Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Garden planning tools
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:40 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Barbara
Gave happy chirps: 494 times
Got happy chirps: 115 times
I am preparing my garden for the winter, and while I'm doing it I decided to set it up the way I'd like it.
At the moment it is just like I found it when I moved in, all lawn with narrow beds around, just like a picture of a lawn with some bare ground as frame. I really don't like it.

I have been trying desperately to find a web app or a software dedicated to garden planning, one of those where you input all the measurements and then start adding paths, flower beds etc.
I couldn't find anything!!!

There is one that's dedicated to vegetable gardens, so it's not really what I'm looking for because I want to plant veggies AND bushes and flowers...

So this is my question: do you guys know of some kind of software I can use to plan my garden?
I already bought some bushes and seasonal seeds, I just need a bit of planning and decide where to put them!
If I don't find anything I will have to use paper and pencil which is a pain in the neck because you spend all the time erasing stuff.

Any idea is super welcome :)

Post subject: Re: Garden planning tools
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:11 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
I looked all over the web for a programme for garden planning... I didn't find one!
I also tried to purchase one couldn't find that either... there has to be something there, or are they just for people in the profession.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:41 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

There is one quite good about veggie gardening, tells you how many plants to put in adeterminate space, the seasonal stuff, and plus it has rhe garden planner. It costs nothing for 30 days then you pay £15 per year, which is not too much if it's really useful.
So if you are interested in veggie gardening that one is for you, you find it on a website called mother earth news and a few other websites have it too.

That's the only one I have found :(

I was thinking to use one of those web applications where you can design your own home, hoping that it makes me design the garden too... there are a few of them and they are all free (mostly).

But how is it possible that there is none dedicated to gardens??? It's really weird.
Let's keep looking, and maybe one of our american friends knows of a good one, they are still asleep, the slackers! :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:09 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Try looking at landscape planning instead of garden planning. It won't tell you when to plant certain crops, but it tells you how to look at your yard as a whole and design an attractive and convenient overall plan. If there are specific features or plants you want (like vegetables), you take their lighting needs etc into account while you're deciding on the general layout.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:31 am 
Finch
Finch

Gave happy chirps: 47 times
Got happy chirps: 10 times
I found this site that had a vegetable planning guide that was free
http://gardenplanner.almanac.com/garden ... nner.html# I didn't try playing with it so I don't know how easy it is to use. I agree with Carolyn that you may search under landscape design to see what you may find. There are things for professional landscapers to use but these are expensive. My son who is a landscaper had one but he never used it. There are design books that you may find in the library. A lot of seed and plant catalogs will show some designs for individual beds. Our local nurserys here in Delaware will help with landscape design as a service because they know you will buy plants from them. trying to do a whole yard at one time is a very big project and one that can be very costly. My husband was a gardnerer and ur yard just evolved over time. But it is good to have an overall plan for continuity. Good Luck, I am anxious to hear where you have started.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:16 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
Were you looking for one which you could put in your own measurements and then move the stuff around to see where it looks best?
Still cant find one like that!
I purchased one a few years back to change hairstyles around on heads, face shapes long hair short hair colours curls straight.. ect... cost me a lot of money... why am I talking about this, as it not what you asked about? :applaud: :applaud:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:13 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
There's a nondigital version of Jan's idea (for the garden not the hairstyles lol). Make a drawing showing the shape of your yard. Then you have several options:

1. Make a bunch of copies of it so you can draw different arrangements on different pages
2. Cut shapes out of paper representing flower beds, walkways etc and lay them on top of the yard shape to test different arrangements on the basic outline
3. Use tracing paper or some other kind of overlay sheet to try out different arrangements on top of the basic outline

There are probably other ways to do it, I just haven't thought of them yet!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:12 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

I really have basic needs at the moment. I didn't need something that tells me about plants or calendar. I need to lay out the shape, add the few things already there, and then try out paths and location of bushes.
The idea of looking for landscaping tools is great, thank you for the suggestion, and if I can't find anything at all I will go with paper and cutouts.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:54 am 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
Good luck with your garden! I love gardening. I find it so relaxing. And, it gives the birds and crabs a fresh snack too.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:31 pm 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
Good luck gardening! You inspired me to start gardening again. I stopped because those pesky lizards demolished my plants the last time I planted something outside. I added some carrot tops to the pot as well. Lets see how the grow in dirt instead of water.

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next