It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 3 of 4 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Why am I getting so sad all of a sudden?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:16 am 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
Thank you everyone so much. I feel so much better.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:44 am 
Conure
Conure

Quote:
I have a feeling that school is the biggest reason that you're feeling unhappy, but you're thinking about Bio instead because this is safer train of thought in many ways. It was terrible to lose him but at least that loss is over and done with and you don't have to worry about the future because of him.

Okay okay your right! It IS because of that. My mom just told me that I can't go that school because it doesn't have that religion. She said I can either make a plan to do religious stuff it go to the school my cousin is going to.

Last edited by Feathers on Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:47 am 
Conure
Conure

I KNOW people are mean in that school. I heard from people. And my cousins are going there which makes it 1,000,000 times worse. My mom is thinking that this will make more more religious but she is wrong. I want to convert now. I didn't tell her this nor do I want to.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:32 am 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
You know I secretly converted to a diest. The belief in God but not crazy about religion. But, I'm not a full diest. I do believe in Jesus, the crucifixion and resurrection. The rest just kind of goes over my head. I switched because I saw a lot of religions fighting over which one is correct. I thought religion was supposed to be open and peaceful. So I dropped religion altogether and just went back to basics.

I noticed if you are forced into a religion, it makes you reject it even more.

Last edited by Bluekeet on Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:17 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Quote:
She said I can either make a plan to do religious stuff it go to the school my cousin is going to.

My recommendation is to make a plan to do some regular religion-related stuff on condition that you can go to the school of your choice. Just go through the motions with the religious stuff if you don't feel it in your heart. It will take up some of your spare time but it will have a lot less impact on your life than going to that school would. Maybe you can find a nice religion-centered group that mostly focuses on pleasant social activities, like having dinner together once a week or having "field trip" type activities. There might be a special-interest group that's organized through a church/temple or other religious group. I used to work with a guy who played on a religion-themed basketball team. This guy didn't act like he was religious at all and I think it was more of a cultural association than anything else. You probably won't find a religion-themed bird club but a big church/temple might have a chess club or something else that you might enjoy. A small one might not have anything but middle of the week prayer groups or religious services, but going to something like that once a week would be better than going to a school you hate. If you're bored during the events you could think about something else, or maybe sneak your homework in and get it done there lol.

There's no objective evidence for the existence (or non-existence) of any deity, and religious belief or the lack of it is based on what you perceive to be the truth. If something doesn't look real to you, then hearing more of the same arguments that already failed to convince you won't change anything. But kids have to make a reasonable effort to please their parents, so try to find a compromise that will make your mother happier without completely wrecking your own life.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:32 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You might not even have to go outside the house to meet the religion requirement. Would it satisfy your mother if you spent an hour or two a week reading religious books? You could do it in the kitchen or living room where she could see you doing it, and if you wanted to you could have conversations with her afterward about what you just read.

She probably has no idea how dangerous reading religious books can be lol. Reading the Bible is what converted me to atheism. I have excellent reading comprehension, and the more I read the book the more the story didn't make sense to me. In the end, the feeling that this stuff couldn't possibly be true was stronger than the threat of hellfire that had been dangled in front of me all my life. I couldn't find any other religious doctrine that looked like it was any more fact-based so I stopped assuming that there had to be some kind of intelligent higher power in the universe. I'll start believing again right after somebody shows me some objective evidence indicating that it's actually true.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:38 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I hope there's been some positive change in the school issue. But if not, your mother might benefit from seeing this link that I call "the Great Wall of Einstein": http://tinyurl.com/ngahn3e

It's actually the image gallery results from a google search. The quote is usually attributed to Einstein but no one really knows where it came from. There's one picture in there that attributes it to Ben Franklin, and another one where Samuel L. Jackson's Pulp Fiction character gets into the act. There's some random other stuff in there too but overall it's entertaining and it makes a point. Making you go to a school you hated didn't turn out well in the past and it's not likely to turn out any better if it happens again.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:44 am 
Conure
Conure

Ah, there's no way I'm going to that other school. Before 9th grade, we were looking for schools for me and I really wanted to go to the school that my mom wants me to go to know. She didn't want me to go there so she put me in the terrible school where I came home at 9:00pm twice a week. The other two days I came home at 7:00pm. I had Sunday school also which ended at 1:15pm. Fridays ended at 1:45 pm.

I dropped out in the middle of the year because I couldn't take it anymore. I started hurting myself and having suicide thoughts but I stopped right after I left that school. I didn't do it for attention, I did it because I felt that life was terrible and it would be much better to die than to live. Remember, I was bullied and made fun of there as well.

I didn't go to school for the rest of the year but my mom made me to to a school that was even worse than the one before. I only went for the religion part because they were ahead of me in all the English classes. I didn't go there because everyday, school would end at 6:30pm and then we had to come back at 7:30pm and finish at 9:30pm EVERY weekday. Sundays ended at 3:30pm there.

Since I missed half a year of school, I only had half the credits for 9th grade so I went to a school that had a summer program called Allison Academy. I just found out yesterday that I got an A+ for math, an A for writing, and a B+ for Biology. Those grades might seem sucking but to be honest it was the best grades I ever got in my life.

The school my mom wants me to go to isn't bad at all. I am just afraid that people are going to make fun of me and that my cousin is going there. I have two cousins, they are twins and were born a day after me so everything they do is a competition with me. One of them is nice and the other one is terrible but they both have bad quities. They are VERY sneaky and they are two-faced meaning they seem good on the outside but in the inside they are devils. I don't want to go in the same school as them. The good side is that the nice one is going to that school and the mean one is dropping out until he is 16 so he can do online school.

Quote:
She probably has no idea how dangerous reading religious books can be lol. Reading the Bible is what converted me to atheism. I have excellent reading comprehension, and the more I read the book the more the story didn't make sense to me. In the end, the feeling that this stuff couldn't possibly be true was stronger than the threat of hellfire that had been dangled in front of me all my life. I couldn't find any other religious doctrine that looked like it was any more fact-based so I stopped assuming that there had to be some kind of intelligent higher power in the universe. I'll start believing again right after somebody shows me some objective evidence indicating that it's actually true.

I agree with this 110%

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:46 am 
Conure
Conure

...edit...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:54 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Barbara
Gave happy chirps: 494 times
Got happy chirps: 115 times
Baruch I think it is a phase of your life. Plus, I think everyone has the right to enjoy a bit of melancholy, or cry, or just feeling sorry for themselves. People who never cry make me suspicious lol

Page 3 of 4 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next