Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Stalking Cockatiel
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:58 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Name: Erik
Gave happy chirps: 113 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
The bird is a creep. Such a weird stalker. He crawls up on you, waits for you to turn the camera off, and then starts to bite your ear...(The last one is just a speculation)

phpBB [video]

PS: What im saying in the video makes no sense at all

Post subject: Re: Stalking Cockatiel
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
He lurves you! :muchlove: :loveshower100:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:25 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
Aww, reminds me of baby Jaid.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:31 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
Quite the clingy one, huh? Reminds me of all of Carolyn's tiel-baby stories. :lol:

Is pip like that at all, Erik?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:56 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Hahaha Carolyn!! And no, Pip is not like that at all :(

I have my patience and try to keep my distance, but everytime i get near him, he hisses at me and tries to bite me. Even though his bite isn't hard at all, it hurts me that he might actually feels scared of me and unsecure. I have tried out many videos that say how you could actually tame them, but Pip has not bonded with me like Coco has :(

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It might be helpful to let Pip watch Coco eating millet spray out of your hand, and occasionally you can offer some to Pip. Millet spray is great for shy birds because it's long and you can hold it so they can eat it without having to come too close to your hand. If he's not ready to eat from your hand yet, here's an article on ways that you can work up to it: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/i ... ibery.html

Don't take it personally that he's afraid of you. He may have had a previous bad experience with humans, and now he doesn't trust any of them. It's possible that he might never learn to trust you completely, but you can teach him that he doesn't have to be as scared as he is now. It will take time though, maybe a long time. But Coco will set a good example and that will be helpful.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:14 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Thank you. I have been wanting to build up trust with millet spray, but unfortunately the millet you gave me is now done. I just never thought that i would need more before i left. And the problem is that in Mexico, there is no millet spray, just spare millet seeds. I have actually done what you've said about giving the example to Pip through Coco, and he's actually been improving, but i just feel like this could go a lot faster with some millet spray. People here just dont see birds as "Top Priority" and just see them as a simple toy that just needs food and water, and that really gets in my nerves.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:25 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
Aww, Carolyn! You beat me to just about the majority of what I was about to say in my post! :lol:

He will warm up to you eventually. Every cockatiel is different, and will adjust at different paces. Patience is definitely the key in this case.

Where did you get Pip, by the way? Based on whatever his background might be, he could have had a traumatic experience with people, at some point.

B (CrazyConure) has actually made a pretty good article on taming. I've used some of the methods explained there, combined with some other methods, in order to work with Lucy. Just don't try to rush it. Work on one step, until you feel you have that step 100% accomplished. Then move on to the next step, rinse and repeat.
http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/i ... howto.html

One thing that might help though, is taking him to a room away from his cage. That way, in the unfamiliar place, you become the familiar thing, and he is a little more likely be able to cooperate. Now, it's not guaranteed this will instantly turn him into the most cuddly bird, but it might speed up the process.

It is possible to grow your own millet spray. If you have any in his diet, you can use that to grow millet plants, and the seeds always come in the form of a spray. Could save you money, rather than buying some imported sprays. ;) But if you're not good with gardening, you could possibly find websites online that sell spray, that will ship to your area.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:27 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Would it be possible to order some millet spray online? International shipping can be difficult sometimes even though you're in the country next door, so I don't know whether this is practical or not.

It's OK if it's not practical to get more millet spray. It will just take longer to win his trust, but you will get there in the end. If you can come to the October bird mart in Tucson you can get a big box of millet spray (5 pounds!) from Miller Feed. That would last for a long time. I get my millet spray and most of my other seeds from them because their prices and quality are good.

The October bird mart is a lot bigger than the summer bird mart. Here's a picture of a small part of it showing Miller Feed:

There are more bird mart pictures on the AST website at http://www.astbirdclub.org/expos.html

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:37 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Thank you JessiMuse. I'll try that out.

I think i might be able to visit Arizona on october. Although im not too confident, i could tell my uncle to buy me some and give it to me next time i visit. I'll read the article you posted.

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next