Page 1 of 3 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Cockatiels annoying different species
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:56 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
It seems cockatiels have a knack for trying to make a nuisance of themselves, when it comes to other species of parrots (or birds in general). no idea why this is, maybe it's because they sing to almost everything. That's how these tiles are doing it at least. Here are my favorite videos, of cockatiels singing to other species, and annoying the heck out of them.

First, we have turquoise parakeets trying to work together to feed their young, but the cockatiel just keeps getting in the way.
phpBB [video]

Now the story behind this, is that the cockatiel in the past has worked well as a foster parent to the grass parakeet's clutch, feeding and taking care of them. He may be helping, though the turquoise parakeets aren't really that grateful for him barging in. So one year, the owner decided to make the hole smaller in the nesting box, so the parakeets could have some peace, as the cockatiel wouldn't be able to get in. Apparently, that didn't work so well, since he's (literally) getting in the middle of the pair, singing away.

The way cockatiels raise their young is different from quite a few parrots. Here you see the father feeding the mother. Usually, certain species, the mother stays with the chicks, while the father goes to get food, to regurgitate to the mother, so she could re-regurgitate to the babies (kind of like a husband that picks up groceries, and the wife serves them for dinner).

Well with cockatiels, it's a bit different. The mother will spend some time with the chicks, feeding them, and then the dad will come and do the same, so the mother can go out to get something to eat. Cockatiels are among a lot of species of birds in general, who parent this way. So one could imaging that a male cockatiel coming to feed the chicks, would be somewhat disturbing to the mother.

This not one consists of a young male cockatiel, singing to a budgie. Now usually, when you look up "cockatiel and budgie" on YouTube, you can commonly find a video where the budgie is the one annoying the cockatiel. Now this time, the cockatiel is being the nuisance, though the parakeet isn't really annoyed. He just seems to not know what to make of the singing bird.
phpBB [video]

I will admit, the sounds of the frying pan in the background does concern me (you're not supposed to have birds in the kitchen while cooking), though I still thought this scene was too cute!
By the way, props to anyone who can name the song he's singing! :D

This next one is incredibly short, but I still find it incredibly precious. A cockatiel trying to serenade a Dove, though the dove doesn't really seem impressed.
phpBB [video]

At one point, the dove even gives the cockatiel a little peck, to try and shut him up. :lol:
I honestly with this one went on longer. I also with it didn't end so abruptly, to a "sponsor". Still, whenever I see it, I can't help but smile. :)

Post subject: Re: Cockatiels annoying different species
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
The male in the first video is VERY persistent!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:24 am 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
I like how he puts his beak right in the parakeet's ear hole. That's something Beaker does.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:47 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Indeed. :D That turquoise pair must be very tolerant, to put up with that kind of annoyance. Especially considering how loud a cockatiel can be (especially when they're singing in your ear). Maybe he's trying to sing to the babies, or something? :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:45 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Singing to the babies or to the nestbox itself lol. Male cockatiels are goofy and will sing to just about anything connected to breeding - hens, nestboxes, eggs and babies.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:46 am 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
Feet.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:29 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Beaker's feet make him happy. :lol:

Any idea why cockatiels seem to feel the need to raise someone else's babies? I noticed Carolyn's tiels did that too. Is it a flock behavior? Or do cockatiels just really... REALLY love baby birds?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cockatiels really, really love breeding. If raising somebody else's babies is the closest they can get to it, they'll do it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:21 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

The funniest part about it though, is that you can hear other cockatiels in the background. One would think he would have his own mate and chicks to take care of. Instead, he just really seems to like the turquoise pair and their chicks too much. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:00 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cockatiels tend to fall in love inappropriately lol. They'll ignore a suitable mate in favor of forbidden love or someone who's already taken. Having a bunch of birds is a never-ending soap opera.

Page 1 of 3 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next