Post subject: Re: Stalking Cockatiel
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:44 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Name: Erik
Gave happy chirps: 113 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
I am sure I'll go on January, but i dont think I'll be able to go on October :(

But can you please tell me what are the "MUST BUY's" on those HUGE bird expo's? I can tell my uncle what to buy for me, and go pick it up in January. Hmm, i was wondering, does millet spray rot or age?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:28 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Like any seed, millet lasts a long time if you store it well, basically meaning dry conditions and cool temperatures. But any seed will lose its nutritional value if it gets too old. I usually buy a 6-month supply and keep most of it in the freezer to help it stay fresh, but I'd expect that most seed would stay good for a year if the temperature isn't excessively hot.

For me the must-buy item at the bird marts is bird seed, which I get from Miller Feeds. They're located in the Phoenix area, and they only come to the big bird marts in the spring and fall, not the small summer bird mart. I get the 40% parakeet mix (that's their name for it), which is a plain basic budgie mix of millet, canary grass seed, and oats. It comes in 5 pound, 10 pound and 25 pound sizes. I get the 25 pound bag which lasts for about six months, but I have 14 birds and you only have 2 so a smaller size would be better for you. I also get a small bag of safflower, hemp and buckwheat to mix with the parakeet seed -the hemp and buckwheat are 1 or 2 pounds each, I don't remember which. The safflower bag is bigger, maybe 3 to 5 pounds, but I think it's available in a smaller size. They have sunflower too but I usually buy that at the grocery store. The millet spray comes in a 5-pound box which lasts me for about six months because I use it as a treat, not as a major part of their diet. Miller also has loose millet sprays so you could buy some of those if you don't want a huge 5-pound box. They also have nice big cuttlebones at a low price, $1 each I think.

There's lots of other stuff at the bird mart too of course - cages, perches, toys, etc. So if there's something special you need you could ask your uncle to look for that. The vendors who were at the summer bird are usually at the bigger bird marts too, but there are several other vendors who only come to the big ones.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:46 am 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Name: Erik
Gave happy chirps: 113 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
Im dying to go. But I unfortunately have school. I'll tell my uncle about the october bird thingy, because he is also a bird person, like, a huge fan and has over 14+ cages and more than 2 birds in each one. So i guess he might go and buy me luts und luts uf mulletss!!!! Oh, and also, ¿What's a cuttlebone?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:26 am 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
It's the bone of a cuttlefish. It has calcium that birds need for vitamins, and it trims their beak and nails.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:31 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
It's one of these things:

It's the internal shell of the cuttlefish. It's offered to birds and some other animals as a source of calcium. It's hard to get enough calcium from seeds and vegetables, so it's good to provide a cuttlebone or mineral block so birds can chew on it when they need more calcium. There are usually vendors at the bird mart selling mineral blocks too, which usually have other minerals in them in addition to calcium. They come in a variety of sizes, shapes and colors. Most of them are white and plain-looking but there are some fancy ones too.

Page 2 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2