Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Birds you may not have known could talk
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:55 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
It's no question that parrots aren't the only birds that talk. Anyone who knows of myna birds would probably be well aware of this. There are quite a few other species out there, that are also capable of speech, though no one would imagine it. Here are some I found surprising. I'll put them in order, from least surprised, to most surprised. I'd love some opinions, and see if you guys knew any of these could talk. Also, if you know of any other non-parrots that have an unbelievable capability of speech mimicking, feel free to share. :)

The first is the Myna bird (also spelled as mynah, or miner).
phpBB [video]

At first, this surprised me, because I didn't know what a myna was, at first. A lot of species are known for talking, though some are much clearer than others, and are very good at mimicking their owner's voice. While many species are known for this, it seems one of the best speakers, would be the common hill Myna.

This next one honestly didn't surprise me much after I learned about Mynas, because they're both in the same family. Starlings are also capable of speech.
phpBB [video]

This one seems very obsessed on what it's owner is doing. :lol:

These next two did catch me off guard, simply because I didn't think they had the vocal capabilities. However, because of the great intelligence of these birdsm, I would've figured, they would find one way or another to mimic their owners.
The raven
phpBB [video]

And the crow
phpBB [video]

It does seem though, that ravens have better clarity in their voices. Of course, in the wild, you're not going to hear one go "hello", or "watcha doing?", unless if they were raised in captivity and released (even then, it's not reccomended to talk to these birds, or do anything to imprint yourselves on them, if you're going to release them), but if a crow or raven was raised and kept as a pet, it's definitely possible (and legal, save for some areas).

This last one by no doubt, surprised me the most. I saw the title of the video, and decided to go ahead and kill a few seconds, thinking that it would just speak in bird gibberish and a series of chirps. What I didn't expect, was this bird to actually say "Thank you! Thank you very much!", let alone in a clear, understandable tone.
The red-headed finch, little known for it's talking ability, though possible in captivity.
phpBB [video]

I would've never thought, a finch of all birds, to be able to say something so clearly, and in such a cute voice, too. :D

What do you think of my selection of videos? Do any of the species mention surprise you with their talking capability? Do you know of any other species that are capable of speech, though not really known for it? I'd love to hear your thoughts. :)

Post subject: Re: Birds you may not have known could talk
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Wow, I didn't know finches could talk!

My first encounter with a talking crow was when I was something like 12. It was somebody's pet inside their car (which was parked with the windows open - people could do stuff like that in the 1960s), and it talked up a storm to us.

Several months ago I found out by accident that there are videos on youtube of a wild crow dropping the f-bomb.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:00 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
There are apparently several species that are capable of talking. It seems to commonly be within hand reared and tame finches though. I think gender and species play an important role as well.

I wouldn't expect a zebra finch to say anything special. From what I've heard, they just make a soft gentle "pip" (unless if they're angry, but the sound still isn't that much louder).

Gouldian finches are apparently also capable of talking. There have been stories of said finches mimicking canary songs as well.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:03 am 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
I knew mynahs, crows and ravens could talk, but I would have never imagined finches!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:44 pm 
Chick
Chick

Name: Paula
Gave happy chirps: 18 times
Got happy chirps: 8 times
The finch definitely surprised me too...the starling was interesting - I have many of those in my yard, maybe I'll have to start talking to them :rofl:

Milo- Cockatiel, hatch date 4-17-15
Bluebelle- Budgie, hatch date 4-10-12
RIP JoJo, 'tiel.
RIP Sweet Pea, budgie.
  Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:04 am 
Banned
Banned

Name: Brandon
Gave happy chirps: 28 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
JoJo's Mom wrote:
The finch definitely surprised me too...the starling was interesting - I have many of those in my yard, maybe I'll have to start talking to them :rofl:

I never knew u were on this forum

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:03 am 
Budgie
Budgie

Name: Bob
Gave happy chirps: 140 times
Got happy chirps: 52 times
yeah, the finch surprised me the most too!!

Profile E-mail  

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]