Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: All animals in my life...
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:43 pm 
Budgie
Budgie

Name: Bob
Gave happy chirps: 140 times
Got happy chirps: 52 times
Reading about reptiles and other pets on this forum I figured I might as well come clean and throw a spam-like message on here about animals in general.

I'l be going over every animal I ever had or thought about buying in the past to the present day.

I have had:
* guinea pigs (bred them as a kid)
* mice (bred them as a kid, hoping if I had enough my parents would let me keep (a) snake(s) - but that didn't happen)
* dogs (parents had a german sheppard, poodle and Jack Russel, I currently own a Rhodesian Ridgeback)
* Cats (tried them 2 times, both times I payed for neutering them and bought siblings, both times they went away one day to never come back. I'm thinking it's the neighbour who breeds rabbits who has somehow 'killed' them but I have no hard evidence so ...)
* Birds (I have currently some zebra finches, budgies, cockatiels, canaries, 4 chickens (two of them look like this: Image
Sorry. I don't know what the breed is in english. (It would translate to something silly like 'silk-chicken')
I used to have Brahma chickens - but they grew old and died)

What animals am I going to get:
* I'm going to buy a cock and 2 hens of this local chicken breed called Combattant de Bruges next year somewhere in June (or so is the plan) I was too late to buy some this year. I'm still hoping a friend of mine pulls some strings for me so I can get them earlier, but as I hear most of the breeders have already sold their animals they don't want to use for breeding.
* some local frogs (don't know what kind yet) but the plan is to make a 'natural' swimming pond in our back yard, and if we do I'll sneak in some spawn from a local pond that has massive amounts of frogs in it.

Animals I would like to have or once in my lifetime wanted:
* I would LOVE to have Highland cattle. But since I don't live on a farm that's never going to happen.
* A red eyed tree frog or some oophaga sylvatica are gorgeous to look at!
* An aquarium (pillar shaped) with some upside down jellyfish or other jellyfish (Phyllorhiza punctata) would be very welcome in my home.
* I thought about snakes, all sizes and shapes from Python molurus to Pantherophis guttatus (rat snake), I don't think I'll ever own one.
* a Tarantula was once on my 'want' list. Not any more (my wife is afraid of spiders)
* a ferret but since that guy is a predator and I don't want my birds or chickens hunted I'm not keen on getting one. I doubt I can train it as good as I can control my dog.

I think I covered them all now.

Now it's your turn. Make your list!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: All animals in my life...
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:57 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
Funny enough, that breed is actually known as the "silkie chicken" in English. :lol:

Let's see here... I've had:
- birds (used to have parakeets, society and zebra finches and quail)
- fresh and saltwater fish
- lizards/geckos
- tortoises (some have come and gone)
- a box turtle
- lots of dogs
- a cat

Currently have:
- more birds (cockatiels, pionus, diamond dove, mannikin finch and now an English budgie)
- still some freshwater fish (just with a pond now)
- a crested gecko
- still some tortoises
- a red eared slider turtle
- not as many dogs (only two now)

What I will get:
Who knows?? No immediate plans right now but given that I just got two new pets in the span of two days... :lol:
In all seriousness though, I'm gonna refrain from getting any more for now.

Pets I would love to have:
- sugar gliders
- Guinea pigs
- a rabbit
- a chameleon
- I thought about a potbelly pig since there's a pig rescue here. Chances of that happening are slim though. The chances of me having a yard that can accommodate for one is unlikely.
- a second diamond dove for Joey (none at the bird show)
- the possibility of a chicken came up too. Also very unlikely
- a either a red-footed or a leopard tortoise

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:59 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Love the chickens! Which are indeed called silkies in English. I'd like to have chickens, but the neighbors wouldn't like it and the hawks would like it far too much.

Quote:
- a second diamond dove for Joey (none at the bird show

About half the usual vendors were missing at today's bird mart. Somebody in California had a bird mart on the same day we did, and a lot of the vendors went to that one instead of ours.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:30 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
*cracks knuckles*

I have/had:

Fish- about 10 betta fish, 10 neon tetra and about 5 goldfish.

Birds- 2 cockatiels, 4 budgies, 1 lovebird and a blue crown conure.

Reptiles- 1 ball python and took in hurt alligator lizards I found outside (like, hurt by cats).

Furry animals- 5 cats, 1 hamster and 2 guinea pigs.

Others- about 6 hermit crabs.

And animals I'd like to get. For starters, anyone here who has known me long enough knows I'm going to say horse. Definitely some new reptiles too. Specifically-

An albino ball python
A green tree python
A sumatran blood python
And I wouldn't object to a white lipped python or a red tailed boa.

That's honestly about it. I am just going to see what life throws at me. I don't want too many animals. I'm perfectly content with the birds I have, so I'm not going to go bird crazy since they need so much attention. I'm more lenient with my reptile list because in my opinion they're more simplified to care for than some birds. And you know, a horse.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:18 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
I've had dogs tropical fish,
Now...... 3 Parrotlets.....2budgies....1tiel.....
Do I want more! Have as many as I can cope with.....
Oh yes, and a king Charles Cavalier dog....which I look
after for my daughter.....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:47 am 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Name: Dee
Gave happy chirps: 45 times
Got happy chirps: 20 times
You would not believe how bad I want silkies! They're my favourite chooks and have so much personality. Such odd looking but lovely things :D

I have had...

Birds - various foreign finches, various quails, quaker parakeets, lineolated parakeets, yellow fronted kakarikis, Indian eagle owl (RIP far too young - heart issue), American kestrel (stolen), Indian ringnecks (RIP - one wild caught and injured and one 20s and abused) and my companion parrots who we unfortunately lost (Alexandrine, orange winged Amazon, green cheeked conures and a black capped lory)

Dogs - in order of when they left us; German Shepherd (RIP age 8 - huge stroke), Patterdale terrier x Staffordshire bull terrier (RIP age 13), JRT x springer spaniel (although she was my dog as a kid my mom's fiance took her when they broke up and after his death she went to his parents who I don't have contact with), border collie (RIP age 18 - cancer) and a mudi (RIP age 12 - pyometra... SPAY! She could have survived if her old owners had her done but she was 10 when we got her and couldn't!)

Cats - maine coon x (RIP age 20)

Smaller furries - a few rabbits over the course of my life but namely a brown Dutch I had all through my childhood who passed away in double figures, various hamsters and mice as a child, a couple of guinea pigs and a wonderful rat too. I don't mind them but small furries just aren't for me (except rats but they don't live long enough for me to accept the heartache!)

Reptiles - yellow bellied slider (RIP age unknown but old we do know!), leopard gecko (RIP age 10-12), common boa (RIP unknown age force feeder who didn't thrive), common boa (RIP double figures rescue with many health issues she got over but caught up in the end), sunbeam snake (RIP age unknown wild caught specimen given to me)

Various fresh water fish all my life

Animals I currently have...

Birds - numerous budgies, 6 cockatiels, 1 red fronted kakariki, 3 black masked lovebirds, 2 black cheeked lovebirds, 1 Fischer's lovebird, 1 peach faced lovebird, 3 Alexandrine parakeets, 1 Indian ringneck parakeet, 1 diamond dove and a Harris' hawk

Dogs - 2 border collie x papillons (siblings and 3 years old)

Cats - 1 moggie semi long haired (8 years old)

Reptiles - 2 common boas (2 years and 1 year), 1 coastal carpet python (age unknown but double figures), 1 black rat snake (age unknown but maybe double figures), 1 California king snake (2 years old), 2 corn snakes (4 and 9 years old), 1 ball python (2 years old), 1 hybrid ball x blood python (3 years old), 3 bearded dragons (1, 2 and 16 years old), 1 Irian Jaya blue tongued skink (2 years old), 3 musk turtles and 1 Ouachita map turtle (4 years old)

Fish - 1 Sailfin plec (8 years old perhaps?) and 1 common plec (5-6 years old)

I don't think I will list the animals I would like but I would like another dog when the time is right and preferably a large breed. I'm getting into dog security so I'll likely own a GSD, GSD x or a Malinois in a couple of years time. I would like a bully breed too. Huge pit bull advocate but UK laws are ridiculous and I hope will be abolished. I would have a few cats but mine is cat aggressive and it won't work. We fostered once and it was like all hell had broken loose. When the inevitable happens I'd like to adopt two older males that may need to find a home together. Birds I'd be here all day. Reptlies are the same. I'd like some inverts and I think arachnids are awesome. I won't be after any small furries BUT I will say that I would like a few ferrets. As a falconer they're an essential tool and I have an enormous custom built enclosure sitting empty. I've been offered some for next summer to train up for the 2017 season so it's a maybe right now. Another Harris' hawk (female) and a long wing would be nice. I really want chickens. I'll either get some ex bat hens or some silkies. Or both!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:14 pm 
Budgie
Budgie

Name: Bob
Gave happy chirps: 140 times
Got happy chirps: 52 times
Coming back to my previous post: I am now the proud owner of 3 combatant of Bruges:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:32 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 19 times
Got happy chirps: 49 times
Congratulations, they are gorgeous! Are you going to have some fresh eggs from them ?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:44 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
Luv the chickens

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:50 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Fine looking birds! I'd love to have chickens, but there would be problems with both the neighbors and the wild predators.

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next