All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Has anyone found
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:28 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
Has anyone found that reflective toys mirrors etc. that budgies can see them selves in make their bird a little nasty or territorial?
Ive found with Bryni he has been getting nasty in his cage... Ive taken out all reflective toys, feed bowls anything he can see himself in, to see if this calms him down...they have all been replaced with new toys and plastic feed bowls... he has gone quite bossy since Sparkle has joined him...
Do Mirrors etc make a difference to birds? anyone has problems like this?

Post subject: Re: Has anyone found
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:30 am 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
Yes, I have. Mirrors really aren't good for birds. If they do play with them, use sparingly, like as a treat.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:22 am 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Gave happy chirps: 1 time
Got happy chirps: 25 times
Coyote doesn't care about mirrors at all. Totally disinterested in them whether big or small.

The budgies are more interested though. They do have a couple of toys with tiny little round mirrors which seems to infatuate Cloud (female) a little bit, not to the point that she's regurgitating to it or fighting it, but she looooves those toys and plays with them (appropriately, if banging them around aggressively is appropriate, which for her, I think is, she's just like that) more than most other toys. Ninja seems to dislike mirrors, gets mad at it and has learned to avoid the little round one I have hanging on the playgym that Waffles likes to sing to sometimes. So, 3 different budgies, 3 different responses to mirrors. One weird cockatiel who is completely indifferent to them. I guess it's yet another individual bird thing and if it seems to make them mad or aggressive or weird in a bad way, I'd just take that thing right out.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:58 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
What a difference 24 hours has made... I've a calmer, friendly budgie.... I just cant believe it was that mirror...
I've removed all reflective toys bowls, even the clips which hold the cuttle fish, everything is just colour now.... no glitter etc for my budgies....
As you said, my 2 tiels, when I had them didn't careless about mirrors or glittery stuff... must be each bird is different... Thanks for your reply...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:48 am 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Gave happy chirps: 1 time
Got happy chirps: 25 times
Yaaay. It's so nice when the fix is so easy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Birds perceive mirrors as another bird, and will be romantic, aggressive, or indifferent to it depending on how they feel about having another bird around. If they consider the mirror to be their mate, they consider any other bird to be a potential rival that they should attack.

Mirrors have their uses, especially with single birds that don't have a live feathered companion. But they need to be used wisely, according to the needs and personality of the bird.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]