It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: I met oppossum (sitting in shock)
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:15 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 19 times
Got happy chirps: 49 times
tielfan wrote:
It worries me that the possum was so unafraid. It makes me wonder about rabies. They're wild animals, they should run away when a human comes that close.

thsi may be an answer (should I consider myself as extreme danger? LOL)

Quote:
If faced with an extreme threat such as a dog attack, the animal may feign death or “play opossum” for which this behavior is named. Playing opossum is a passive defensive tactic used by the opossum as well as other species in the animal kingdom, such as the hog-nosed snake. Feigning death functions to turn off all potential signals that might trigger the predator to attack or continue its attack. Opossums are extremely tough animals and can withstand considerable abuse. Opossum skeletons that have been examined often reveal well-healed bone fractures which equivalent sized eutherian mammals never would have survived. During feigned death the opossum often lies on its side curled up with its eyes and mouth open and teeth bared. The tongue may hang out of the mouth and the animal continues to drool considerably. The toes of the forepaws are closed and grasp anything in contact with them, even the other forepaw. The opossum appears to be in a catatonic state and this condition may occur for as little as a few minutes or last for several hours. Poking and shaking will not revive the animal from its catatonic state nor will it flinch from abuse while in this state. Younger animals are more apt to play opossum than older ones.

http://www.wildliferescuerehab.com/all- ... ssums.html

Post subject: Re: I met opossum (sitting in shock)
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:16 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Interesting that for many months we had no perpetrators even near our yard.
Yesterday, the cat was sitting again on top of the neighbors fence, I scared him off, he walked around and sat again on the same fence but on another side from us (its a long fence). I even drove my car to park at the business near which he was to take a better look at him. he is a large strong cat.

Today, the possum was sitting at the same favorite spot on the fence (where the cat sat a day earlier). I educated myself more about possums, and wasn't so scared. I was standing in my yard shining flashlight at him, he had to stop his walk on the fence towards me and froze for some time. he clearly understands that I, armed with the flashlight, am a danger. Then he slowly turned around, but the fence doesn't go much further in the opposite direction (if you walk that way, soon there will be a street with traffic). I got some mercy and decided to let him do his business or at least find out his intentions. I turned off flashlight and stood quiet. In a bit, he decided that the way was clear and proceeded where he was originally going - on top of the wooden fence towards me. There is a 90 degree turn where fence meets my yard, he turned. We have couple of bushes (or small trees) in the backyard growing by the fence, their tops are taller than the fence. He kept walking , I couldn't see him anymore because of the bush branches. Then I accidentally scared him again and he hid behind tree branches. Seems that his transit goes on that fence thru my yard. I am not sure if he lowers to the ground in my yard, I hope not.
Another my concern is that he can possibly climb huge tree in my front, get onto my roof, and penetrate into my attic.
We also keep back garage door open basically all day long (for rabbits, in case they have an emergency and need to hide in garage) . I don't want possum to get and hide in garage. I hope he is a normal possum who sleeps during the day in his den. Then with twilight I have to close that door.
Would you guys do whatever possible to deter possum from being so near us, or would you let him be? I still haven't decided if I should lay wire with sharp spikes on the fence where they (cat and possum) like to walk so much. I don't wanna harm anybody.
The internet says possums are not bad at all (considering that my rabbits are protected and not loose) .

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:28 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

I just discovered we have a whole population of possums :(
I drove to the store at night and on the way back almost ran one over in my neighborhood. It was not far from my house so I thought it was the one I used to see....
Then I decided to go around my house with the flashlight. Jesus Christmas... My neighbor has a tractor and a little fence surrounding it. A pair of shining eyes were running from there straight to me as if I was a dog owner who brought a treat. Paying absolutely no attention to me standing there with flashlight, this possum went up our wooden fence (being 1 foot away from me!) and disappeared in bushes tops (as if somebody was chasing him. I am guessing the same cat?). After him, another possum ran from the same area towards me, but this one didn't climb up the fence. He hesitated and went back where he came from.

I read they have babies around May-June and in 100 days babies become independent. Maybe this is what going in. I wonder if it's time to call special services...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:52 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
I wonder if your neighbor is feeding the possums and treating them like pets. That would explain a lot about their attitude toward you.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:59 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

I thought about it. I wouldn't think he would but who knows. he doesn't like me and my pets

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:24 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Does anyone know what animal can make a sound at night (when its dark) that sounds like a bird whistle but short (one at a time, then repeated, but not a long continuous whistle that we usually associate with bird singing). I hear it now at night but never heard it previously.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:52 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Could it be a night bird? There are several species of owls, and some of them sound very different from each other. There are also other types of nocturnal birds.

The internet says that birds that call at night in Kansas (besides owls) include the Northern Mockingbird, Whip-poor-will, Chuck-will's-widow, Common Poorwill, and the Common Nighthawk. There are lots of recordings of bird calls online, and if you search for those species you may be able to find out which one is making the call. It says there are also toads and frogs that can sound like a bird call.

This link has a list of the bird species in Kansas: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_birds_of_Kansas

Including a section on owls: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_b ... #True_owls

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:35 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

thank you tielfan, you are always helpful!

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2