, when my sister saw him, the first thing she said was: "it looks like a rat on stilts". :lol: I probably need to get a picture of him standing to show you guys.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:56 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
It sounds like your sister has a wicked sense of humor. I can kind of see that in the first picture - there's a huge head and some fairly long but very skinny legs, and almost nothing in between.

My grandmother had a pug that was grossly overweight. The body was very round but the legs were very thin. We always said the dog looked like a beer barrel propped up on toothpicks.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:16 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
Lovely pictures.... he looks a joy to have...
thank you for sharing him....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:38 am 
Previous owner
Previous owner

Name: Melissa
Gave happy chirps: 142 times
Got happy chirps: 69 times
Awww he is so cute

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:43 am 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
love that doggy beard.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:24 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

he's a total love. Like any small dog though, he suffers from what I call "little dog syndrome", which is very similar to "short-man syndrome". He thinks he's the largest dog in the world.

On a nature documentary I was watching, it showed some polar bears eating. As soon as one looked towards the camera, he started growling. :lol:

He's my great protector. He'll go after larger dogs, bark at strangers, friends and family, and growls at thunder...

But what is he afraid of? Cats and bugs. :lol: I had to stay at my sister's for a couple days once. He tried to go after one of her cats, and when they did so much as turn around and look at him, he started running the other way while "squealing" (that's literally what it sounds like). Then when a cricket managed to get in the house, he did not want to go near it.

Trying to fix the behavior of him growling and barking at people though. He will actually try to attack my mom if she gets too close, and bark at my dad if he dances from accross the room. It's a behavioral problem he's had since the beginning.

Heck, on the first day, I let him sleep in my bed. I kept my door open at night during the time, and my dad was still working. He got up at 4 am and peeked in the room to see if the dog was there, to which Bo growled at him.
It was probablg a week later when I finally drew the line. He laid his head on my neck as I slept, and when my mom entered the room to wake me up, he barked in my ear. Then I got him his own bed, which he's been sleeping in since.

He has certainly improved though. He doesn't bark when my mom enters the room first thing in the morning anymore. When my mom walks up to me while I'm sitting down, she pets him before anything, and that has certainly helped. Still trying to keep him calm when my dad decides to dance though. No idea why he gets so angry about that, but he does.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]