Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Kablooie
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:20 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Name: Erik
Gave happy chirps: 113 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
I came back home, and he looked great. He was jumping around, having fun, eating. His feathers were not fluffed up. He looked, okay.

I put him back into his cage a while later, and he slept for a while. When I came back like an hour or so, he was laying on the ground, with his wings completely open. His feet were clumped. He was twisting his head backwards and upwards. I took him and he was loose. He fell to the side and anywhere gravity pulled him. I took him inside and he opened up his wings and started flapping his wings like crazy, and he was twitching in my hands.

I called a vet immediately, but he was useless. He asked me what I had fed him. I told him I gave him Kaytee lovebird and budgie pellets, some vegetables and Lafeber Nutrieberries. He asked what Nutrieberries were, so I told him they were seeds like millet and other stuff. He told me that I shouldn't had given him any seeds. That seeds were bad for him because they're just fat and have no nutritional value in them, he then said it was my fault he's dying because I gave him seeds. He then said he wanted to help, BUT THE VET WASN'T THERE. I had been talking to some sort of assistant or something. I then said thank you and hung up.

My parents had made a reservation for our whole family in a restaurant, so when I figured out, we were all just about to leave. I showed him to my dad and the first thing he said was: Are you gonna get your money back? I looked at him hatefully because Kablooie wasn't dead. My brother replied to him saying the bird was ensured, but they weren't gonna give me the money back, they would exchange him for another bird. My mom said it was getting late, but she didn't want to go like that, "with Erik bothering us about his sick bird". They said I couldn't do anything about it and just let nature take place.

When I told them I wanted to stay, they told me it was a special night and I couldn't ruin it with "just some stupid bird". Then they threatened me with everything I had. I didn't reply to them, I just ignored them and they left.

As I was sitting down looking at him in his cage, I saw he stopped moving. He was dead.

I know I have only had Kablooie for a week, but the relationship I had with him was priceless. He was very brave, not scared of almost anything. He was so sweet, he liked to snuggle in the cage covers and hop around. He had even started to accept head scritches. But now, he's dead. And I don't even know why. I feel so helpless considering everything that happened today.

I'm sorry.

Post subject: Re: Kablooie
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:53 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
I'm so sorry! I was worried about him and hoped he would be all right, but it didn't turn out well.

It sounds like he was having a seizure, which is a neurological (nerve/brain) problem. I had wondered about seizures before when you said his feet were clumped up. If it was a seizure it wasn't because of anything you did, it was because of some kind of defect that he already had when you got him.

Here are some articles on seizures that may help you understand what happened. You'll probably never know the exact reason for it, but you'll see how similar it is to what happened with Kablooie and the types of things that can cause it.

https://www.beautyofbirds.com/seizures.html

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-he ... -birds/929

http://mickaboo.org/newsletter/jan12/art6.2.html

http://www.exoticpetvet.net/avian/seizures2.html

Malnutrition can be one possible cause, but he wasn't with you long enough for the food you gave him to have anything to do with it. It would have been caused by a poor diet for a long time before you got him. Nutriberries aren't like plain seeds, they're designed to be equivalent to pellets, and might have been the most nutritious food he's ever had. The assistant you talked to sounds like a nasty, ignorant person who didn't know what he was talking about.

Some types of seizures can be triggered by stress when the person/animal has an underlying condition like epilepsy, and I think that might have happened here. Moving to a new home is very stressful, and I've talked to people on other boards who had birds that would have seizures when they were stressed.

You can ask the people that you bought him from whether they observed any problems with him in the past, and hope that they tell you the truth. Maybe they saw something and maybe they didn't. If you decide to get another lovebird, go for one that's not related to Kablooie in case he had a genetic defect that caused it.

I'm sorry again that it turned out this way. You must be feeling very sad.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:03 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Name: Erik
Gave happy chirps: 113 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
Thank you. I will go tomorrow to the pet store and ask them. The day I bought him, his cage had sunflower seeds as food, and water, nothing else. So I think it was that.

Do you think he could've been ill? Like with an infection or a parasite? I'm worried the flock might've contracted something and may be sick.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:37 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There's no way to be sure. But most of the time seizures are caused by something that is not contagious. The rest of the flock is probably safe, but keep an eye on them to be sure.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:42 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Birds that have a contagious disease usually don't clench their feet. It's not a common symptom. But it can be a symptom of a neurological problem which is why I think it might have been a seizure.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:46 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:30 pm 
Egg
Egg

Name: enigma731
Gave happy chirps: 0 time
Got happy chirps: 5 times
Carolyn asked me to take a look at this thread and weigh in on the medical stuff.

Obviously all we can do at this point is speculate because we are not vets, but unfortunately I personally do think there is reason to suspect an infection in this case. While seizures can have many non-infectious causes, it's very common for birds that are seriously ill to have loss of motor control toward the end. The clenched feet, in combination with the lethargy and weakness you described in the other thread, sound more like a symptom of an advanced infection to me than a primarily neurological illness. If it was a primary neurological disorder, I would expect the neurological symptoms (clenched feet, seizure) to happen first, possibly followed by being fluffed up/lethargic/weak. But in this case, it happened in the opposite order, which makes me suspect an infection, probably made worse by the stressful transition to a new home. Infectious diseases are also much more common in birds than neurological disorders in general.

I would disinfect the environment as much as you can, watch the rest of your flock closely, and try to come up with a plan to get them vet care if needed. Hopefully you won't need it, but it's best to be prepared.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:19 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for your help! You know a lot more about the medical stuff than I do, so your opinion is VERY helpful.

Post subject: Kablooie
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:14 am 
Finch
Finch

Gave happy chirps: 103 times
Got happy chirps: 16 times
Oh no! I'm so sorry for your loss!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:31 am 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
Thank you Michalle, and Carolyn for your opinions. They did help me better understanding what went wrong.

Erik, I'm so sorry you lost him. It was not your fault. He was sick before you got him. Seeds are a natural part of birds diet so it's pretty dumb how he thought it would have killed him. Something more technical happened in this case.

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next