http://i1316.photobucket.com/albums/t60 ... xt6a2e.jpg

Post subject: Re: Worst day ever!!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:19 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
Yikes. Moon definitely looks hurt, was the severed head one Juno? I can't remember their markings. That was not a good thing to see, and it understandably devastated you and your flock seeing that, but from what I could tell it seemed like a raccoon attack, especially considering it was a night attack. A raccoon has human like hands that can open latches and are smart enough to realize they can push over the cages. I've had a raccoon come into the house through Q-Tip's cat door and seeking her cat food. Her food is kept in the room with the birds and it saw Beck's cage. It climbed up the table and started jiggling the cage door. I was just in the room over when I heard it and did a really foolish thing. I charged at it with a towel, threw it over it and kicked it in the towel out the door. Obviously, don't do what I did, as I am kind of a rough girl when I need to be, especially when it comes to defending my flock, but I would set some traps around the yard for it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:34 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Barbara
Gave happy chirps: 494 times
Got happy chirps: 115 times
Baruch this is horrible, if I am crying thinking about it and I don't even know your birds, I can imagine the devastation YOU must feel. This is beyond normal pain.
That bloody idiot who posted on TC must be one of those people, and there are many unfortunately, who like to kick people when they are already down. Despicable. Please do NOT even think of that person and her post. I don't even want to reply there because I'd eat her alive.
You remember when George died, and it was my fault? You had such kind words for me and believe me, if I didn't have the support of people like you who understood my pain I would have given my birds away. I would have also regretted it forever.
Your birds need you now more than ever, and they will help you heal with time. A flea market is no place for your babies.
If there are birds you didn't find any remains of, Florida is a warm place and a tiel can survive out there. You never know.
I am so sorry, I wish there was a way to take some of your pain away.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:59 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
I'm so sorry that you had to go through this and see what happened to your beloved birds this way. I think the injuries might be from flapping around the cage in a panic not from something that the animal actually did to the birds. The wing injury especially looks like the result of 'night fright' type panic flapping. You'll need to be careful that she doesn't bump the wing again and re-start the bleeding, because it looks like she lost a fair amount of blood already. Birds can actually deal with blood loss better than humans can, and will regenerate the lost blood cells fairly quickly. But you don't want her to lose any more blood in the meantime. Are the injured birds acting like they're basically OK, and eating normally?

Is it possible that Quinn was actually in the blue cage not the white cage? Because the white cage looks like it's basically undisturbed. I think there would have been more of a mess if the animal had somehow taken her out. Sometimes a predator can pull a bird out through a surprisingly small space, but lots of feathers are lost in the process.

Two of your birds are dead for sure, unfortunately there's no way around that conclusion. But it's possible that two managed to escape and are OK. So look around for them and post lost-bird notices. Were they clipped or unclipped? An unclipped bird can travel a lot farther than a clipped bird can.

I saw what that nasty person wrote on TC. I remember her name because she caused some kind of trouble in the past, but I don't remember exactly what it was. Her behavior is contemptible and she's not trying to help you, she's trying to make you feel worse. So try to ignore her because you could get better advice from pond scum. Yes there was a mistake, but everyone makes mistakes. When we're lucky nothing too bad happens as a result, but sometimes terrible things happen and there's nothing we can do to change it. You're still a loving caring owner and your remaining birds have a good home with you. You don't know what would happen to them if you rehomed them.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:04 pm 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
L
Quote:
Is it possible that Quinn was actually in the blue cage not the white cage? Because the white cage looks like it's basically undisturbed. I think there would have been more of a mess if the animal had somehow taken her out. Sometimes a predator can pull a bird out through a surprisingly small space, but lots of feathers are lost in the process.

I just noticed that Quinn's tail featheres are in the pile of feathers :(
Quinn was definitely in the white cage, I remember from the back of my head. I feel so bad for Bio, he is singing and calling the birds the whole day, I just wish I could help him :(

Have any of you had a loss from one of your pets? My heart is feeling really heavy and I feel really low, it kinda hurts me emotionally. I can't really describe the pain that I'm having but is there a way I can make it go away?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
You will feel grief because you've lost something that you loved and this is the way that love works. It's OK to find things that distract you away from your thoughts and feelings (like playing video games maybe, that tends to occupy a person's whole brain). It doesn't mean that you loved your birds any less, but it's hard to deal with the pain and people who are grieving need to get some relief from it.

I've lost pets before and it hurts a lot. At first the shock of the loss is all you can really feel. But over time the pain fades, and the memory of the good times stays with you more than the way the story ended.

Page 2 of 7 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next