PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:05 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
It's time!

It's time!

It's time for another Ms. Know-It-All moment!!!

Birds are terrible pets. They are not domesticated animals like dogs and cats, and thus have no place in a human household. They are either small and stupid or large and intelligent, and neither are suited to be appropriate animal companions.

Small birds make terrible pets, of course. They are not very intelligent and they lack the positive attributes of larger birds. I'm thinking here of finches, wrens and the like. These creatures exist to tweet and soil their cages. They are not affectionate, and they don't live very long. Small birds may be beautiful to look at, but who wants to admire a caged animal trying to escape at every opportunity? That's just sad; these animals are better admired in their natural state, outside, as nature intended.

Large birds are the worst. The number one negative trait that these creature have is a long, human-like lifespan. That means that, if you get one of these birds while they are young and you are an adult, chances are that the bird will outlive you. This means that the bird will outlive you, which is a terrible situation. The bird will either be foisted on an unwilling relative or friend, or set free. In my neighborhood, there are several tropical parrots that are living wild in the trees; these birds were set free when their owner died. They have an unpleasant, loud call that can be frequently heard at all hours of the day or night, and they chase off the more pleasant songbirds. Having a pet with such a long lifespan is, ultimately, an irresponsible act.

Some may say, but large birds are intelligent and some species can even mimic human speech and other sounds. Very rarely is this mimicking pleasant -- many of these birds habitually produce unpleasant sounds completely unaware of the different meaning attached to the sounds they are making ("oh, he likes to make a car alarm sound every now and then"). As for intelligence, it's true that these birds can be quite intelligent, but this only makes their captivity more offensive. Few things are more depressing than an intelligent, non-domesticated caged animal. Even if these animals are released from their cages from time to time, they are restrained in an alien environment for fear that they will fly away; it's as if they are being held in some sort of bird jail.

So for all of these reasons, birds make terrible pets. This brief article doesn't even contemplate how messy birds are, or how they are incompatible with dogs and (especially) cats, or their other unpleasant qualities. Birds are better left in the wild.

Found here:
http://formosangirl.hubpages.com/hub/Wh ... rible-Pets

Shall I begin? Let us start at the beginning of the author's paragraph:

Birds are wonderful pets. It all depends on how you see it. Birds are exotic. And yes, you would be right when you say that birds are not domesticated like cats and dogs, but this does not automatically boot them out as impossible companions to coexist with.

"Small birds make terrible pets, of course. They are not very intelligent and they lack the positive attributes of larger birds. I'm thinking here of finches, wrens and the like. These creatures exist to tweet and soil their cages. They are not affectionate, and they don't live very long."

What is your intention when you say "small and stupid or large and intelligent"? Are you saying size has something to do with intelligence? Are you saying a dwarf is less intelligent than a full size adult? Perhaps that a Yorkie is dumber than a Great Dane? A Munchkin is retarded in comparison to a Maine Coon? Size does not mean one thing in reference to intelligence and that certainly does not exclude parrots. A budgie is smart, just like an African Grey is smart. A parrotlet can do the same tricks an macaw can. A cockatiel can learn songs like a cockatoo can. Size means nothing. And it does not impact intelligence.

Now let's tackle a little in the body of your paragraph.

"Small birds make terrible pets, of course. They are not very intelligent and they lack the positive attributes of larger birds. I'm thinking here of finches, wrens and the like. These creatures exist to tweet and soil their cages. They are not affectionate, and they don't live very long. Small birds may be beautiful to look at, but who wants to admire a caged animal trying to escape at every opportunity? That's just sad; these animals are better admired in their natural state, outside, as nature intended."

Terrible, terrible, terrible, what's with your overuse of "terrible"? No matter, we'll work on your limited list of adjectives later. For now, let's focus on your claim about small birds. You mention finches, wrens and from your vague use of "small birds", it's safe to say you also mean budgies, linnies, lovebirds and parrotlets. You are correct when you say they tweet and soil their cages. Cats meow and soil their litterboxes. Dogs bark and soil your yard. What's your point? Living animals generally make noises and relieve themselves. If you don't then you may very well be a hunk of granite. Hmm... they're not affectionate now are they? Wrong. Small creatures can show their affection. Perhaps not in ways you may know, but they can show affection in their own way. I had a fish who was considered an aggressive kind of fish that I could stroke with my finger. I've had a lizard who was considered a very aggressive lizard and she would fall asleep on my hand and take food from my fingers. Birds like to cuddle as well. Nothing is better than a good scritch, especially during molts. Hey, they'll even repay the favor back to you! How's that for a stupid, small bird not being affectionate? Although, your last statement can be very true indeed. Some wrens and finches and others of that sort sometimes really are not interested in being pets. They would rather be free. But some can be friendly. I have seen some handfed finches still able to be handled. And of course the small hookbill can be handled and interacted with. They are both beautiful to look at and to interact and form a bond with.

"Large birds are the worst. The number one negative trait that these creature have is a long, human-like lifespan. That means that, if you get one of these birds while they are young and you are an adult, chances are that the bird will outlive you. This means that the bird will outlive you, which is a terrible situation. The bird will either be foisted on an unwilling relative or friend, or set free. In my neighborhood, there are several tropical parrots that are living wild in the trees; these birds were set free when their owner died. They have an unpleasant, loud call that can be frequently heard at all hours of the day or night, and they chase off the more pleasant songbirds. Having a pet with such a long lifespan is, ultimately, an irresponsible act."

I definitely wouldn't say large birds are the worst. You focus on the negative trait of large parrots. There are always positives to combat the negatives. It is accurate when you say they live long lives. 25 to 80 years. Having a large bird is a big commitment. And a good parrot owner should know this before you get a parrot. Even if you do your homework after the fact you have one, and improve upon yourself, you are doing just fine. The mistake most people make when they get a new feathered companion, it's an impulse buy because of its beauty or intelligence. When it gets loud, destructive or a pain in the neck, it's passed on. And on. And on. Bouncing from home to home over the years. A responsible bird owner should know if their bird outlives them, you need to arrange a good home for it so it's not "foisted on an unwilling relative or friend." We all know how that story ends. But wait... go back and re-read the third paragraph. Then come back here.

Are you back? Did something odd jump out at you? It did me.

"Set free"? NO!!! Who releases a tropical bird with no idea how to survive on its own in a completely unsuitable environment, far from what it's used to? No wonder you hate birds. It's probably why your neighborhood parrots stick around you so close. Suffer the consequences of ignorance.

"Some may say, but large birds are intelligent and some species can even mimic human speech and other sounds. Very rarely is this mimicking pleasant -- many of these birds habitually produce unpleasant sounds completely unaware of the different meaning attached to the sounds they are making ("oh, he likes to make a car alarm sound every now and then"). As for intelligence, it's true that these birds can be quite intelligent, but this only makes their captivity more offensive. Few things are more depressing than an intelligent, non-domesticated caged animal. Even if these animals are released from their cages from time to time, they are restrained in an alien environment for fear that they will fly away; it's as if they are being held in some sort of bird jail."

Large birds are intelligent. Small birds are intelligent. Budgies, cockatiels, parrotlets, Amazons, African Greys, macaws, cockatoos and more can learn to mimic. Unpleasant or not, they like the noise and they will do it! They are free thinking animals with a brain. Dogs won't ever cease barking. They bark because they like it and it's how they convey their feelings. If you want something that you can control its vocalizations, get a puppet. As for wanting to fly, that will never be bred out of a bird. I can guarantee you, even when birds become domesticated, the desire to fly will never completely leave them. Free like the wind, not held down and certainly not to obey the commands of people just like a "domesticated" pet would. Birds, much like the lands they come from, are free, wild and beautiful. People who get a bird should expect, yes, a wild creature in their homes. Don't have the bird accommodate to humans. It's not what they were put on the Earth for.

But, it can be very upsetting to see something so smart and beautiful to be kept in a cage. Even with several hours of out time and attention from owners, sometimes it's just not enough. That statement is the smartest thing out of this whole article. I agree, some very emotionally needy, smart animals should not be in captivity, however, some are very pleased with that way of live, although some poor care of them makes this even harder to see.

"So for all of these reasons, birds make terrible pets. This brief article doesn't even contemplate how messy birds are, or how they are incompatible with dogs and (especially) cats, or their other unpleasant qualities. Birds are better left in the wild."

You made some valid points, I admit on the fact that some birds are never meant to be caged, but you must have forgotten that some birds can live happy lives with people. Domestication doesn't mean a thing in having a friend. I rather enjoy having some birds who aren't attached at my hip like some other pets. I like to have a free thinking creature. It's more rewarding to form a bond with a wild animal. While it's satisfying to start a bond with a common, domesticated pet, nothing can compare to having a creature, as free as the wind, be your life long friend. Yes, birds are messy. Cats can be messy. Dogs can be messy. Cat drag litter around the house and dogs track in dirt. Sure birds are incompatible with cats and dogs. Cats and dogs have high prey drives and birds are prey. You can't blame them for their instincts, but it doesn't mean just because they may not get along doesn't make them worse than a cat or dog. And just remember, for any unpleasant quality, there is a pleasant quality.

Last edited by Bluekeet on Thu May 08, 2014 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Why birds make terrible pets
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:45 am 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Name: hannah
Gave happy chirps: 46 times
Got happy chirps: 23 times
Wow! Nice job Stephanie! Is the author of the article going to see this? How long did it take you to write? I'm really impressed!

Caspian, and Gracie.....(cockatiels)
  Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:44 am 
Quaker
Quaker

No I doubt it. I noticed I may have written it sloppy by not adding quotations around the authors writing. I may go back and add those in. That took me an hour and a half to write.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:21 am 
Quaker
Quaker

There. Edited and all done.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:48 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Barbara
Gave happy chirps: 494 times
Got happy chirps: 115 times
Which unpleasant qualities??? I hate this person.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:52 am 
Quaker
Quaker

Well, I did have to give them kudos in the case that some birds really aren't meant to be pets, but the ones that are are not stupid!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:59 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
I don't pay much attention to the anti-pet people, apart from making sure they don't interfere with my rights. They just don't get it, and their lives are poorer for it.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:10 am 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
Very well written!

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:58 am 
Quaker
Quaker

tielfan wrote:
I don't pay much attention to the anti-pet people, apart from making sure they don't interfere with my rights. They just don't get it, and their lives are poorer for it.

Very true, but my mind wanders and I enjoy writing about it. I'm a very poor writer so I practice on stuff like this.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:07 am 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
Your writing wasn't bad at all.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]