Page 1 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: I love you Loki
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:38 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Name: hannah
Gave happy chirps: 46 times
Got happy chirps: 23 times
Ok, I know I haven't been on for awhile, so I'm sorry about that. I killed Loki a few months ago, and I've just been really upset about it. I wanted to make a new jungle gym for him and the other birds. I was not thinking and used duck tape to craft and hold everything together. I thought everything was fine cause I did not see him chewing on it. One night about a week later, he looked very sick. I decided I was going to take him to a vet if he didn't look better in the morning. I woke up, and he was dead in his cage. I decided to try and find out why a young bird would just die like that. I looked at the "make shift gym" and found bite marks on the duct tape. I was crying all morning....it was so sad for me. Knowing I had DONE IT AGAIN made it 10x worse. I loved that little guy and he had such a short life because of a stupid mistake. My brother offered to make a cross for him and we placed it on his grave. it sits now in front of my bedroom window...constantly reminding me of the cost foolish decisions can bring me :cry:

Caspian, and Gracie.....(cockatiels)
  Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: I love you Loki
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:52 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Gave happy chirps: 1 time
Got happy chirps: 25 times
Oh, I am so sorry for your loss. I don't think that using duck tape is a stupid idea, I think it sounds like a very sensible idea! It may not be healthy for birdies and perhaps that lead to poor Loki's passing, but it's not like you coated his toy in rat poison or something! Duck tape is used for everything and it is a sensible thing to think of when you're trying to get something to, well, stick together so I hate the idea that you're beating yourself up over that choice. Also, maybe it wasn't even the tape, it could have been a zillion other things.

It's hard enough to lose a beloved pet, I hate to think that you're beating yourself up over it as well. I'm sure Loki had a very happy life.

Be gentle with yourself. :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:53 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
I am so sorry Hannah. He was a gorgeous little guy. But please, don't take it out on yourself. We're only human. Just so you know, I've killed a bird too. One of my best friends, Teak. He was sad that his budgie best friend, JB, died, so I wanted to make him happy and I gave him a big dish of his favorite food, sunflower seeds. He ate the whole dish throughout the day and the next day he was gone.

I've actually never told anybody that part because I feel so guilty every time I think about him and I knew it was a dumb mistake. I picked up his warm, fluffy body and took him somewhere private and sobbed on his belly.

But that was a few years ago. I'm saying all this because we all make mistakes. We all know you, and I, were trying to do a good thing for our pets because we love them.

I'm sorry you lost Loki.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:29 pm 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
Duct tape is dangerous for birds?!?!?! The flat perches that goes all around the aviary is covered with duct tape with chew marks all over it. I tink thats why Griffin is sick. But it doesnt make sense because my other birds chew it and they are fine. Is that why Griffin is sick??!?

Im SO sorry for your loss of Loki. :sorry:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:20 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
Im sure most of us have done something we thought was right, and it wasn't for our birds...
It was a mistake, so don't take it too heart... I've lost a bird through a daft thing I did... its made me very aware what I do or try now...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:05 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Name: hannah
Gave happy chirps: 46 times
Got happy chirps: 23 times
Thanks everyone...I appreciate the sympathy. Baruch, I think that's possibly why he's sick...... :?

Caspian, and Gracie.....(cockatiels)
  Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:30 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
I'm so sorry that you lost him. I think all of us here have lost birds due to something that was preventable, and it's very sad when it happens. But no one is perfect and we can't foresee everything, so we're going to make mistakes sometimes.

We can't be sure that it was the duct tape that caused Loki's death, but it was possible. Foreign material in the crop that a bird can't get rid of can interfere with their ability to process food.

Baruch, if you think that Griffin might be sick because of ingesting tape, you can give him a little grit to help him get rid of it. Most places on the internet will tell you that grit is dangerous and causes crop impaction, but I think this is incorrect. Grit is considered to be an effective cure for crop impaction with soft material, which is what might be going on here. It's also been found to be the best way to get rid of metal objects that a bird has ingested. What you want is insoluble grit - hard rock that won't dissolve. Sand is perfect, and you're in Florida so you can probably find some pretty easily. Just make sure it's clean. There's a long article on grit on the main website, in the health and nutrition section. The hard drive on my PC died a few days ago and I'm using a tablet right now, so my ability to post links has been severely impaired.

Stephanie, I doubt that a bird could die from an all-day sunflower feast. It wouldn't be healthy as the everyday diet, but one day of indulgence shouldn't do any harm. His death was probably caused by something else and it was a coincidence that it came right after the sunflower treat.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:09 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
Are you sure? I could've sworn I stopped his heart somehow with the excessive sunflower seeds...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
I don't see how it could happen. It would be like a human dying from eating too much cake. It wouldn't be healthy to eat excessive amounts all the time, but doing it once in a while just can't do that much damage if you're basically healthy. It might give you an upset stomach or take your blood sugar on a roller coaster ride, but it isn't going to kill you.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:54 pm 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
I agree. When I first read how Teak died I thought I was reading something wrong because I also didn't think that it was because of sunflower seeds.

Carolyn, so basically, I just feed Griffin sand? How do I clean it? How much do I feed? And how do I feed it to him?

Page 1 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next