It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 5 of 8 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: 5 Things We Did Not Know About You.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:01 am 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
Aw, Erik, no big deal. You're among friends here. My best friend is actually more lesbian than not. I can honestly say that I did consider if I felt romantic relationships with women, but I definitely did not. I find myself attracted to males. It's a completely normal thing to try and find out. It's better you be honest with yourself so you make the right choice and be happy down the line. :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:30 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
Erik, it's ok if you don't feel like you know yourself. I've been through that at your age. My advice: take your time in finding out. I tried to rush through deciding who I am in hopes of "out-maturing" my peers (which is the most immature thing I've ever done), and ended up taking longer than I felt comfortable with. :lol: You're still young, and like Carolyn said, your personality is still developing. Besides. We still love you either way! :D

And Baruch (this might be the first time I've read your name. :P) I too have been through depression. It's something that I've dealt with throughout middle school and high school, and sometimes it comes back in short spells. If you need someone to talk to who will listen, I'm here. ;)

I bet you could be a really good biologist if you wanted to, Carolyn. Since you keep your mind busy doing complex things, learning that kind of stuff wouldn't be that hard.

I thought if being a veterinarian, but I honestly can't handle blood. :P Small bouts like broken blood feathers and nails are ok, but surgery level of blood is a no-no for me. :lol: Plus I suck at math. I scored so low in my college math placement test, that they told me to take philosophy to fulfil the math credit.
I mean, would you trust a vet that can't do math?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:39 am 
Banned
Banned

Name: Brandon
Gave happy chirps: 28 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
I think I wanna be an Avian vet but I am very bad at maths but im very good at Science and always get a high percentage.I definitely wanna do something that involves parrots.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:58 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
It does take some math to be a veterinarian, but it's probably just basic stuff like calculating the right dosage of medicine for the animal's body weight. A calculator could handle it if you understand the basic principles, and have your wits about you enough to recognize a wrong answer when you don't punch it in right. I can't help with the fear of blood part, but I've heard that this is something people get used to.

Math is really more about understanding the logic than it is about the actual numbers - if you know what steps you need to take to solve a certain problem, a machine can do the actual number crunching for you. Jessi, I can see that you're very analytical so you could probably get the hang of it if you were willing to put in the effort. I'm guessing that basic algebra didn't click for you in the beginning and that derailed everything that came after it. But a little remedial math might open some doors for you. Algebra didn't click right away for my son either, but he caught on later. Now he's a super math geek whose job uses the kind of math where I don't know what the symbols mean.

But there's one unanswered question here for me. In what universe does philosophy count as math? Maybe it's because philosophy uses logic to reach its conclusions and math does too.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:20 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
Heck if I should know. Medical, engineering, and science majors do require to actually take certain math classes, so philosophy wouldn't cut it. I think it's moreso on the fine arts majors, where it would count.

But the University of Arizona has a very weird system for a lot of things. Flexible rules, and a complex things. Don't even get me started on the complexity of all their websites. Doesn't help that almost everything you do in college is technology based, these days.

I mean, if you're gonna make it so students, teachers and staff have to do everything online, at least make your websites easier to navigate! :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:45 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Engineering and some of the sciences require the use of advanced mathematical equations so philosophy definitely wouldn't cut it for them lol. Fine arts not so much, although you have to deal with intervals in music and proportions in the visual arts.

I hear you on the suckiness of the university website, and it's not just the UA. It's a real challenge just to find the course catalog or an easy to use faculty directory on the university websites that I've seen. I have library privileges at the UA, and when I'm looking for a scientific paper or book it always takes me a while to make the computer start spitting out the stuff that I'm looking for.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:29 pm 
Finch
Finch

Gave happy chirps: 103 times
Got happy chirps: 16 times
1. I have 2 tiels, (gray and Pikachu) and 3 dogs (bella, blacky- german shepherd, and copper - husky)

2. married, no kids (human)

3. born in mexico, living in USA since 3 years ago

4. English is my second language (bear with me would you?!)

5. and my name is Hilda

and I'm loving this forum so much!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:48 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Name: Erik
Gave happy chirps: 113 times
What part of Mexico are you from?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:03 pm 
Finch
Finch

Gave happy chirps: 103 times
Got happy chirps: 16 times
Chihuahua state

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:07 pm 
Banned
Banned

Name: Brandon
Gave happy chirps: 28 times
eddieparrot5 wrote:
Chihuahua state

Thats actually a place lol cool.

Page 5 of 8 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next