Page 5 of 7 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Worst day ever!!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:54 pm 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
I didn't really mean the drowning part LOL. I was just really frustrated about the raccoon but I know its just his/her nature :)

they are all in the garage now! the raccoon damaged the aviary, I already stated that I wont ever put them outside there again! unless supervised but their wont be a need of just putting them there.

what should I do about Bio and Georgie? they miss their Quinn so much and it breaks my heart to see them constantly sing for her. even Georgie is singing and he has an amazing voice. the last time I ever heard him sing was when he was trying to whoo Quinn and Bio is breaking his heart for her to come back

I was planning on fostering Moon and Cloudia's eggs to them but this tragedy ruined everything :(

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:00 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Barbara
Gave happy chirps: 494 times
Got happy chirps: 115 times
Poor babies, I feel for them :(
I only have one experience in bereaved birds, and that's Trilly. She would call and look for him all over the apartment, but with my surprise it didn't last long. She is one of a kind.
But I heard some heartbreaking stories, of birds calling and being upset for a very long time. I sincerely hope this won't happen to your babies, Baruch, it must be so hard to see them like that :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:08 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
Side note, have Moon and Cloudia bonded? I want Cloudia babies! (Well, maybe one day, after you all heal and are ready). So are you not going to put them in the aviary anymore?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:15 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Unfortunately there's nothing we can do to make a bird stop looking for its lost companion. They'll get over it in their own time, just as you'll get over it in yours. It's helpful that you have such a large flock, because they still have a lot of bird companions to keep them company and can choose a new love when they're ready. It's much harder when there are only two birds and one of them dies. Maybe you can whistle back to them when they sing for her. While you're interacting with them they'll be thinking about you instead of her.

I've never tried this, but srtiels sometimes fosters eggs to a single bird who's in the mood to breed. She says it works pretty well. So it might still be possible to do a little fostering, although the idea seems kind of scary to me. Sometimes a pair will let another bird help them so that might be a possibility too if Moon and Cloudia are good friends with the others.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:03 pm 
Conure
Conure

Moon and Cloudia love each other. They will eat, sleep and preen each other!
I am planning on doing that as well, I had the idea but I thought something would go wrong, is it possible if I can foster eggs to Georgie and Bio? They are to males that love Quinn.
Quote:
So are you not going to put them in the aviary anymore?

Yes, I just have to wait for them to fully heal and I have to get rid of the raccoons, my mom said she's calling the pest control to ask what we should do

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:18 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
I think you can foster the eggs to them. Send me a Cloudia baby!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

When it comes to fostering eggs to single males, I think you'll have to wait and see whether they are interested when the time comes. They might not want to raise chicks without a mate, or maybe they would. You could give them a couple of fake eggs to see what they do with them, and if they sit on them faithfully you could switch the fake eggs for real eggs. Realistic fake eggs are available at http://www.dummyeggs.com/

It would also be good to ask srtiels for advice when the time approaches. She has experience with this sort of thing and I don't. She has her Facebook cockatiel group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/ICR.unite/ and she's also a member of this group. She rarely posts here, but she might come here to answer a question if I asked her to. Not right now though, this is obviously not the time to set your birds up for breeding. IMO it would be best to wait until the school year is over so you'll have time to be more involved in the breeding process.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:18 am 
Conure
Conure

I'm not planning on breeding them now, no chance! I come home at 9:00pm twice a week and 7:00 twice a week and I won't have any time to make sure the babies are healthy. Also, moon needs to molt out the blood feathers

My question was, is it ok to let Georgie and Bio breed together and foster Cloudia and Moon's eggs? They will be a gay couple. Something like Stephanie's (Bluekeet) birds?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:09 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If that's what they want to do then yes, that's fine. srtiels reports that 'gay' males can be excellent parents. But keep in mind that they might not be good enough friends to share breeding responsibilities. Males become more aggressive and competitive when they're breeding, and may fight with birds that they're normally OK with. If they don't want to share when the time comes, you can give each one a couple of fake eggs in separate locations, and any bird that takes good care of the fakes can get one real egg to hatch out and raise. I'm assuming that you want to leave a few eggs with Moon and Cloudia.

Sometimes multiple males can peacefully raise babies together. I have an example of that in my own flock. In 2011 I was given four adult birds with five babies in the nest. The adults were three males (Pip, Elvis, and Azazel) and one hen (Ladybug). The males were raising the babies while she loafed. But for the next clutch, Ladybug decided that she only wanted Pip to be her mate and the two of them raised the babies. The other males tried to help but she attacked them. But Pip didn't seem to mind at all, and I think he would have let them help if she didn't chase them off. Elvis still tries to court Ladybug and Pip doesn't mind. Azazel has moved on, he wants Teela now lol.

I also have a threesome of one male and two hens (Vlad, Mims and Snowy). Vlad can't figure out how to mate, but I give them foster eggs and they raise the babies together. It's not unusual to have a nonstandard family arrangement, but it just depends on how well your particular birds are willing to work together.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:54 am 
Conure
Conure

Thank you for the useful information
I am planning on giving Georgie and Bio only one of Cloudia's eggs
Originally I was planning on letting Cloudia breed with Moon and Boo to breed with Quinn and when the both laid eggs I would boil all of Quinn's eggs and switch one of the infertile ones with Cloudia's eggs so Cloudia won't realize that I just stole her egg

After how many eggs they lay do you give one of them to foster?

I just remembered someone asked a question but I forgot to answer it, my cousin is 15 years old, one day younger than me

Page 5 of 7 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next